The Pasley "HURRY HOME" March '07 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottfiji:
Ken, you captured some phoronids in your shot of the san diego dorid. they are right above the dorid. they are a type of lophophorate that have their own phylum! nice going

Scott
Cool, Scott! I saw those and wondered what in Triton's half-acre they were. :confused:

So, they're in the same phylum as the orange phoronids we see all over the sand around Catalina, and around many Palos Verdes dives sites, too?

But they live on rocks instead of sand? They're so pale and small, I might not have ever noticed them. They sure are lovely in this mighty-macro photograph.

Good call! Thanks :D

~~~~
'Dette

Date: 2007-03-29
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove to Crescent to Fisherman's
Buddy(ies): Bruce3
Time: 10:23
Bottom Time: 74
Max Depth: 32fsw
Vis: Good 6-10, poor 10-15, really poor 6-10 on outer reef
Wave height: Z-z-z-z-zero
Temp at depth: A mere (!) 20 degrees over freezing
Tide information: Low
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: having your genitals go inside your body
Comments:

Ok, so it wasn't that cold, but it was pretty darn cold. I've been eyeballing the DUI CLX450 with dry gloves lately, so maybe I was just sad that I was in a wetsuit. *sigh*

In any event, topside conditions were perfect. No surf, lots of sunlight, and no wind. Underwater, surge was pretty minimal, so we tried heading through the crevice. Finally, after more than a year of trying not to die in whiteouts and high surge, I made it. Ta-da!

Laguna Sea Sports' website is saying that the viz is 15-20 right now. It wasn't even close, especially on the outer reef. You could barely see turnaround rock even when right on top of it.

This was my first dive on my new steel 100; man, that thing has air for days. I still had 1500 PSI left after 74 minutes. Cool!

Also the first time "really" diving my new 5-foot hose and 22" secondary. I've been in water with this setup twice already, so it already feels good. It was even better today not having to wear a snorkel with it. It may just be me, but it seems like the dive is louder now that I have the hose by my ear. Must be crazy....

The highlight of the dive was a big sheep crab on Fisherman's reef. Strangely enough, however, it was missing both of its front claw arms. It seems almost too coincidental. I wonder if someone pulled them off.

Viz was pretty poor, but the other conditions were so good that it was still a really fun dive. I can almost feel that drysuit now....

hey Jake, I dove Shaw's today too, in the afternoon. my computer said 52, but I wasn't cold because I wore a gazillion layers of wetsuits, lol.

btw, I just found out my drysuit arrived today.

I saw a sheep crab at the outer edge of shaw's cove, a feisty one with 2 big claws. he kept waving them at me :)

Scott

photos from today (click on photos to enlarge. the thumbnails cut off the left & right sides of the photos for some weird reason)
http://www.scubapost.net/forums/cabezon/Laguna/?g2_page=3

Top Reason Pasley should hurry home: the relaxation of diving at 100 feet with 5 ft of vis surrounded by green water
Date: 03/30/2007
Time: 06:02am descent
Temp: 55
Vis: 3-5 feet is being generous I think maybe 8 at depth
Max Depth: 110 feet
Bottom Time: 54 mins 25 of it spent at the Gardens
Buddies: Divinman
Dive#: 200

Having been unable to do any diving at dawn this week I was pleasantly surprised yesterday when work was going to afford me my Friday morning to do as I please, dawn patrol it is and hey I knew Terry would be going out this morning so I tagged along. We met in the main lot to find 1-3ft waves, very manageable, not much power, some swell from both the south and north but not really any current.

Kicking out we dropped in about 45feet of water and immediately Terry spotted a very nice sized Armina. Many Squid eggs still abound and can someone tell me how long these buggers take before they hatch??? We hit 90 feet and I wasn't quite sure where we were in relation to the gardens, it seemed to flatten out in front of us, but we purused the Squid Eggs finding a beautiful Black Dorid, Hermissendas, Octopus, Crabs of all kinds and sizes. Started our way a bit south and quickly came up on the Gardens.

There we a bunch of tiny Trilineatas, big Spanish Shawls, Porostomes including a beautiful white one I pointed out to Terry. Saw Barb and Mikey's big honkin Sheephead for the first time, the one who is so big there is no way he gets in that cave. His head filled the entire opening. The Gorgonians are starting to look better than they did a couple months ago. Many dark purple ones, yellow, red, all the colors, even some Strawberry Anenomes seem to have taken up residence. Today I saw my first Anenome in the sand actually feeding, or at least I noticed it feeding. Watching its tentacles reach into it's mouth, one after the other, until it completely closed in to finish. I wish I knew had to use the video on this camera. A beautiful Yellow Anenome in the sand, I've never seen them this color.

Finally my computer started beeping at me, was time to ascend, looking at my computer I was surprised we had actually spent about 20-25 minutes here , looking at my air made me agree with my computer about heading back. Coming up slope lots of Octopus again, some Dirona Pictas, more Black Dorids, we actually saw 4 different ones this morning. As we hit the 60 foot contour the vis really deteriorated, the water was very green and lights really didn't help except to keep track of each other. I came up in about 10feet of water cause my SPG said I better, Terry of course stood up in about 5 feet of water big ole grin on his face despite the bad vis.

What a beautiful dive this morning, the Gardens are always so relaxing, even with bad vis. Thanks for the dive this morning Terry

No spectacular photos from me this morning, if you wish to puruse here you go:
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/surfhopper/033007 LJS Dive 200/

Date: 3/30/07
Dive Location: OML Long Point
Buddy(ies): Angelique and David
Time: 9:53 am.
Bottom Time: 54 min
Max Depth: 60 fsw
Vis: 10-15 feet 10 at 60
Wave height: 1-2 feet
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 64F

I met up with Angelique and David at OML this morning. It was sunny and beautiful with only minor wind. Over the last few days the wind has been wicked however the conditions this morning were simply wonderful. Since the swell conditions were looking pretty low, I was hoping for an entry and exit at the point if it was do-able. When I walked down I noticed that Cobble Beach was a glassy lake. GOOD SIGN!! When I reached the point, the waves were minor and the concept of in and out at the point today was looking GREAT.

We geared up and made it down the path to the point. The construction is moving forward quickly and I am dreading the day when we can’t get access. Hopefully, this will not happen any time soon.

Once we picked our entry and exit points we started to the waters edge to find a mommy Sea Lion in the water right in front of us. We also noticed her baby making its way into the surf from our right. Luckily, today was a harassment free day.

I was expecting the visibility to be poor based on the wind but as we made our way out, we noticed the visibility was pretty darn good. The only place it got worse was surprisingly at the end of the point at about 60 feet.

Another thing we noticed was that it was FRIGGEN COLD!!! You really felt it at 50-60 feet. At 30 feet, it was not too bad.

Get out there ASAP and enjoy the small surf at the point!!!!!

Here are some highlights from the dive.

Entry
LPEntry33007.jpg

Nice Vis!
LPVis33007.jpg

RockScallop
RockScallop33007.jpg

California Hydrocoral
CaliforniaHydrocoral33007.jpg

Spanish Shawl & Eggs
SpanishShawlEggs33007.jpg

Sea Cucumber
SeaCucumber33007.jpg

Fragile Rainbow Star
FragileRainbowStar33007.jpg

Noble Dorid
NobleDorid233007.jpg

Monterey Dorid (???)
MontereysDorid33007.jpg

Nudi Eggs
NudiEggs33007.jpg

Yellow Edged Cadlina
YellowEdgedCadlina33007.jpg

White Spotted Dorid
WhiteSpottedDorid33007.jpg

Female Sheephead
FemaleSheephead33007.jpg

Date: 4/01/07
Dive Location: N. Crescent
Buddy(ies): ^you^
Time: 10AM
Dive Time: 1 hr, 40 Min
Max Depth: 60 ft
Vis: 50 ft
Wave height: 0
Temp at depth: 68 F
Surface Temp: 68 F
Top reason Pasley should hurry home:
It's April Fools, ^you^!

Comments:

We headed out to Deadmans reef and had the most amazing time with a Great White. Here's our Video:

(http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb...le-grand-blanc)

Need I say More?

THelsley:
Date: 4/01/07
Dive Location: N. Crescent
Buddy(ies): ^you^
Time: 10AM
Dive Time: 1 hr, 40 Min
Max Depth: 60 ft
Vis: 50 ft
Wave height: 0
Temp at depth: 68 F
Surface Temp: 68 F
Top reason Pasley should hurry home:
It's April Fools, ^you^!

Comments:

We headed out to Deadmans reef and had the most amazing time with a Great White. Here's our Video:

(http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xjb...le-grand-blanc)

Need I say More?

Definitely the most inventive use of the 4/1 name joke I've seen yet. Good job! :D

RockScallop33007.jpg

Michael Rennie was ill
The day the earth stood still
But he told us where we stand
And flash gordon was there
In silver underwear
Claude rains was the invisible man
Then something went wrong
For Fay Wray and king kong
They got caught in a celluloid jam
Then at a deadly pace
It came from outer space