The "polished" AL80 scuba tank...My experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cliffoco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had picked up a lightly used AL80 and it was due for a hydro. The original colour was the clear brushed aluminum, it looked nice but after seeing a post here about a polished tank I thought'd I would go for it.
Now this is just my experience, i made some mistakes and do not know the effects it may have on a tank. I figured I would post what I learned so others wouldn't have to.

So I started off with ensuring my tank was "stripped", I bought a aircraft paint remover thinking there was going to be a layer of "clear coat" on my tank....well I don't think there was and this was a total waste of time. I guess for a painted tank you would still have to do this step.

Now this is where the "safety" comes into question, I have heard don't sand tanks and others who say they do it before they paint. I decided that I was willing to not use the tank if it doesn't pass its hydro this week and it was a risk I am taking. I was also only taking the tiniest of scratches off, no way would I use a belt sander, or anything lower then 320.

My tank was a luxfer and it had an awful lot of "brushes" for the brushed look, I feel like my catlina's do not have this much scoring into the cylinders but I could be wrong. To get it off i started off with a 320 grit (wet) and although the brushes never came out It did minimize the look. I guess I could have kept going until I took off enough alloy the scoring was gone but oh well. I proceeded to wet sand going from 400, 600, 800, 1000, 2000, 2500.
I then took a delwalt variable speed polisher / grinder with a wool pad and used some cutting cream (rated to take scratches around 2000 grit out.) This is where it got messy with a black residude spreading all over the pad. Buffed it clean and it looked great! I then went to a lighter cutting compound (Meguirs Ultimate Compound), did another pass and buffed it. To finish it off by hand I used some aluminum polish (mothers brand) and that really brought out the shine. Over the process was back breaking and you don't see the results until the VERY end so it was a challenge to stay motivated!

I am interested to hear your thoughts on tank safety, I am no expert but I only took off a tiny tiny amount of "metal" and in reality the scratches it would get in daily activity would be much deeper. The tank goes for hydro tomorrow and then I will bring it to my LDS for a VIS. I am sure I will get A LOT of questions as the tank is an eye catcher!

Attachments

• Polished Tank.JPG
    Polished Tank.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 541
That looks really cool!

My only thought though is that keeping it like that will be almost impossible...

I do a lot of stainless steel polishing so your post intrigued me. Beautiful job!

I was about to post with respect to how long that finish will last so I did my required homework on the net. I defer to this guy: See Post #3

I do a lot of stainless steel polishing so your post intrigued me. Beautiful job!

I was about to post with respect to how long that finish will last so I did my required homework on the net. I defer to this guy: See Post #3

Appreciate the info, I was going to give it a 2K clear (same thing that is on cars) and then polish that clear but after reading that post I may just leave it and see how it goes. For the bottom of the tank it would be nice to give it some protection

I love holding a part and knowing that all the hard miles are behind me. You certainly put in the required time and effort.

You have a valuable experiment going there. I too would pass on the overcoat and see how it goes. If it starts to fall apart, recovery will be easy and then an overcoat would be justified. Please keep us posted.

BTW, you did absolutely no harm to that tank.

Edit.
I can't believe I forgot to add this: That tank deserves pure carnauba wax, highest grade. Nothing more. Amazing stuff. Carnauba Wax

Last edited:
Could be dangerous to dive it during daylight hours, sunlight reflecting off it may cause blindness. :)

Well, at least if a barracuda goes after it, it's big enough the barracuda probably won't strike anything else. Maybe bite a hole in your BCD bladder by accident. :rofl3:

I've been thinking of polishing a stage for a few years but am way to lazy to actually do it. That looks awesome! :D

ps: I'd have zero concerns about using it.

I have polished many aluminum tanks in the past. You went through way too many steps, but congratulations on your results never the less.
If you didn't get past the lowest points of the mill texture and or the deepest ding then you have nothing to worry about. As long as the tank didn't get screaming hot in any one spot during buffing you will be fine for hydro. The hydro will make or break it anyway.
Polished aluminum tanks are the easiest to maintain. All you do is hit it by hand once in a while with some aluminum polish cream or liquid and it looks great. Salt water doesn't bother them, chlorine in a pool is the killer and will etch/dull a polished tank very quickly. Also, a polished tank will stay remarkably cool in the sun because they reflect sun away and also heat.

That's an nice tank! I wonder what the hydro stamp will look like on it, hopefully not too terrible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom