The scubaboard censors are still hard at work!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK.
I just sharted when I saw th OP.

Doc: what is the impetus for the post. I got's to know..LOL

OK.
I just sharted when I saw th OP.

Doc: what is the impetus for the post. I got's to know..LOL

This:

Many apologies to everyone, especially Scubaboard staff. I've been censored so many times that I wrongly assumed it was Scubaboard staff again when my post was removed within seconds of clicking "post reply."

Turns out it was the Tusa equipment manufacturer who has moderation control over their own forum.

The details of my original post are not important. It was stinging enough that I think Tusa got the message, and that's what's important. I hope Tusa learns from their mistakes.

If you have a problem with one of the Mods just send them a pm telling them what a terrible job they are doing.
Just make sure you send it to the right one. You don't want to be some asshat that sends it to the wrong one and then has to send an apology pm at a later point when you realize your mistake.

Hey, it happens!

Many apologies to everyone, especially Scubaboard staff. I've been censored so many times that I wrongly assumed it was Scubaboard staff again when my post was removed within seconds of clicking "post reply."

Turns out it was the Tusa equipment manufacturer who has moderation control over their own forum.

The details of my original post are not important. It was stinging enough that I think Tusa got the message, and that's what's important. I hope Tusa learns from their mistakes.

I've often wondered why the manufacturers were allowed to censor their own forum.

I can see it if someone is bashing their product without good reason, but often they delete threads so they don't have to deal with customers or to cover up threads about problem defects.

A perfect example of this is when Oxycheq deleted a thread about all the problems with the Raider III/IV lights out of their fourm.

My thoughts are if their product has a problem.... fix it. Don't "hide the truth" and make it look like a coverup..

I've often wondered why the manufacturers were allowed to censor their own forum.
Wonder no more: that's how we got them here. The internet is a scary place for a number of these manufacturers and having a bit of control is the only way they would agree to join.
I can see it if someone is bashing their product without good reason, but often they delete threads so they don't have to deal with customers or to cover up threads about problem defects.
These deletions are anything but "often". They are the exception and many are due to inflammatory language or the poster having a clear agenda to embarrass the business.
A perfect example of this is when Oxycheq deleted a thread about all the problems with the Raider III/IV lights out of their fourm.
If you feel that your hosts are out of line, PM them. Be nice and help them understand a better way of handling complaints. They won't know if you don't tell them.
My thoughts are if their product has a problem.... fix it. Don't "hide the truth" and make it look like a coverup..
Many of the manufacturers here, like Oceanic and Zeagle, do that very thing already. Hopefully, you are showering them with accolades and buying their gear, so that the other manufacturers get the picture.

ScubaBoard presents a unique opportunity by providing a conduit from the end user straight to the factory. Quite often, you are bypassing customer service and talking with senior level staff, including presidents and owners. A lot of these manufacturer's forums are under-utilized and I encourage everyone to reverse that. Make it a point to engage them and help them understand just how important we are. Ask questions, make suggestions and don't forget to give them kudos when they deserve it. If you need to criticize, please do it respectfully and work with them to reach a solution. This is a learning experience for a number of these businesses and you have the chance of making a difference in how they will interact with the community.

Wonder no more: that's how we got them here. The internet is a scary place for a number of these manufacturers and having a bit of control is the only way they would agree to join.

I suspected as much.

some like Aqualung don't even have the balls to join.

These deletions are anything but "often". They are the exception and many are due to inflammatory language or the poster having a clear agenda to embarrass the business.

Those cases I can see. but the cases of deleted threads I was referring to were here they didn't want to deal with the public on the problem and simply deleted the thread. The issue was real though.

but you are correct. Those deletions are anything but "often" and are only a few manufacturers who do it. most will let posts stand even if it does show they make mistakes. So I shouldn't lump all of them in one category.

If you feel that your hosts are out of line, PM them. Be nice and help them understand a better way of handling complaints. They won't know if you don't tell them.

I, like others, choose to vote with our wallets when we see a manufacturer not support failed products without good reason.

I was going to buy one of the Oxycheq lights, but when I read of the problems with it and the support issues with the manufacturer, I chose not to. no sense PM'ing them.

Many of the manufacturers here, like Oceanic and Zeagle, do that very thing already. Hopefully, you are showering them with accolades and buying their gear, so that the other manufacturers get the picture.

You are correct. two good example of companies that have had a positive presence here in the past.

Wonder no more: that's how we got them here. The internet is a scary place for a number of these manufacturers and having a bit of control is the only way they would agree to join. These deletions are anything but "often". They are the exception and many are due to inflammatory language or the poster having a clear agenda to embarrass the business. If you feel that your hosts are out of line, PM them. Be nice and help them understand a better way of handling complaints. They won't know if you don't tell them. Many of the manufacturers here, like Oceanic and Zeagle, do that very thing already. Hopefully, you are showering them with accolades and buying their gear, so that the other manufacturers get the picture.

ScubaBoard presents a unique opportunity by providing a conduit from the end user straight to the factory. Quite often, you are bypassing customer service and talking with senior level staff, including presidents and owners. A lot of these manufacturer's forums are under-utilized and I encourage everyone to reverse that. Make it a point to engage them and help them understand just how important we are. Ask questions, make suggestions and don't forget to give them kudos when they deserve it. If you need to criticize, please do it respectfully and work with them to reach a solution. This is a learning experience for a number of these businesses and you have the chance of making a difference in how they will interact with the community.

The ability to forward questions to the manufacture reps is a good feature of your site and I agree that the manufacture's treads isn't the place to post customer displeasures or argue customer / manufacturer disagreements.

I hope posting customer dissatisfaction elsewhere on the board is fair game.

The truth is never libelous or slanderous, and the truth should never be censored.

Never had a wife/girlfriend ask "does this make my butt look big" huh?

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom