The Scuba SNobs Guide to Diving Etiquette Book 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg the Divemaster from Scuba Radio gave out a bunch of Book 2 of the The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette at the Beneath the Sea Expo. Two people emailed us a thank you! Your are welcome! We hope everyone who got one enjoys reading it. Post a review here!
DivemasterDennis

There is a quite negative review posted on amazon.co.uk, which referred to Book 2 as Rubbish. I know it is not to everyone's taste, but it is hardly "rubbish." The chapter on group travel is particularly fun, informative, and useful.
DivemasterDennis

so now there is a more positive review over at amazon.co.uk, and Book 2 is being better received. Note that book 2 in e book form costs a little bit of nothing- a great value. Those who have asked about a book 3, it will be a while, as right now cancer treatment is occupying my creative time.
DivemasterDZeenis

By Fred from Amazon Canada:

This book is a quick and pleasant read with important information for all new divers and perhaps some good reminders for the veterans. We have all been taught and continue to work on our diving techniques, but no one else so clearly teaches the social conventions associated with scuba diving. Many, if not most of the book's lessons can be generalized under the heading of "Practice Good Manners". However, the authors deal with some "rules" for situations that Dear Abby would never have covered. The authors provide useful thoughts, often illustrated by humourous anecdotes, on such matters as avoiding underwater crowding, expected behaviour on dive boats, and a host of other situaions. Staying slightly above and behind other divers is a great tip. My only criticism of the book is that it is too short in length. I await the sequel and hope it is loaded with more anecdotes. People can be boorish anywhere. A crowded diveboat and an underwater group dive both provide great opportunities for the most humourous examples of poor behaviour. After reading this book, hopefully divers will have a little more incentive to keep in mind that diving is usually a shared experience. We should all be dive snobs if it means taking that little bit of extra care for each other. For those who refuse, they should be prepared to read about themselves as the dive snobs expose their boorishness in the next volume.

I bought the Kindle version of the first book and loved it. So much that I immediately bought the second book as well. The funny thing is that I started reading wanting to hear about those novice idiots and the things they pull on dive trips. I even thought that I might even qualify as a "Scuba Snob" someday myself. What really happened is that I saw some of myself in a couple of chapters.

I have always tried to avoid being "that guy" on a dive boat. Blend in and go with the flow so we can all get along on-board has always been my motto. While I have never brought a steamer trunk along, my tried and true old dive bag is always full of spare dive gear. Forget your fin(s)? I've got an extra set. Reg free-flowing? No problem. With "Scuba Snobs", Dennis and Debbie pointed out that my bag is way too big for a crowded boat. Doh! A quick trip to the LDS this week landed me a new mesh bag for one (1) set of gear (along with a Save a Dive kit). This bag squishes neatly under my designated seat without encroaching into my neighbors space.

My other issue, addressed in both volumes, is that I tend to arrive at the dock just in time. I'm never late for departure, but I'm seldom early either. Something to work on, I suppose, now that it's been brought to my attention.

This is a big Thanks to Dennis and Debbie for pointing out ways where almost everyone can improve on their overall skills. Maybe someday I can be a Scuba Snob too; after my punitive probation period is up of course.

Greg

New review on Amazon:
5.0 out of 5 stars More great reading about scuba diving etiquette June 29, 2013
By divemoreworkless
Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase
We've all heard the saying, "Common sense is not so common." Well, Dennis and Debbie Jacobson have managed to write another good book about scuba diving etiquette, which every diver should read and be aware of. Book 2 expounds upon Book 1 in the series and is again full of great tips, common sense and humor about the etiquette of scuba diving, or what etiquette should be.I surely recommend this book to all scuba divers.
By the way, there is a nice biographical interview of DivemasterDennis posteed on the divemoreworkeless.com web site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom