The right way to get certified

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly Mark, I think if you wait until 100 dives to do AOW, you won't get much out of it other than the card. If the diving you do doesn't require an AOW card, then fine, do it when you feel you've mastered your skills and/or when you want to do something dive ops won't let you do with an OW card. just my 0.02.

I'd go AOW only for night dives and future tech training such as a rebreather or nitrox - to better my UW camera experiences, by being able to stay at depth longer.

The new line of rebreathers are quite exciting for someone staying in the sub-40m zone. Lightweight, cartridge based.

Looking forward to a post-training report...

:zen:

Sorry if parts of this old thread re-open some wounds but i was asked to update:

June, 2012 Update:

Can now check off Rescue Diver!!!!!!
banana.gif
Had an absolutely outstanding (stressful, physical, emotionally draining, intense) weekend completing a NAUI Rescue Diver Course. As is always the case, the instructor, and the students make it. Four of us with a great teacher put it all together through some "interesting" diving. I wish my fellow classmates well. They showed they have what it takes! And kudos to the instructor for bring it out of us!!!

Day 1 of skills: rain, 64 degree air and water, and, due to an open water class there, vis was knocked down to about 5 feet. Lots of exercises, refining things learned years back (YMCA certified from the late 80's), and putting the book work into action items. All good! Ended that day with a simulated lost diver (get the facts from a "foggy buddy" that showed up at the shore, ascess, assemble, action!). Find an unresponsive diver at depth after a search grid, bring them up, bring them to shore, get them out, etc. good stuff, good teamwork! Very tired at the end of the day - about 4 hours of water work.

Day 2 - sunny and HOT! - a day of practical - Watched and mingled with OW and AOW classes at a site pre-dive - many dynamics there. Dive is a drift in a significant current - The Niagara River (3-4 kt). Instructor says "we are going on a fun dive today to unwind from yesterday". Yeah, right..... The next 40-45 minutes was just nerve wracking as all heck, as he pulled as many "noob' stunts, or created scenarios as we washed along.... I have never had a dive cause me to be so focused only on being ready vs. just gliding along, blowing bubbles and looking around... WOW! Finished up, and getting out... Bam! Simulated medical emergency - here we go (just when you though it was over)! Handled it all well, and got him out. Now we are back with the two other groups again, watching their debriefing. Wham, diver on the outskirts having "issues". Again into ACTION! (ended up getting "bitched" at by the leader of the OW group for doing our thing - too funny)!

Anyhow, was an outstanding, demanding couple days, much appreciated, much reinforced, and much learned. Nothing Better!!!!

Oh, and the BP/W and "long hose" was awesome!!! The instructor is also a caver and Tech Instructor, and when I showed up with my kit, his eyes sparkled. He took some time to go over it with the class to show some of the merits of it in the recreational diving arena, and then proceeded to break out his BP/W for the afternoon. My buddy also was quite impressed through some of the air share scenarios when we actually put it to use after our pre-dive planning and briefing. Yep, loving it!

Did PADI put you up to this? :eyebrow:

Did PADI put up to this? :eyebrow:
Yes, the CEO of PADI did ask him to do it. Now where are my cuban cigars. I must have left them in my other mansion. Lemme hop in my Lambo to drive over there.... :rofl3:

Thanks for the update rhwestfall. I found it pretty interesting. :cool2: It would have been ok to start a new thread though...

:zen:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom