The pursuit of Records in Diving (depth, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think adults should be allowed to do whatever they want even including things others consider stupid or dangerous or risky. It is not my business or anyone else to decide for others what is acceptable risk or to define their motivations or to even understand why. But, if somebody asks for my honest opinion, I would give it.

There are two kinds of people, risk takers and risk adverse. These two groups will never understand each other. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority are risk adverse and attempt to push their agenda upon the fewer risk takers so as to keep them safe and cuddly and warm and fuzzy. Which to a risk taker, might as well be dead.

N

I think adults should be allowed to do whatever they want even including things others consider stupid or dangerous or risky. It is not my business or anyone else to decide for others what is acceptable risk or to define their motivations or to even understand why. But, if somebody asks for my honest opinion, I would give it.

There are two kinds of people, risk takers and risk adverse. These two groups will never understand each other. Unfortunately, it seems that the majority are risk adverse and attempt to push their agenda upon the fewer risk takers so as to keep them safe and cuddly and warm and fuzzy. Which to a risk taker, might as well be dead.

N

But when they market themselves as knowing more about technical diving than anyone on the planet, and then very publicly kill themselves while diving, it could result in consequences for the rest of us. If you want to jump off a building, make sure you don't land on my car.

If you want to jump off a building, make sure you don't land on my car.
Please don't let your karma run over my dogma???

I think adults should be allowed to do whatever they want even including things others consider stupid or dangerous or risky.
As long as they foot the bill, financially and emotionally: why not? There are going to be a lot of unintended consequences coming from this. It's not fair that the unreasonable desires of anyone should disrupt the lives of others. Your freedom ends when it impinges on mine.

N

Maybe you missed the news, but apparently the USCG is looking at investigating the world record attempt and subsequent fatality, and there is a good chance commercial charter vessels will be impacted by this. No matter what, it is likely that liability insurance rates will go up in response to the subsequent lawsuits that will be filed over this whole fiasco.

And don't fool yourself into thinking that there will not be any lawsuits filed. A lawyer has already stepped into the fray.

Now tell me again why anyone who has more money than sense should be allowed free reign to kill themselves?

Maybe you missed the news, but apparently the USCG is looking at investigating the world record attempt and subsequent fatality, and there is a good chance commercial charter vessels will be impacted by this. No matter what, it is likely that liability insurance rates will go up in response to the subsequent lawsuits that will be filed over this whole fiasco.

And don't fool yourself into thinking that there will not be any lawsuits filed. A lawyer has already stepped into the fray.

Now tell me again why anyone who has more money than sense should be allowed free reign to kill themselves?

Because how you live (or die) is IMO a fundamental human right, as long as you're not hurting anybody else with it. As somebody else said above, as long as they foot the costs and don't take anybody else with them, let them have their fun.

Because how you live (or die) is IMO a fundamental human right, as long as you're not hurting anybody else with it.

Ok, if that were the case why do we commit suicidal people against their will to the psyc ward? Why do we arrest and confine people who just want to go through life naked(indecent exposure....which by the way is a sex crime in this country)?

You are NOT free to live and die as you choose...Period.

Ok, if that were the case why do we commit suicidal people against their will to the psyc ward? Why do we arrest and confine people who just want to go through life naked(indecent exposure....which by the way is a sex crime in this country)?

You are NOT free to live and die as you choose...Period.

True, but you SHOULD be!

However, if a person is depressed, they are unable to make an informed decision about killing themselves, but remember that in some cases we DO allow people who have terminal illnesses to end their life earlier than it would have otherwise ended. As for nudity laws, I think they're silly, but I understand that there is an argument to be made that they ARE affecting others by offending them in public. Nobody stops you from going nude in your own home.

which is why most of the responsible people I know trying outlandish dives, beyond having stuff like scientific/medical measuring devices during the dive and etc also do these types of dives outside US jurisdiction because of the risk to all involved legally...and the community.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom