The Scuba SNobs Guide to Diving Etiquette Book 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dennis and Debbie,

Last night just before I retired for the night I downloaded "Scuba Snobs" to my tablet, thought "I'll take a quick look, then go to sleep, long day tomorrow". At some later point I then downloaded Volume 2. I am now about 3/4 awake here at work, (But since they only pay me about 3/4th what I think I'm worth it's OK).

I laughed, I said "Humm.... Didn't think of that before, but it makes sense", I doubted you...."Oh come on now, NOBODY could be that self-centered and unaware" until I thought about some week long bicycle tours I've been on. I said "Get off the bed you stupid cat" (not directly related to the SSGDE however). As a new diver, I got a lot of valuable tips and over the course of the evening acquired the benefit of your combined years of experience.

Love the way it's written, it reminded me of a group of old friends sitting around telling stories with a pitcher of beer in the middle. It may take me a long time to make it to full Scuba Snob Status (Living in Tennessee, I get LOTS of opportunity to go quarry diving, not so much ocean), but I'm going to attempt to incorporate your guidance into all my diving.

I think if anybody asks me for the 'elevator pitch' for "What's a Scuba Snob", it boils down to "Be proficient at what you're doing", "Don't be a dick", and "The Universe doesn't revolve around you". Pretty good advice for everybody doing anything.

Thanks for the most enjoyable and informative read.

Steve

SO I've never reviewed my own book 2 here. It is longer than the first one, has a prettier cover, and frankly is better written. It recaps the content of Book one in very brief form at the out set of relevant chapteres, and is a great value. If you liked book 1, I know you'll like book 2. And we worked so hard to come up with the clever title.
Divemaster Dennis, aka Dennis Jacobson, scuba snob.

Had to tell it somewhere- we're off to Mexico tomorrow for further "research." Yessss...! I've gotten plenty of fresh water diving in in 2014, but this is the first trip back to the salt, the turtles, and the wonderful people. We have re-read both etiquette books and promise to behave.
DivemasterDennis

Recent review from amazon canada:
4.0 out of 5 stars Practical guide to not diving like an idiot.

By
Sean Smith

This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette BOOK 2: ALL NEW Stories and Rules for Divers and Others! (Kindle Edition)

New and Seasoned Divers will appreciate this, even if you already are a Scuba Snob, it's good for a laugh!

Recent review on Amazon.com:
By Craig S. Judd
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase Every level diver should read from novice to seasoned divers. Can never have enough etiquette. This information is conveyed very directly.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 11:39 AM ----------

Recennt review from Amazon.com December 29, 2014
E. Sickler "Professional Pirate" (PA, USA) -(REAL NAME)

This review is from: The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Ettiquette (Kindle Edition)
This was a very short, only 50 pages, ebook. The humor was light, although in some places the authors seemed to be trying too hard at the comedy/sarcasm and instead just came across as whiny or annoying.And while my husband and I certainly act just like Scuba Snobs, we technically don’t qualify yet simply because we don’t have 50+ dives. That, I thought, was too harsh since, while we are new to diving, we are very serious about it and thus, dedicated enough to already have ALL our own gear and be very careful when we dive. It’s a big passion of ours so I think that, along with us practicing everything in the book already, should count us as official Scuba Snobs!
There were grammatical errors which makes me think this was self-published, but they are few enough that a non-book snob probably wouldn’t notice anyway.
The anecdotal stories were a nice addition and made the authors seem more personable.
The Scuba Snob quiz at the end was particularly cute, although I disagree that question #2 was answer ‘d’ based on info they provided from chapter 6.
It was funny, with lots of sarcasm, and things that 1. I already knew and practiced and 2. wholeheartedly agreed with as a diver. The grammatical edits did bug me but if it had been edited better I would have allowed for another star since it was funny and enjoyable. I would enjoy diving with them though!

Rating: 3/5

My friend showed me this book once. She said she picked it up from a girl she worked with at a coffee shop and loved it. It's also one of those kind of books nobody really has so it's a great conversation piece in itself.

I might ask her for it to read through it. It seems like alot of positive feedback from here aswell.

I appreciate wetphotographer's kind words. I also met a person at the airport actually reading book 2 while waiting for her plane! I love encounters like that. Again, the books are not everyone's taste, but they are fun and actually do offer tips and information that an be of value.
DivemasterDennis

Not everyone will find the Scuba Snobs books to their taste, but I want to respopnd to some amazon.com reviews that are a bit unfair, I think. They say we are over critical. WE criticize behavior, through humorous stories. We don't criticize divers. We love divers. Just like we love our children,m but we don not love everything they do. We do criticize the following actions by divers: cluttering up a boat deck with large gear bags or hard case; ignoring the pre-dive briefing; smoking on a dive boat; kicking or jostling other divers in our out of the water; leaving stuff in liveabord hallways; chasing marine wildlife; damaging the reef; kicking up the bottom; not staying with your buddy; lack of punctuality; touching or moving other people's stuff; not using or improper use of a dive flag; excessive complaining, and much more. WE are critical of improper behavior. That's the point of the book. We are sarcastic. We do strtch the truth, but we want to be entertaining. If you don't like our humor, that's ok. But our criticism are valid. Thanks for letting me vent.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom