The Pasley "HURRY HOME" March '07 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice Janolus. Really nice. They're all over right now.

Is that a Polycera Atra? How big is it? We get teeny ones here - I've never seen one on the hoof... very cool.

Ken

Date: 3/16/07
Dive Location: OML Long Point
Buddy(ies): Angelique and Jimmy
Time: 9:47 am.
Bottom Time: 55 min
Max Depth: 65 fsw
Vis: 8-10 feet 15 in some places
Wave height: 2-3 feet
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 57F

I met up with Angelique and Jimmy at OML this morning. It was cloudy and overcast AGAIN!!. However, as we started to walk down the trail, the sun started to break through the clouds and clear the mist away.

This time, the waves hitting the point were looking do-able so we went for an easy (Ha Ha) entry at the point. We all timed it perfectly with no issues. I have to say that when the waves were 2-3 this place is no walk in the park. To get caught inside and dragged across the rocks can ruin ones day.

We gathered at the point about 30 yards out and dropped down into so so visibility.
At least it was better then last week at the 120 reef. We headed out at 180 and started looking for what ever critters we could find.

I can not tell you enough how this place is one of the, if not the best places to shore dive in SoCal. The rock structures are way cool and the diversity is awesome. Here, there were tons of fish out where last week at the 120 reef, there were barley any.

We were lucky this week, there were lots of Nudis out and we had a fun time searching through all of the rock structures. When we made it to around 65 feet, we decided to make the turn and start heading back to Cobble Beach.

Here are some highlights from the dive.

Sculpin
Sculpin231607.jpg

Lacy Bryozone
LacyBryozone31607.jpg

Painted Greenling
PaintedGreenling31607.jpg

Octo
Octo231607.jpg

Noble Dorid (Orange)
NobleDorid31607.jpg

Noble Dorid (Yellow)
NobleDorid331607.jpg

Mimic Dorid
MimicDorid31607.jpg

Hudsons Dorid
HudsonsDorid31607.jpg

Limbaughs Cadlina
LimbaughsCadlina231607.jpg

Super Micro Cockerells Dorid
MicroCockerellsDorid31607.jpg

Spanish Shaw
SpanishShawl231607.jpg

Catching A Ride
CatchingARide231607.jpg

Sponges
Sponges31607.jpg

Mo2vation:
Nice Janolus. Really nice. They're all over right now.

Is that a Polycera Atra? How big is it? We get teeny ones here - I've never seen one on the hoof... very cool.

Ken

Thanks Ken. Probably the largest P atra I have seen. Jen spotted some micro-dot ones in the same area last month. Always fun. Been searching for Polycera hedgepethi's. Havent seen one in over two years. The one image I have sucks. Need a better one

Terry

divinman:
Thanks Ken. Probably the largest P atra I have seen. Jen spotted some micro-dot ones in the same area last month. Always fun. Been searching for Polycera hedgepethi's. Havent seen one in over two years. The one image I have sucks. Need a better one
Terry

Chica and I were just talking today about all the stuff we've seen once or twice and only have fuzzy, bigfoot images of. Your P.Atra is the apex P Atra to be sure. Hands down best Poly pic I've seen.

---
Ken

La Jolla Cove, Saturday 03-17-07

Info:
Dark and foggy
Surf was minimal in the Cove
Swells were 2’, spaced pretty close together
5.2’ high tide, arriving on a 1.9 knot flood
Air temperature was 56 degrees
Sea surface temperature was 59 degrees
Temperature at max depth was 56 degrees
Strong consistent surge throughout the dive
Visibility peaked at 10’, averaged 5’, at times 0’
Max depth 36’
Total bottom time 1 hour, 4 minutes

Photos:
Pictures are few as I did not notice the flash diffuser had slipped, blocking most of the flash until the dive was almost over. I lightened a few to make them…OK. Here’s a link if you must.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/LJC 03-17-07/

The Report:
Walking off the boat early this morning it was cold and breezy, with the wind singing through the halyards of the sailboats. The palm trees rustled a whispered goodbye as I left. I arrived at the Cove around 6:00AM to find it foggy and dark, with that same cool breeze. My hope was to dive off the rocks at Alligator Head but the waves were pounding it pretty hard. After watching wave after wave shooting vertically up 8’-10’ then come crashing down on my intended entry point, I decided the Cove would me more apropos.

Even in the foggy dark, the Cove looked more inviting, confirming the brilliance of my choice. Sets were coming in pretty steady, but the beating Alligator Head was taking seemed to be taking a bite out of the surf before it entered the Cove. I geared up fairly quickly because the palm tree I parked under was raining foggy residue all over me every time the wind shook it, which was pretty frequent this morning. My parking choice didn’t seem to be as brilliant as my dive choice.

I entered at the base of the stairs and kicked straight out, well past the Cove proper, but not close to where the buoys used to be. I dropped into 8’ - 10’ of visibility and strong surge. Heading N/E from my starting depth of 17’, I hoped to find better vis and lesser surge. My hopes were dashed, as the only thing I got was deeper, both my wishes being denied me.

There was not a wealth of life out this morning, but there were signs of it. Throughout the dive, I saw and enjoyed Sheephead, lots of big Senoritas singly and in groups of 5-6, big Kelp Bass, Sargo, Opaleye, the occasional Blacksmith, Lobster, a few Giant Stars and of course, Garibaldi. Towards the end of the dive, a beautiful 4’ Horn Shark swam passed me in open water, about 6’ off the bottom. He was pretty fast and I was still contending with the surge, but I did manage to get an excellent picture of where he had just been in the water column. Obviously, lacking the shark itself, it would be hard for you to visualize him in the picture, but he was there. I knew I wasn’t going to see any market squid, but I had hoped to see their much bigger brother, the Bah-Humbug Squid, but none appeared to be present. Off course with the surge and low vis, they could have been clacking their beaks and giving me (many) rude hand gestures, and I wouldn’t have known.

After about 45 minutes of fighting the surge, I decided I’d had enough. The surge had consistently kept me moving quite a distance in a variety of directions, and I was done with my crazy flight path along the bottom. In addition to the flash issue, the surge made it pretty much impossible to photograph anything, especially anything moving. Even sedentary or fixed objects were difficult with the surge. I made several attempts, but it was similar to taking pictures of sign posts out of the side window of a moving car. Artistically they were stunning, but as descriptive evidence of what was seen, they tanked.

Turning around (yeah, like I hadn’t been doing that this whole dive, thank you very much surge), I headed towards shore. Every 20’ or so, the visibility would become a swirling mass of 0 visibility for 5’ or so, but I just kept swimming through it, coming out each time to a much improved 5’-8’. At 15’, I popped up to see what corrections I needed to make for my lineups and surprised myself by being directly in line with the stairs. Not through skills certainly, as I had been blindfolded, spun around and told to hit some stooopid piñata too many times during this surgy dive. I guess even drunks can walk a straight line during an earthquake and as such, I somehow managed to correct enough times to remain on course.

It was an easy exit, using the incoming swell to propel me up the beach in an upright position, up the stairs to the showers, and back to the truck. Well, the swell didn’t do all that, it only got me out of the water. Several divers asked how conditions were. I sent them to the Shores, I hope you enjoyed the company.

LJC130.jpg

LJC131.jpg

LJC140.jpg

LJC142.jpg

LJC145.jpg

LJC153.jpg

LJC155.jpg

Top Reason Pasley should hurry home: to share in the surprises

Date: 03/17/2007 St Patty's Day
Time: 03:07pm drop time
Temp: 55 on my computer
Vis: 15-20 at depth 10-15 in the shallow
Max Depth: 111 feet
Bottom Time: 58 mins
Buddy: Glycerin my little Irish Charm

So my plans for today did not include diving. I did a 10k race this morning followed by lunch at Seaport Village with my bud Josh who was in my neck of the woods. We're eating our lunch and he mentions he's gonna go by La Jolla, maybe go dive, he has his gear in the car. Giving me that shy little look he says "you know you wanna go dive" not really, I hadn't planned it, I didn't have anything with me. Of course it only took one more twist of my arm and we were finishing lunch so I could go back home load the gear and meet him at the shores.

We were greeted with no surf, some chop due to wind, low tide, but all in all very nice conditions for an afternoon dive. Plan was to do the Gardens, Josh had never been to this site, he had double and I had borrowed my roommates 119 so we both had plenty of air.

After a nice kickout we dropped in 38 feet of water, the terrain did not look familiar to me, and taking a heading west didn't help as it just didn't look right. But, we found lots of Squid Eggs and followed the contour of the ledge we were on. The ledge held lots of Lobster and baby Rockfish. I tryed my hunting skills to no avail and started laughing when I realized Josh was watching me to no avail, hmmmm I must look like a dork. Josh kept looking out towards the large carpet of eggs and though it wasn't the direction we wanted to go I motioned okay lets go that way. We followed the carpet until it ended and I put us back on a westerly tack. When we hit 95-100 I turned South, and shortly there after had to do myself a little victory dance and started laughing again, as there in front of me was the Gardens. Hmmmm, again I must have looked like a dork.

Red Gorgonians, White Spotted Porostomes, Sponges, Purple Fans, Yellow Zooanthid Anenomes, Tube Anenomes, Goby's, Ronquil's, one very large Sarcastic Fringehead, a lot of Squid Eggs following at the bottom of the Gardens as well. As we neared our NDL time I motioned to go up slope to level off. Oh My, there were Hermissenda's everywhere. You'd see one, then another, there would be 5-6 in each area. I think we both flooded our masks laughing so hard that we kept finding them. Okay, if we are both laughing that hard and that often we must both be dorks. Lots of Brittle Stars had their arms sticking out of the sand, Sea Pens in all their glory, and more Hermissenda's. As we continued I noticed a lonely Dirona Picta, very pretty, white stripe down the back and all the speckling they have.

As we hit the 60 foot contour we followed it until it ended, Blue Banded Goby, Kelp Crabs, and a very big Yellow Crab hiding in a hole on top of a huge clam. Continuing East there wasn't a lot in the sand today, though Josh's keen eye found a Dedronotis Iris that I had swam right past without seeing. It was absolutely beautiful and as I turned to look I of course silted the poor nudi out. Again laughing so hard I flooded my mask and looking like a dork. When we hit 20 feet Josh stopped me as we had agreed on a little test for todays dive, taking off my ankle weights. I was gaiterless and now he wanted to see if I could make without the weights. I'm happy to report I did pretty damn good without the weights. Of course I was using the 119 which is a heavier tank and had only lost 2 pounds for it, so this test will need to be repeated with a 100, but hey I did it. So I might laugh too much and silt out the nudi, but you can no longer call me a dork for my ankle weights and gaiters. :rofl3:

I stopped a couple of times to show Josh a Sea Pansy, and the sand Anenomes you see on the swim back. I had my finger next to one to try and show him, not sure he saw it, but he saw the hole it made when it sucked back in the sand, again laughing so hard I flooded my mask. Okay, enough laughing for one day I think, we continued on and stood up in 4 feet of water in nearly the spot we entered. I love when that happens.

Thanks for the dive today Josh. Next time I won't make you twist my arm more than once. It's been awhile since I laughed so much on a dive, I'm even smiling as I write the report. :D

Top Reason Pasley should hurry home: the nudi's
Date: 03/18/2007
Time: 09:00am splash
Temp: 53
Vis: 15-20
Max Depth: 99 feet
Bottom Time: 42 mins
Buddy: Glycerin, ChickoftheSea, Vetdiver, and Kelly the Boat Op

Time: 12:18pm splash
Max Depth: 101 feet
Bottom Time: 53 mins
Buddy: Glycerin

Having twisted Josh's arm to stay another night we got him on his first Pt Loma dives on the Dive Animals Panga and his first trip to Nudi Grotto. We had overcast skies all day but little wind, almost no swell, and just a tad of surge at depth.

After yesterday's experiment I left the ankle weights off but put one in my drysuit pocket, using a smaller tank and didn't want to be light. Also, was able to bring my camera today and better yet it didn't flood. I had a few problems with settings and didn't get as many pics as I would have liked.

On the first dive we all dropped in together and stayed that way most of the dive, looking at all the astounding numbers of nudi's. I thought Josh was just gonna have a caniption as he would find one after the other, really tiny ones, and some big honkins ones. A total of 11 for the day, Clown Dorid, Spanish Shawls, Limbaughs Cadlina, Hermissendas, Festiva Tritonia's, several Polycera Tricolor which was surprising I saw them on both dives. White Spotted Porostomes with one of them looking very orangeish, San Diego Dorid's were abundant as were the Yellow Edged and Yellow Spotted Cadlinas. Also saw Rockfish, Lingcod, Perch, schools of Blacksmith, a few Sheephead, and tons of Lobster.

Kelly had been swimming around the structure we were all exploring, he found 2 anchors, 3 lobster pots, and a fishing pole. No recovery of artifacts today but how interesting to find so much out there in one little spot.

On the second dive it was pretty much just Josh and I. We descended near the anchor line which was actually right over this large crevice between the structure we were on. I lowered into it to swim in as far as I could and look under all the ledges. Lobsters, Lingcod, Rockfish, Urchins, Cowries, Blacksmith, Sheephead, and of course a lot of nudi's on both walls on either side of me. Josh had followed me in, I turned careful not to hit anything, well I tried to be careful. I looked up and knew I couldn't ascend thru the top as it was too narrow so I swam back a bit and Josh slowly ascends with less than an inch on each side flawlessly without moving a single nudi or grain of sand, oh, 1 Bat Star fell, but I caught him and set him on a ledge.

We continued finding many more nudi's and a big ole Lingcod sitting on top of the structure, he was easily 2 feet, maybe a few inches bigger. It was time to go up, here comes Allison and Jen so we all went up together. Josh had some deco time so we hung out, he wanted to play rock paper scissors, but, I'm an old lady, I don't know the rules, three times and I was done with that game. I took to looking at photos on the camera.

Was a wonderful day on the water, a little cold with no sunshine, but some awesome diving with great buddies.

JoshinPtLoma031807.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

PolyceraTricolor1031807.jpg

SanDiegoDoridonBryzoan031807.jpg

IMG_0955.jpg

Cowries031807.jpg

BrownRockfish031807.jpg

link to full album here
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/surfhopper/031807 Pt Loma

Time: 09:54am splash
Max Depth: 48 feet
Bottom Time: 58 mins
Buddy: Scott

Time: 12:15pm splash
Max Depth: 55 feet
Bottom Time: 65 mins
Buddy: Scott

Album: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/031707/

Byl, Scott, Denny, Roger and I met up at Shelter Island for a couple of dives in the kelp. Scott just got a new drysuit and was itching to try it out. Seems after nearly 25 years of diving wet, he has filled his quota of shivering on the boat between dives. The sky was overcast and a fog hung low on the horizon as we motored out to the dive site. The fog cleared but the sun was absent most of the day. The water was cold. A perfect time to try out a drysuit. Byl put us in a shallow spot to for our first dive and soon Scott was splashing over the side and followed shortly by me.

....fast forward to the end of the dive. Scott's big grin was testimate to joy of buying his drysuit. He shouted "that was the best 50 degree dive I have ever had." He did great on his first dive, excellent bouyancy and trim. Great job Scott.

Second dive was much like the first with tons of life and warm dry divers.

PtLoma031707-4.jpg

PtLoma031707-5.jpg

PtLoma031707-16.jpg

PtLoma031707-28.jpg

PtLoma031707-34.jpg

PtLoma031707-45.jpg

PtLoma031707-46.jpg

PtLoma031707-49.jpg

PtLoma031707-53.jpg

PtLoma031707-55.jpg

PtLoma031707-67.jpg

Top Reason Pasley should hurry home: the excited look on your buddies face with their arms as wide as can be when they see something really big.....

Date: 03/19/2007 another Monday Dawn Patrol
Time: 06:09am descent
Temp: 56 but my hands were freezing
Vis: 20 ft at depth, 15 shallow
Max Depth: 76 feet
Bottom Time: 68 mins
Buddies: Divinman and shore support of ChickoftheSea

After an incredible weekend of diving it is still necessary to start the work week out right with a dawn dive on Monday, and that's what we did. Well, Terry and I did, Jen got sidelined with an equipment issue last minute.

No surf, no current, no surge, no wind, pretty damn good conditions out there. Still some biolumenesence in the water but it is no longer hampering the visibility.

We dropped in on the hunt for Dedronotus Iris after reports of them being seen over the weekend at the shores. We were not disappointed, Terry found one right off the bat. Was actually sitting just a few feet away from a little Pipefish. Making our way west with eyes open for more Iris we came upon some small structure that is the Northern edge of Vallecitos Point. There was a Squid on his last legs who as Terry took photos of him would open his tentacles and nearly attack the camera each time it flashed. We made our way over the structure and Terry found a beautiful and very big Pipefish curled around a Kelp Strand. This guys was really big, had to be as thick as your thumb and at least a foot long. His colors were very deep and rich. Just below him in the sand I found a couple of Dirona Picta's and a very cute baby Banded Guitarfish.

After taking many numerous photo's of the Pipefish we started to make our way a little deeper, saw a another Squid, baby Scorpionfish, a Onespot Fringehead, lots of baby Rockfish, tons of Hermissenda's out in the sand. Just like Saturday, you'd see one and then another and then more, just everywhere. Found some more Iris, okay the reports were right. One Iris was swimming before he landed in the sand in front of me. I think I saw at least 6 of them. Lots of Octo's out, of course it was still dark.

As we made our way up slope a bit we hit some more structure and a huge silt cloud started to descend on us. Only 2 things this could be, a Sea Lion or, a Huge Friggin Bat Ray, yes it was the Huge Friggin Bat Ray. This was the biggest Bat Ray I have ever seen. He was digging in the sand furiously not paying much attention to us. I was above shining my light down as Terry started taking video, the Bat Ray just kept going at it for a couple of minutes. I looked over and there were a couple of other large impressions in the sand so he had been here awhile. Finally he lifts up out of his hole, his head is huge, he slowly turns and starts to make his way to the abyss. I followed for a few fin kicks but noticed Terry wasn't following and it seemed we probably needed to turn back anyway.

I motioned for our turn around, it was a pretty non eventful swim in, I did have a very cute Sole swim right in front of me for a way. Then there was the Purple Globe Crab. Bubble Snails and even a few Hermissendas in the shallows on the swim in.

What an incredible way to start the week, ahhhh, the Bat Ray.

Album is here, maybe Terry will post his video of the Bat Ray.....
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/surfhopper/031907 LJS/

Iris1031907.jpg

Iris2031907.jpg

Hermissenda1031907.jpg

DironaPicta031907.jpg

babyBandedGuitarfish031907.jpg

Kim

Great pics Kim, Terry, and LLKZ16! Thanks!

By the way Kim, I'm told I look pretty good in my drysuit =)

Back
Top Bottom