THE "PERFECT ( being horizontal ) TRIM" HOAX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't read the entire thread but what I have seems to have a pattern i.e. criticisms of DIR/GUE are largely written by people who have not undertaken a GUE course.

The other emphasis on GUE courses is practice. So a lot of GUE-trained divers will routinely use horizontal trim on routine dives to maintain good practice but it doesn't mean that other body positions in the water are absolutely prohibited..

Pretty much a lot of divers use horizontal trim on routine dives. All I wrote is that whatever position I am in at the time is perfect trim for me.. :)

OT: is it always in the Philippines that you find so many whale sharks?

Yes they are known to circulate around the Cebu area islands. I've not seem them in Indonesia or Thailand but that's more just not having the chance encounters. This in Moalboal Pescadore Island and that is my dive buddy there with his camera hear.

PAUL & WHALE SHARK.jpg

Yes they are known to circulate around the Cebu area islands. I've not seem them in Indonesia or Thailand but that's more just not having the chance encounters. This in Moalboal Pescadore Island and that is my dive buddy there with his camera hear.

View attachment 695520

Saw one last time I was in Bali. It swam right to us.

The photo reminds me of Crocodile Dundee hypnotising a crocodile!

Lovely photo. Thank you for sharing with those of us who can’t travel to blue water locations; we can but dream.

Diving is a three dimensional sport. I see no reason to be always horizontal. But I have watched so many divers, especially while on drift, in a vertical position, dragging their fins across the top of every knoll in the reef or carelessly roto-tilling the bottom. I find myself in the odd circumstance of defending DIR (which I am not) but the horizontal trim "thing" is not a law but a skill. The skill requires discipline, control and awareness of body position (and body parts like legs, arms, fins, danglies) in the environment and promotes being a squared away diver. Certainly adapt to the environment but we are not whale sharks feeding but we are often divers dragging our legs, arms and equipment across the environment. I think often criticisms of having good trim are excuses for not. A disciplined diver has control of their body, awareness of their position and appendages in the environment and in a zen moment perhaps becomes one with it. We are dynamic in the water, not static, and we can move within it as suits us. All four divers in this photo may not be in perfect GUE horizontal trim but all are up and off the reef or have their fins up and off the reef and note that the camera was not level, but the divers are roughly parallel to the bottom. Me, my wife and dive buddies.

James

The photo reminds me of Crocodile Dundee hypnotising a crocodile!

Lovely photo. Thank you for sharing with those of us who can’t travel to blue water locations; we can but dream.

Hopefully one day for you to get to Asia. Whale Sharks are a sight to behold especially when they swim towards you.
Such graceful creatures.

WHALE SHARK 01 JUNE CDC 2019.jpg

Hopefully one day for you to get to Asia. Whale Sharks are a sight to behold especially when they swim towards you.
Such graceful creatures.

View attachment 695551

Love to some day. About eight years ago we were out in my little 19 feet Boston Whaler fishing out of Destin and two whale sharks came around. I pulled my lines in and got in the water and snorkeld with them. About 30 years ago diving in Panama City we encountered several whale sharks while on deco. It is my understanding that they frequent the Oriskany though the four times I have been there I did not see any :(.

James

Back
Top Bottom