The Second I Saw Him Breath Into His Reg On The Surface I Knew He Was Doomed...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to think that all the faces seen are actors and everything is a reinactment. There is just no way an experienced ice diver is going to make all these mistakes, wearing a snorkel no less, in front of several more experienced ice divers, while not one person comments on on any of it then or afterwards. This video is as credible as seeing an experienced, active diver zip his suit up the back to front.

I have to think that all the faces seen are actors and everything is a reinactment. There is just no way an experienced ice diver is going to make all these mistakes, wearing a snorkel no less, in front of several more experienced ice divers, while not one person comments on on any of it then or afterwards. This video is as credible as seeing an experienced, active diver zip his suit up the back to front.

That was my thought process. The snorkel really gives it away lol...

That was my thought process. The snorkel really gives it away lol...

Until I saw the "accident" video and then the same couple commenting later, it had never occured to me that the family in those typical "our lives today and thoughts about the accident" were presented by actors, probably on sets (not real homes) with any speaking kids all screen actors guild members. I feel like such a rube :-D

The accident reported in this case occurred in, I believe it was 1988. Think about how old those people would be today.

The snorkels were over-the-top ridiculous ... it's like someone took the costume casting straight from an OW manual ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Don't you use a snorkel in ice diving so that you don't have to breathe your regulator until it is submerged? I think this decreases the possibility of icing up your regulator.

I thought you would use a snorkel so you wouldn't breathe up your tank on that long surface swim.

There is a broader point here that in nearly all cases, everything we know about an accident is an interpretation and recollection of the facts by a person or group. Even when video exists, footage does not self-post to youtube fully formed out of the depths of its own accord. Someone edits it, and there are value judgements as to what to include and leave out.

Our own beliefs about what is safe and what is hazardous inform our conclusions about what went wrong. Hindsight isn't always 20/20.

Some of the narratives in a certain print magazine seem to make a particular effort to ascribe motives, causes, and thought processes that are simply not part of an unbiased reading of the facts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom