The Pasley "HURRY HOME" March '07 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Date:
Dive Location:
Buddy(ies):
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Top reason Pasley should hurry home:
Comments:

Date: 3/2/07
Dive Location: Vets
Buddy(ies): HBWWTDJDGurl
Time: 6:30-ish PM
Bottom Time: Like an hour or so. I think.
Max Depth: 93 FSW
Vis: That implies we could see. This was diving by braille
Wave height: big enough to make my heart rate rise and my toes curl
Temp at depth: 54
Surface Temp: whatever. Drysuit. Lots o' wind
Tide information: Rising to a high at 8:47 PM
Gas mix: Pirelli
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: Fish Tacos at the Hermosa Brew House... Very impressive.
Comments:

I blasted into the surf. After about 3 hits square to the chest I decided to take bigger strides (to get to the base of each of the waves in the tight, wind-aided sets) and duck under the incoming pounders. Claudette was behind me and just out of rhythm, and got smacked in the grill about 11 or 12 times by the close sets of 2 to 3 footers. When we came together, I asked how was it, she said "the most irratating entry of all time...."

Catch our breath. Drop.

See nothing.

Got closer to the bottom. Lots o' rotting eggs.

Got pummelled but lots of small fishies. Bouncing off my dome, my shoulders, my light head. Idiots.

A couple of dozen Squidly-come-lately's trying to liven the place up with their new eggs. Morons.

Turned at 93 feet. There was just nothing to see. &$%##(*%!!!

Come up outside the surf zone. Watched the rollers rolling in. Kinda freaking me out, as I kept losing Claudette and she was like 10 feet from me. There she is, now she's gone. There she is, now she's gone.

We kicked in, caught the ultimate lull and walked out without breaking stride. We've had exits not half as good on nights twice as calm.

Off to the brewhouse for tacos. Rocked!

Summary:
Entry:...............Irratating
Diving:..............Sucked (in the ocean's defense, it did beat TV)
Exit:.................A gift we gladly pounced on
Post dive hang:..Always great

'Chica - I would never have the confidence to take my piggish 95's through this stuff if you weren't my buddy. Thanks for being solid and confident and skillfully mowing through the elements and the tinglies last night. Nobody else I would do this with.

---
Ken

The PBY wreck

Date: 2Mar07
Dive Location: somewhere out in Lake Mead
Bottom Time: 64 min or so
Max Depth: 188ffw
Vis: 12-15ft or so... and DARK
Wave height: not sure if I was in the ocean during a storm or on Lake Mead?!?
Temp at depth: 52F
Gases:
Trimix 18/40 PO2 1.21 max at 190
Nitrox 50/50 PO2 1.6 max at 70 fsw
100% oxygen PO2 1.6 max at 20 fsw

Since I'm too lazy to type it out, I'll just snag part of the report from another board (and finish with my thoughts at the bottom):

"Conditions today were pretty snotty at first. You would have thought we were off-shore on a NY or NJ wreck. She strapped on those nice shiny doubles, flipped a backroll, picked up her stage bottles and was off down the anchor line. On the bottom we followed Steve's new orange lines over to the tail section of the PBY. Depth was 188 ffw. Transverse distance was about 300 feet over a classic fine silt bottom. Light signals working well between us all and we see the plane in the distance. A quick tour of the wreckage examining the fusilage and the famed "landing gear" it was time to head back to the up-line. 20 minutes on the bottom was just enough to rack up 40 minutes of deco.

Missy heads up and I collect the strobe. At 100 feet I could see the cold setting in on her with water temps of 52f it was not only dark but cold. Add in the helium and it made it feel even colder. At 70 feet and a flawless gas switch it was starting to warm up just a tad. (mostly from gas shift) A quick calculation of planned bottom time and depth and we were able to cut 15 minutes off the original decompression plan (from 25 min down to 20 min) Flying on Nautilus HKBM bubble model and using the Cochran EMC20H puters we were clear to surface in a total of 64 minutes surface to surface. "

My addition to the report:
This was my first mix dive, and what an adventure it was! I never expected the lake to be so rough so I didn't bother to slap on a Scop patch~ BIG mistake! I felt :yuck: on the boat (didnt lose my breakfast though, hehe).. Mistake #2, don't wait to grab the line after you enter the water-- I was pulled away from the boat and had to struggle against the waves to get back to the boat.. The dive itself went very nicely and the plane was definitely a sight to see~ back on the boat, the Steves informed me that I was the first female to ever dive the PBY... :yeahbaby:

Pics? None. #1, it was my first mix dive, #2 conditions sucked, and #3 my cameras housing wasnt rated for that depth :( But the Steve's have a great video of it on their website- http://lakemeadtechnicaldivers.com/galleries/videos/PBYTailSectionWreckageFeb07.html

Date: 03/06/07
Dive Location: Brittle Star backside C.I. and Three Fingers Pt Loma
Buddy(ies): Allison, Kim, Jen and Tyler
Time: Morning to Afternoon
Bottom Time: just over 2 hours
Max Depth: 95ft
Vis: 10-25
Wave height: victory at sea and dead calm
Temp at depth: 51 friggin degrees
Surface Temp: 57
Tide information: I didnt check
Gas mix: 33% and 30%
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: The water is cold...but at least it's wet.

Comments:
Far too tired to write a report so here is the long and the short of it.
Here is the album. No adjustments made except some rotations and the crops on the Behrens and Aldisa(maybe) nudibranchs. I shot some WA with Manual white balance. They are a bit pink and maybe someday I will fix em...maybe.

Great couple of dives. I had never dived the front side of the island. Really cool structure and tons of brittle stars.

http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/030307/

P3030028.jpg

P3030035.jpg

P3030039copy.jpg

P3030041.jpg

P3030042.jpg

P3030044.jpg

P3030045.jpg

P3030046.jpg

P3030050.jpg

P3030054.jpg

P3030055.jpg

P3030069.jpg

P3030078.jpg

P3030083.jpg

P3030092.jpg

and the Pt Loma shots...

P3030110.jpg

P3030111.jpg

P3030119.jpg

P3030122.jpg

P3030125.jpg

P3030128copy.jpg

P3030136.jpg

P3030140.jpg

P3030142.jpg

P3030146.jpg

P3030147.jpg

P3030149.jpg

P3030150.jpg

La Jolla Shores, Sunday 03-04-07

Info: Secret Garden
Cool morning with mostly clear skies
Winds from the west at 10-12 knots
Surf 1’- 2’ at best at 10 second intervals
4.5’ high tide
Sea surface temperature was 60 degrees
Temperature at max depth was 51 degrees
No noticeable surge at depth
Visibility averaged 15’, with 10’ in some locations
Max depth 111’
Total bottom time 51 minutes
Buddies: Terry, Kim

Photos:
Here is a link to the 2 page photo album
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v116/krowsea/LJS 03-04-07/

The Report:
Terry, Kim and I found ourselves at the Shores this morning to spend a little quality time underwater. It was cool but sunny, so we chatted it up a bit before gearing up and heading to the water. Stepping lightly over the pounding surf, we continued west to chest deep water to put on our fins, before starting a slow leisurely swim out. With Terry occasionally pinging the bottom with his handy dandy depth finder, we stopped our westward migration at the top of 45’ of water.

We spent a few moments admiring the Sea Lions that were basking in the sun further west before starting our decent. Stopping a foot or two above the bottom and taking into consideration a mild drift during decent, we started towards the canyon from 47’. The bottom was covered in blankets of Squid eggs as far as the eye and visibility would allow. Huge white patches gave way to complete white carpets, looking more like Big Bear Mountain on a ski trip than the bottom of an ocean. The sand was also littered with dead squid, with the occasional mating pair finishing up their romantic frenzy just above, before joining their comrades on the bottom.

Heading west, the bottom soon started dropping away. Thinking this was a splendid idea, we followed suit. We followed the bottom for quite some time, but it eventually got the better of us, for the drop’r we went, the away’r it got. At 100’ or so, we left the bottom to its own devices and turned south along the slope. Turning south turned out to be another splendid idea, for we soon found ourselves at The Area Formally Known as the Secret Garden. Seeing as how it isn’t much of a secret and little of the original garden remains, I’m not sure what else to call it.

We snooped around for a while, taking pictures of various nudi’s that Terry can identify and I can not, lots of Gobies, an occasional Ronquil, a Southern Kelp Crab, a nice Hemphill Crab on a Red Gorgonian and various sizes of Moon Snail trudging through the sand. The Sea Lions could be heard barking of in the distance, with the occasional curious juvenile, singly and in pairs, buzzing us and stopping on the sand to see if we could come out and play. Knowing we couldn’t match either their underwater gymnastics or their stamina, we waved and continued on our way.

It seemed we had been at T.A.F.K as the S.G. for quite some time when I heard a banging sound. Looking around, I was unable to discover its source before realizing, it was just me, banging up against my NDL’s. Heading upslope silenced the mental alarm. We took our time meandering upslope, stopping to take pictures or checking out interesting creatures like Graceful Crabs, Kellets Whelks and such. I also found a large crab of unknown type almost completely buried in the sand. Since I didn’t want to disturb it just for the sake of identifying it, I’m going to go with Buried in the Sand Crab.

The swim in was uneventful, although no less enjoyable in spite of that. The sun was shining down, the myriad of bottom dwellers were dwelling on the bottom, the kick in was easy and we were in good company doing something we enjoyed. Not wanting to destroy the beauty and symmetry of the monster waves above us, we chose to come in along the bottom, which stayed with us this time, before surfacing in just enough water to take our fins off without falling over. A quick stroll across the sand and an equally fast gear removal was followed by a wonderful breakfast at a land based restaurant. Thanks to my two pals and all the creatures great and small that made this dive such a joy.

P3040028.jpg

P3040031.jpg

P3040039.jpg

P3040040.jpg

P3040047.jpg

P3040051.jpg

P3040057.jpg

P3040065.jpg

P3040068.jpg

P3040078.jpg

P3040083.jpg

Date: 03/04/07
Dive Location: Malaga Cove
Buddy(ies): James
Time: 2:30pm
Bottom Time: 84 minutes :D
Max Depth: 26 feet
Vis: varied from 10 to 20 feet
Wave height: zero
Temp at depth: 55f
Surface Temp: ?
Tide information: low
Gas mix: Air
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: Amazing shore diving
Comments:

When doing some Kayak fishing from Malaga Cove on Saturday I noticed that the water looked really clean and could see the bottom from pretty far out. When out on the kayak I called my buddy James and set up a dive for Sunday. After sleeping in really late we grabbed our gear and made a trip to malaga cove arriving around 2pm. We met a couple of free divers on the way up the trail and they were telling us of amazing vis, so we suited up and made the hike down. We walked toward the point until the path ended and made our entry there. Entry was easy, no surf at all.

On the surface swim we could see the bottom easily, we spotted a few large Cabezon and very large horn sharks when snorkling out to the end of the kelp.

When we reached our drop point we dropped down and headed directly west. The vis was amazing, water was blue and kelp was everywhere. Reminded me of a shallow Catalina dive. We brought a game bag along just in case we saw any bugs and scallops. We caught one legal bug (barely) and got 7 or 8 small scallops for dinner. When we hit the outer edge of the kelp forest the vis got a little green and dropped to about 10 feet. Vis had to be 20 feet in places when inside the kelp canopy.

We also saw at least 20 full sized Horn Sharks laying about in about 10 feet of water. Must be breeding time or something, they were just laying about in the open everywhere. We saw a large school of Halfmoon, a loose school of 10 or so Garibaldi, 3 or 4 Octopus and lots of short lobsters and big lobsters in places where we could not reach.

Surfaced 84 minutes later for the painful hike back up the path.

This was the longest dive I have ever done, and is up there as the best shore dive I have ever done due to the health of the marine environment and the great vis.

- Cheers,
MikeT

Time: 6:21am descent
Temp: 52 Degrees
Vis: 15-20ft
Max Depth: 97 feet
Bottom Time: 68 mins

Kelly emailed yesterday looking for dive buddies for a Tuesday morning dive. I thought...that's a smashing idea and by 6:15 we were strolling though the glass calm water as the morning sun turned the sky a crimson and pink tapestry of light. There were tons of dolphins out and as we were pulling on our fins they were splashing and jumping only 50ft away...in 4 ft of water. Very cool. The kick out was easy and relaxed and with the depth finder in hand, dropping on the wall was simple and easy. Visibility was a bit foggy but nice as we turned first west into deeper water to see how things were down there. They were cold, and squidy. Back up the slope we crossed fields of tiny Hermissenda's out looking for a meal and some nudi-lovin. Back at the wall we turned south and followed the dramatic contours until we reached our turn pressure and then in was over the rise and back to the sand. There were creatures seen on this dive to be sure. Lots of tiny red octopus, crevice kelpfish, island kelpfish, giant kelpfish.....ummmm baby cabezon, baby scorpionfish, baby frindgeheads, blennies....ummmm HUGE frondosus and tiny doto's... oh just lots and lots of stuff. Soo glad I went this morning. Stopped for a quick cup-o-joe but no time to socialize as work was pressing today.

Thanks to those who made it out today and sympathies to those who could not.

:Banane35:

Album: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/030607/

P3060001.jpg

P3060002.jpg

P3060007.jpg

P3060010.jpg

P3060015.jpg

P3060017.jpg

P3060018.jpg

P3060026.jpg

P3060030.jpg

Date: 3/9/07
Dive Location: OML 120 Reef
Buddy(ies): Angelique
Time: 9:37 pm.
Bottom Time: 1:08 min
Max Depth: 38 fsw
Vis: 5-8 feet Max (Pea Soup)
Wave height: 1-3 feet
Temp at depth: 52F
Surface Temp: 58F

I met up with Angelique at OML morning. It was cloudy and overcast and the swell was directly hitting the point. You could see the waves moving from right to left rolling along across the coast to Cobble Beach. The point entry was looking pretty dicey with the waves breaking on the two large rocks. The cove looked smooth and glassy so we decided to head out to 120 reef.

Entry at Cobble beach again was a piece of cake. We kicked out and dropped down past the rock point. The visibility was in the pea soup range today. It was 5 to 8 feet max. As we maid out way out to the reef, I noticed a few Sea Pansies that I really wanted to shoot. However, Angelique for some odd reason decided to run right by them making the 3 foot visibility even crappier (DOH). Not to self, bring a sign that says back off on next dive…..lol. As we moved along from reef structure to reef structure, we were hunting for the regular critters that call the reef home. Today there were a ton of Sea Cucumbers out and a decent amount of fish were out today too; unlike last week.

As we made our way around the reef and back to the shallows, we decided to explore the kelp forest for a while. This time, we were not attacked by huggy the over friendly Harbor Seal who last week was trying to make sexy time with my fins.

The kelp forest is growing nicely. It’s a blast to make your way through the kelp but with the poor vis, it made it more of a challenge. Following a 240 heading back to the rock point, we came across an area where there were a large amount of Spanish Shawls hanging out. The surge made it quite difficult to shoot but I think I ended up with a few OK shots. In the end we both came back with 1000 psi after an hour with our Steel 80’s. I guess we should have stayed longer.

Below are some of the highlights. If I get anything wrong, please feel free to correct me:

Bryozoan
Bryozoan3907.jpg

Fragile TubeWorm
FragileTubeWorm3907.jpg

Sea Cucumber
SeaCucumber3907.jpg

Sea Cucumber
SeaCucumber33907.jpg

Painted Greenling
PaintedGreenling3907.jpg

Star (close up)
Star3907.jpg

Diaulula Nobilis
LemonDorid3907.jpg

Spanish Shawl With Eggs
SpanishShawlWithEggs3907.jpg

Hang On!!
SpanishShawl43907.jpg

Spanish Shawl
SpanishShawl13907.jpg

snakedr takes King Rodney wreck diving in Subic Bay.

P2170005-1.jpg

......Who looks like a Dork?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom