The right way to get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I learn a whole lot less from a thread that appears more designed to incite rather than educate. If the title of the thread had been: "If you had to do it all over again, which path to OW Cert would you have gone?" then I would have learned a lot from what I would anticipate to be a very thought provoking and interesting thread. There is even a great opportunity to insert one of those cool poll question icons. :)

This opens the door to many people sharing their experiences, and a rich conversation may emerge. A thread such as that has the potential to be so informational that it could become a sticky for the New Divers forum.

This is opposed to instructors being asked to, yet again, defend themselves.

Last edited:
That's the problem with generalizations. :) kari

You make a good point Kari. (That is why I said "generally".) It got me thinking about dive shops that arrange certification trips for their customers and the ability to maintain relationships that way. I never went that route for a variety of reasons but I can certainly see the benefits.

Actually, come to think of it, how good can PADI training be? After all, for both local training and resort training you are required to use a snorkel.:wink:

Actually, come to think of it, how good can PADI training be? After all, for both local training and resort training you are required to use a snorkel.:wink:

Now, now... I've met good instructors from PADI as well as bad. The simple fact is there are more of them than any other so you're going to get a mixed bag. I'll freely admit that the best PADI instructors were also instructors for other agencies. But I don't believe flatly that you cannot get a good diving education from an instructor just because they're affiliated with PADI. It's all about time and repetition. Any instructor that spends time and focuses on building muscle memory will do a reasonable job - I mean, you need to practice taking that snorkel off and stowing it your pocket to become proficient :p.

And you'll have more fun, because generally speaking the people in a resort are nicer. They know you're there to have a good time, and they make sure that the learning experience is an enjoyable one.

Seriously? I guess maybe you were just unlucky, but all of my local instructors have been great. I have two shops that I visit regularly -- one where I live now, and one where my family lives. Sure, my instructors (I'm up to 3 now) knew when to be no-nonsense and get down to business (and let's face it, learning how to NOT HURT YOURSELF is more important that having a party atmosphere and getting your gear carried for you), but they were great people who knew how to have a good time. The instructors and DM's leading fun dives out here in CA have been awesome too.

In my neck of the woods... you don't make recommendations regarding a hobby/sport when your experience is still very limited.

sorry, the world isn't all just warm milk and comfy blankets......

I've been hosting groups of divers in Cozumel since 2007. This winter, I ran four trips, each for a week of diving. Over 50% of the people on every trip since the first year have been repeaters. There are currently 20 people here: 10 of them have never been on a trip with me, but 6 of those are students of mine from Alberta. Of the remaining 4, one is a friend from Oregon, 2 are friends of previous participants, and only 1 is a complete unknown. 15 of these people have taken one course or another with me, or with my husband. One of them did her OW referral with him during a trip to Utila, and is now an instructor. One will complete his Master Scuba Diver requirements on this trip and 8 are doing some form of continuing education. In general, since I started running these trips, I average one certification per diver. They expect to do training when they get here, because of our continuing relationship...

That's the problem with generalizations. :)

kari

I know this one, it was a math problem on my daughters take home math test. The answer is... Don from Texas.

There is good and bad in all walks of training - whether that is SCUBA or anything else - my advice is don't leave your common sense at the door. If it feels sloppy or rushed then look elsewhere, regardless of agency, cost or convenience.

You should feel confident that you "get it" and bin the "that'll do" mentality.

Also understand that being certified and being trained are two different things - the vast majority of new divers I see are interested in only diving in warm, clear waters as part of an in water assisted group with additional surface cover - and they pay for it. If they then elect to buddy up with someone and drop into a quarry in the UK... well.......

Maybe you need to do a non-PADI course to see their point. I've done SSI and ACUC courses and both had 10+ hours classroom and 10+ hours pool time before the checkout dives. I don't think you can get that kind of training in a resort.

I agree with your comments, dfx. I have two items to note:

1. If the point of basic OW is to get you into diving then PADI, SSI, ACUC, etc., all accomplish the same goal;
2. I think that the point of confusion is that (for example) PADI and ACUC Basic OW certs are both called "Basic OW certs" and therefore the considered to be in some way comparable. True, they both allow you to rent dive gear and participate in boat dives (subject to restrictions). Both are "learners permits" for diving. However, as someone who has a ACUC basic OW cert and interacts with a great many divers with PADI basic OW certs, I believe that in the majority of cases the holder of an ACUC "learners permit" has done much more learning at graduation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom