The Pasley Sept '06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving with an O/W class today on the CeeRay at Catalina, so not much to report on the dives themselves. Nevertheless, basic details. Oh, and the trip across the channel was perfect! Great day....

Date:9/9/2006
Dive Location: Indian's Head
Time: 10:37
Bottom Time: 33min
Max Depth: 36 fsw
Vis: 40-50ish
Wave Height: Flat
Temp at depth: 64F Aeris

Dive Location: Indian's Head
Time: 12:43
Bottom Time: 38min
Max Depth: 26 fsw
Temp at depth: 67F Aeris
Comments:

Boy, did the current ever pick up between these dives. I was first off the boat, which was cool, until the ocean decided to send me to Mexico. I grabbed our float and looked underwater at the kelp laying flat on the ground. It actually wasn't too bad at the bottom. There was a gigantic school of fish hanging around for the entire dive, easily numbering in the thousands. I'm not sure of the ID, but they were small, glisteny silver fish. In the spreading sunlight they were quite picturesque as their cloud darted about.

Dive Location: Little Geiger
Time: 14:50
Bottom Time: 35min
Max Depth: 20 fsw
Temp at depth: 69F Aeris
Comments:

We motored over a bit to a different site. It was pretty unintersting where we were, but the class finally got to get a significant tour. Even though it wasn't all that great a site, the smiles on some of the student's faces was enough to say how good it really was. :wink:

Kudos to the crew of the CeeRay for another trip well done.

Hi Aphelion,
Sounds like you had a good day of diving, the fish sound like Sardines.

Happy Diving
John

Saturday 9/09/06

Wrinkles BBQ: La Jolla Cove ------> La Jolla Shores

Anyway, drove down to La Jolla after breakfast for an early dive at the Cove. I was ready by 7am, however, my buddies were running late. Unfortunate too, for it was dead calm until about 7:15 when the swells started to roll in. Finally met up with a buddy (Peter), we entered without incident only to find conditions had gone south. Viz was 0-10' at best. Our mission was to see the Giant Black Sea Bass that everyone keeps talking about, but we saw nada. We did see several schools of fish including Mackeral, Anchovy, and Baracuda. One minute the Baracuda were swimming by, the next minute, they all looked like *Pick-Up Stix* hovering...waiting...for their kill. Fun to watch. On our way back into the Cove, spotted several very large Abalone. One was feeding on some kelp that was fun to observe.

After diving the Cove, I threw my gear back into the car and made my way to La Jolla Shores for Scubaboard's monthly *Wrinkles* picnic. As I was driving in, I bumped into my friend Kevin Lee in the parking lot. I was fortunate enough to get a spot not too far from his vehicle. We decided to make a dive into the canyon diving the South Wall. I happened to have a Nitrox tank with me, so after some minor frustration adjusting my computer, we were off and kicking out to one of the white bouys. OMG! Conditions were T*R*O*P*I*C*A*L Vertical Viz had to have been 40-50+ EASY. Snorkeling above on our way to the drop down point, we had several Leaopard Sharks swim under us; baby Bat Rays; a mirad of different schools of fish; and at one point, I spotted what appeared to be a sheep crab hiding in some algae. All this, we saw from the surface! We finally reached our drop down point and into the Canyon we went. Viz continued to be good. Spotted three different Nudibranchs that I hadn't seen before. My camera was on the fritz, but thankfully, Kevin had his rig with him. Also came across a legal sized Halibut (Yummy), a large but dead Thornback Ray (funny, for i had never seen a white one before! LOL), a Shovelnose Guitarfish, a large Bat Ray that had a stubbed tail, Fried Egg Jellyfish, large Cusk Eels hiding in the sides of the Canyon, Black Eyed Goby's, dozens and dozens of Goulds Round Snails....a first for me in which I was fortunate to find an empty shell....they are soooooooo pretty! Sand dollar fields...found a skeleton that I gave to a little girl upon exiting the water. What an absoultely amazing dive...so much better than the Cove.

Got all my gear back in the car and met up with fellow Scubaboarders for some lunch and social time. A great day was enjoyed by all.

La Jolla Shores, Saturday September 9th

Info: Dive #1 Vallecitos point
Slightly cool morning, overcast early, clearing to bright sunshine
Swell height 2’ or less
Surf 1’-2’
3’ high tide, increasing on a 2.1 knot flood at 8:00AM
Sea surface temperature was 67 degrees
Temperature at max depth was 57 degrees
Minimal surge at depth
Visibility averaged 20’, with occasional 15’-30’ variations based on location
Max depth 69’
Total bottom time 54 minutes

Info: Dive #2 (not so) Secret Garden
Warm sunny day, with slight breeze
Swell height 2’ or less
Surf 2’ with occasional 3’
6’ high tide, slack at 11:10, decreasing on a 2.3 knot ebb
Sea surface temperature was 68 degrees
Temperature at max depth was 59 degrees
Minimal surge at depth
Visibility 20’-30’
Max depth 120’
Total bottom time 59 minutes

Complete photo album is located here: 2 pages
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/LJS 09-09-06/

The Report:
I met up with a whole passel of ScubaBoard.com and ScubaPost.net people this morning, for a little cross pollination action for this months Wrinkles dive at La Jolla Shores. It seemed like close to 200 fishing kayakers were being busy little bees this morning, trying to horn in on our hive parking, and just generally making a mess of the place. We persevered, staking our claim on the grass while they were all looking the other way, having of course, already conceded the parking lot to them and their plastic battleships.

We milled about, drinking coffee and eating snacks, renewing old friendships and forging new ones, but eventually, group dynamics and the whims of nature spun people into groups who started to either gear up, or settle in for long conversations. I was in the first group, along with Terry, Kim and Rick. We geared up slowly, as the sun had not broken through to burn off our lethargy as yet. We did eventually make it to the waters edge, and having done so, took it to it’s inevitable conclusion and entered the water.

Visibility it seemed, would be our gift for enduring the kayak fishing tournament this morning. We kept tabs on the bottom during the kick out, with it just beginning to fade from view at our drop point, 30’ above. An easy, calm descent found us in blue water, facing West and heading 25’ deeper. We turned left at 55’, heading towards the Point. Our aquatic journey was a seldom seen wonder as the visibility showed structure, life (and the occasional buddy) well off in the distance. A variety of Terry-Identifiable nudibranchs and dorids were cast casually along the walls and sand. Barred Sand Bass, Sheephead, Black Eyed Gobies fresh from a brawl, the occasional Senorita and Blue Banded Goby were seen sharing ocean with us. An assortment of Lobster were backed into the garages of row houses cut into the wall, there antennae waving like clotheslines waiting for something to dry.

We eventually, and reluctantly, found our way back to shore where new arrivals and snacks awaited us. Both were greeted with equal enthusiasm. We sat out our surface interval, with group dynamics again spinning members off like planets, groups forming and reforming, before we finally decided to give in to the unquenchable desire to once again share the water with the ‘lil fishies. Terry, Kim, Rick, Claudette, Ken, George and Laurel joined me in the adventures this time.

The sun was bright and warm this time, with a dramatic increase in visitors frolicking in the sand. The last vestiges of tourists could be heard sizzling in the sand like bacon as we made our way to the waters edge once more. With the sun behind us, the potential for good visibility was now obvious, as our usually green waters were transformed into a beautiful lapis sea. We could actually see the deep waiting for us, dark at the edge of the brilliant blue of the shallows.

We submerged as quickly as the canyon edge allowed. Purple Glob Crabs, Turbot and Sole greeted us on arrival, waving their fins or claws saying, “go west”. A quick salute in thanks, and we were dropping into the canyon. A dust cloud disturbed the visibility as we descended, and before I could say “there must be Bat Rays in front of us” there were Bat Rays in front of us. We continued down, waving back to the obviously friendly rays who were waving to us. We turned left again, this time deeper and at the entrance to the Garden.

The ocean this morning was gracious, sharing it’s bounty of Horn Sharks, Hemphill Crabs, more nudibranchs and dorids, Octopus, Sheephead, Bass and Gobies by the bucketful. Fringehead poked their heads sarcastically out of a variety of holes, obviously amused by the antics of land lubbers in their domain. We paid them no head other than an occasional camera flash, and moved on. We all hit our NDL while visiting the Garden, so we started heading back upslope, remembering to close the gate behind us lest the Fringeheads get loose, thrusting their sarcasm on some other unwitting soul.

Swimming from indigo to azure, we encountered Anenomes, Pens and Pansies, crabs and snails, more Fringeheads (did we forget to latch the gate?), and just about all things that crawl, swim, dart or bury themselves within the sea. It had been a glorious dive, but sated, we must again return to land. The exit was as beautiful as the entrance, as fresh air, warm sunshine and blue water greeted us as we popped to the surface on the land side of the surf. What a wonderful day to spend with friends, new and old, and to share the sea with the creatures who call it home.

John A.

ljsa11.jpg

ljsa14.jpg

ljsa17.jpg

ljsa22.jpg

ljsa29.jpg

ljsb43.jpg

ljsb47.jpg

ljsb50.jpg

ljsb52.jpg

ljsb60.jpg

ljsb65.jpg

Date: 9-10-06
Dive Location: Malalga Cove
Buddy(ies):Brian
Time: 9:31 AM
Bottom Time: 64 min.
Max Depth: 28 fsw
Vis: 10-15 ft
Wave height:1-3 ft
Temp at depth: 64 deg.
Surface Temp:70 deg.
Tide information: coming in
Gas mix:air
Comments:This was a Reef Check dive & we finished 5 fish only surveys. We was alot of fish this time. Near the end of the 4th transect we saw a school of Pacific Baracuda. The vis was good & the surge wasn't too bad.

Happy Diving
John

JMdiver:
Date: 9-10-06

Comments:This was a Reef Check dive & we finished 5 fish only surveys. We was alot of fish this time. Near the end of the 4th transect we saw a school of Pacific Baracuda. The vis was good & the surge wasn't too bad.

Happy Diving
John

thanks for the report, glad to see the Barracuda are still there. I always see bat rays there at around 30ft depth.

yesterday afternoon I stopped at malaga with my girlfriend on the way back from marineland to look at the water. we saw 3 divers (with scuba tanks) enter in front of the pool, and we watched them for about 1/2 hour. they kept dropping down in shallow water, then one or two would pop up , then go down again.. etc.. this continued the entire time we were there, I wonder if they ever actually did a dive...

scott

Barracuda from Haggerty's Reef, 2 weeks ago (next to malaga cove reef)

Hag1+017.jpg

Hi Scott,
Yea we were in about 26 fsw when we saw them & BTW those divers weren't us there were only 2 of us.

Happy Diviing
John

Date: 9-9/10-06
Dive Location: Yukon, Ruby E, High Seas
Buddy(ies):Joel S. & Sean B.
Time: varied
Bottom Time: dives all varied between 25- 50 min
Max Depth: 106 ft
Vis: 10-20ft average for all 3 sites
Wave height:
Temp at depth: 52-54F
Surface Temp:70 deg.
Gas mix: Nitrox 32%

This was the "Wreck Extravaganza" weekend organized by Joel Silverstein- 2 days of wreck diving off of the Lois Ann. Saturday's dives consisted of 2 Yukon dives, and 1 dive at the Ruby E.
Dive 1 was for the placing of Steve Donathon's plaque onto the bridge, so Joel and Tyler dropped down with the plaque, chains, and a padlock.. The rest of us followed shortly afterwards to watch them secure it onto the bridge.. the process took 10-15 min, then we all went our own ways to check out what was going on around the rest of the ship.. Vis was fairly nice, varying between 15-20 ft, maybe more. Nobody was disappointed with the conditions :D
Dive 2 consisted of 3 (I think) effortless trips around the entirety of the ship via Joel's "war pony" DPV.. Very relaxing to cruise slowly around the big ship, but I started getting cold from the lack of movement so I let go and went to check out one of the openings in the Yukon.. It was about 2 minutes before Joel realized that he'd "lost" me and came back, lol.. So hopped back on the DPV for another whirl around the ship, then headed back to the Lois Ann for some fooooood! Anita & Carl had lots of goodies for us to munch on all weekend & I'm pretty sure everyone appreciated them for that :)
Dive 3 was a quick one, 30 min or so, to the Ruby E., but despite the short dive time I was amazed at all of the life on it that day! The Ruby is a beautiful sight to behold, covered in cup corals of differing shades of reds, pinks, and orange. Nudibranches, tons of fish, and great vis all made for a wonderful dive... I hated to cut the dive so short, but we had to get back to the rest of the world..

Rolled out of bed around 430am the next day, and everyone was back at the dock by 6-630am.. We headed out to sea around 7am to the High Seas wreck, somewhere off of Pt Loma. The ocean was flat, the day was absolutely perfect.. Dropped anchor, Tyler & Nate went down to make sure it was set securely.. and the rest of us dropped in a few minutes after them. When we hit 30ft on the descent, the water suddenly got ice cold~ that was the worst thermocline I've ever experienced. My face was stinging from the cold, and after just 30 or so min into the dive, I had to ascend because I was too cold.. The dive site was nice, full of life and it was awesome to dive a new wreck but I had to skip the 2nd dive... I did NOT want to go back down (105ft) into that cold water, 52F.. Brrrrrr....
The weekend was amazing- the dives, the weather, the divers, and the crew of the Loin Ann... really couldn't ask for a better weekend. Thanks to all of the people who were there for making it such fun :D

Joel & Tyler putting the plaque onto the bridge of the Yukon:

P1018028.jpg

the plaque:

P1018053.jpg

Ruby E:

P1018088.jpg

Nice vis on the Yukon:

P1018042.jpg

High Seas:

P1018126.jpg

Spanish Shawl on one of the nets @ the High Seas:

P1018155.jpg

The rest of the pics are here: http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c283/SoCalDiveGirl/Wreck Weekend Sept06/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom