The scale of Cozumel’s economic problem with no cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I like to use them, novel, but if $2 USD and $50 MXN are worthless like he said, maybe I should just go camping.
Again I ask why, but I believe the comment was about the amount, not the denomination.

Again I ask why, but I believe the comment was about the amount, not the denomination.

Yes, the comment was about the amount.
That said, the whole idea of fiving out $2.00 bills seems so patronizing and condescending to me.
I just see the bills given out with a smug smile, and a figurative pat on the head, thinking that the recipient will somehow delight in it's novelty, when in reality, their sole interest is putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads.

Additionally, receiving a $2.00 bill does nothing for me other than create a mild annoyance, and I deposit the dam thing at the first opportunity. I wonder if it's the same for a Mexican.

In a somewhat related story...

A band I was in agreed to play a club gig for $150. While we we playing the manager sent a comely young lass around the place with a beer pitcher soliciting tips. She presented me with the pitcher after the gig and I dumped it into my gig bag to split up later. A little while later the manager came to me and asked how much was in the tip jar. I told him I didn't know, but why did he ask. He informed me that we agreed to play for $150, and he needed to subtract the contents of the tip jar from what he owed us.

That was the 311 Club on 6th street in Austin, TX, and we never played there again.

I bartended in a a theater for a short time in college. One night, I was selected to work the upper balcony. That sucked because I had to haul my crap up several flights of stairs, including the ice. I worked the area alone.

The people that buy the cheap seats are good tippers. When I came back down, everyone asked what was in my tip jar (we pooled tips). When I said $900.00, their collective jaws dropped. I don't think anyone else that had worked it ever reported more than $50 or $100. I guess those that worked there before me were pocketing the excess for all the work they had to do getting up the stairs. I was brought up to be honest, and the thought never entered my head to steal from my coworkers.

I think people are using the $2 and 20-50 peso tips for out and about things like cabs, bartenders, etc. not a DM after a full day's work. I hope so anyway.

On the subject of charities, there is a longer list on the Cozumel4you site http://www.cozumel4you.com/cozumel-charities/.

There have been many that lived here that have left for the mainland. There is an increase in homelessness as those with no income can't afford rent. While things are opening back up, crusie ships are a big part of the economy.

(I am advocating any specific charity here)

So here, I have given money to Caritas which is a local food bank. It is associated with the Catholic Church. I make my donation locally in person as Caritas, I think, may be worldwide and if you wish a donation to be used exclusively in Cozumel, it may not happen with a general donation to Caritas.
The food bank works if they have a place to cook.

There is a local group here of expats, doctors, Mexicans and others that donate money for prescriptions -they actually go buy it. They have relationships with hosptial staff in order to vet the patient. I have donated to them. This is a local private group and does not advertise so anyone wanting to assist will need to reach out (me?). This group has money now but the issue is that poorer people are not visiting the doctor as they have no money. I can't say what fees are for IMSS hospitals but the point being that if they don't get a diagnosis/prescription then this group cannot get the medicine. I have not inivestigated so far how to subsidize doctors visits and ensure it goes to the right people.

By report a local rancher is allowing people to live on the ranch inland and is trying to feed them. I have worked through my contact for Caritas who deals with many charities to try to get money to them. I was told there are over 100 people there now.

I can't tell you how many times I have given money to people on the street as they have been forced to beg. I can see in their face how humiliating it is.

There are other organizations like the Rotary Club that are assisting as well.
The Humane Society may need help as I suspect that donation money is diverted to helping people first.
There are local soup kitchens open and I don't see any online presence or organizational backing so if you wish to help them, you will have to find them when here. These all seem to be grass roots efforts.

I had thought for a time we would go back to red status but I firmly believe that it will stay orange (30%) and open up from there - not go back to red. This is all based on economics. They just can't stay closed.

There are people working here and it is picking up so this is not all gloom and doom.

We just bought some soveigners at the cruise ship park....and for the first time ever, I didn't haggle one bit....how much? X pesos, OK, ill take it....they certainly are desperate for customers...but the locals can still manage a smile and humor...i just love this place.

That said, the whole idea of fiving out $2.00 bills seems so patronizing and condescending to me.
I just see the bills given out with a smug smile, and a figurative pat on the head, thinking that the recipient will somehow delight in it's novelty, when in reality, their sole interest is putting food on the table and keeping a roof over their heads.

Additionally, receiving a $2.00 bill does nothing for me other than create a mild annoyance, and I deposit the dam thing at the first opportunity. I wonder if it's the same for a Mexican.
This is correct.

$5 tank tip is about 100 pesos. Is that unreasonable?
I think that's a good basic tip for good service. I'm more likely to tip $15-20 on a two-tank trip, but I still think this tipping thing is out of hand. I no longer talk to those who claim that $10/tank or 20% on a restaurant bill is a minimum tip.

Tipping is indeed patronizing, I'm not a fan but there is no figurative pat on my part. They are often treated as novelties by recipients, but this discussion itself has gotten out of hand.

I don't know where you live, it's not showing on your posts, but I've seen that reaction as well. That's fine, give it out in change to someone else, spread the novel joy. It's legal currency in the US and in tourist areas of other countries that cater to US business, but if you complained - I'd exchange it for you, then avoid you.

I don't know that $2 bill have ever been discussed on SB, I didn't search here. I searched on a FB group and the reactions were mixed: Novelty to keep as good luck or hard cash is hard cash. Fine.

I bartended in a a theater for a short time in college. One night, I was selected to work the upper balcony. That sucked because I had to haul my crap up several flights of stairs, including the ice. I worked the area alone.

The people that buy the cheap seats are good tippers. When I came back down, everyone asked what was in my tip jar (we pooled tips). When I said $900.00, their collective jaws dropped. I don't think anyone else that had worked it ever reported more than $50 or $100. I guess those that worked there before me were pocketing the excess for all the work they had to do getting up the stairs. I was brought up to be honest, and the thought never entered my head to steal from my coworkers.
:thumb:

I think people are using the $2 and 20-50 peso tips for out and about things like cabs, bartenders, etc. not a DM after a full day's work. I hope so anyway.
Well, yeah. I'm hauling a load of $5s & &10s for boat tips as well.

Or maybe you should not be such a cheapskate.
You tell others how they should live often? Maybe you should live your own life.

On the subject of charities, there is a longer list on the Cozumel4you site http://www.cozumel4you.com/cozumel-charities/.
It's funny to see AA mentioned as they don't allow outside contributions. I send my monthly donations to a food bank there the day I get my retirement deposit.

$2 bills are good only for gift on kids birthdays...

You spend a thousand or more to go on a dive vacation and then mince on the tips toward those that will benefit most. Yes that makes you a cheap a**.
Tipping is a personal thing. Yes, I tip, but how much I tip is nobody's business but my own and the tippee's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom