The Pasley April 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marine Room reefs, April 22, 2006

Info:
Dive buddies; Roy and Lisa
Cloudy and overcast morning
3.5’ high tide on a 1.8 knot ebb
Waves 2’ or less
Steady but minor surge
Visibility 10’-12’ on the reef
Water temperature 60 degrees.
Maximum depth 15’
Total bottom time 1 hour 4 minutes.

The Report:

We had originally planned on diving the Cove this morning, but changed our minds due to conditions. I arrived early to check conditions and make a game plan for entry and exit. An initial large set lasting for 3 minutes, with 1 minute of calm, followed by a 5 minute set repeated itself while I watched. Due to the steep slope of the beach, incoming waves were building on the power of the outbound ones, making for large waves from mid-set on. One minute of calm gave us a workable entry window, but with a freshly minted diver in our midst, time constraints didn’t seem like the best idea. We headed to the Marine Room, planning to dive the reefs if visibility allowed, or heading into the canyon if not.

Waves in front of the Marine Room were 1’-2’, and we were past the surf zone by the time we were waist deep. We kicked out a little further to see if the Marine Room reef dive passed my two requirements, which it did. There were no waves breaking over the reef and in 15’ of water, I could see the bottom. That’s pretty much all that’s required to dive the reefs, so off we went, kicking over on our backs on a heading of 240. When we reached the start of the reefs, we dropped down into 8’ of water and continued S/W.

The reefs get larger and the water deeper (marginally so) as you continue on a 240 heading, so we explored and took our time. I brought my camera, but with a new diver present, I decided to forgo photography in lieu of playing tour guide. As expected, life was abundant and curious. Kelp Bass were probably the most abundant, growing steadily larger and more abundant the farther we went. We saw a Giant Kelpfish swimming between the reefs and a couple of small Island Kelpfish tucked down in the grass. Garibaldi, Sargo, Senoritas, Opaleye and Perch were everywhere, hiding in the grass and kelp, hovering above us, or darting in front to see what we were looking at.

There were quite a few Lobster out today, including one giant backed into the reef with it’s massive head and legs hanging out, daring us to tangle with him. The head on this behemoth had to be 9”-10” across. As we were coming out of the kelp and grass, I turned around a rock outcropping, intending to head down a sand channel when I stopped. Off to my left, I saw a big head sticking out passed the rocks. I didn’t immediately recognize what type of fish this was, so I mentally went through a checklist in my head. Let’s see, what type of fish has a turtle like head? Nothing came to mind so I kept looking. OK, which fish has a large turtle-like shell…………hey, wait a minute, that’s no fish, that’s a Sea Turtle!!!!!

My camera was turned off and slung under my arm, so by the time I pulled it up, turned it on and started pointing it, the turtle was already sailing off into the sunset. I was able to snap two poor quality, slightly greenish and blurry photos before it disappeared, but at least you can tell it’s a turtle. I have never seen one in So-Cal before, so this was quite a treat for me. It looked to be about 3’ overall, with a good sized head on it and a very large shell. If we weren’t already having a wonderful dive, that would have put the icing on the cake!

Well, after that high point, we kept exploring, seeing plenty more of the same fish, plus a couple of medium sized Halibut, a Sheep Crab and a very fast Banded Guitarfish. I turned us back early to give us plenty of time to explore the sand flats, but there wasn’t much out to see there this morning. A couple of swimming crabs and a nicely disguised Pipefish were all that caught our attention. It was an easy swim in, staying north until we got in front of the Marine Room due to how shallow it was, then turning east and heading in. An easy swim under the waves brought us up in the shallows followed by an easy exit. Even without the Turtle, this would have been a great dive. Good vis, lots of life and it wasn’t cold. Everyone came back with lots of air left, big grins and happy memories.

John A.

mr01.jpg

mr02.jpg

Date: April 22, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Evil Jeff Shaw
Time: 8:38
Bottom Time: 1:27
Max Depth: 60'
Vis: 10-25'
Wave height: 0-2'
Temp at depth: 50F
Comments: Jeff and I made an uneventful entry from the point and the vis looked great. We bobbed off into the blue. Suddenly, it turned to chocolate milk. The red tide is back. We decided to drop down and get under the muck. Most of my buddies have expressed an interest in night diving at Marineland. We did that today. It was so dark under the red tide that lights were required. We found a Dendronotus iris nudibranch soon after hitting the sand. That makes five dives in a row. I found another one, then two together then a few more, then six in an area less than a foot. I saw 21 altogether. That's right...21!!! They ranged from just over an inch to larger than my hand, and I have big hands.
I didn't see any Tritonia festivas, but I did find two Delonovolva aequalis snails.
Jeff pointed out two Orange Puffball sponges with twin Swell shark eggs next to them. The marinelife is thriving here in the Spring.
As I headed east the light suddenly came on. I was out of the red ceiling and I could see white sand and rocks 25 feet away. Nudis were laying eggs on every structure. Two Cuthona divaes had a pile of eggs that was twice their size. I also found an Atagema alba nudi for only the third time. After nearly an hour and a half I surfaced to a flat, beautiful ocean. After washing gear and telling dive stories with the DiveVets a few of us headed back down to the beach for a little Earth Day beach cleanup. There was surprisingly little trash, although Drysuit Greg managed to bring back a dead animal that I can still smell.
If the red tide doesn't affect the conditions tomorrow, I may get my 200th Marineland dive. To be continued...
SV5000051.JPG

SV5000511.JPG

SV5000593.JPG

SV500110.JPG

SV500092.JPG

SV500134.JPG

SV500115.JPG

SV5000413.JPG

SV500114.JPG

SV500138.JPG

Date: 4/22/2006
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Brandon
Time: 10:47AM
Bottom Time: 50 MINS
Max Depth: 42 FSW
Vis: 15 FT
Wave height: 0-1 FT
Temp at depth: 50 F
Surface Temp: 58 F
Tide information: Low
Gas mix: 21%

Comments:
Brandon and I participated in the Laguna Sea Sport Easter egg hunt today. We'll the egg hunt didn't go too well ... we didn't find a single egg (damn egg mongers). However, we did find tons of cool marine life as we poked around the cracks and holes of Shaw's Cove. Spring is definitely in the air ... err, the sea. The octopi were doing it, the sea hare were doing it, the sea cucumber were doing it, snails were doing it, garibaldi were done doing it ... there were lots of nests all over. We also saw several Spanish shawl on the back side of the reef, a good sized halibut, several lobster including a couple big guys, and one of the biggest sheep crab I have ever seen ... this thing was a mutant! The vis was patchy, 15 ft on average ... better on top of the reef. The water temp was a chilly 50F. About midway through the dive, Brandon started giving me the "chilled" signal. For a moment I thought, "that damn wetrat" ... but then I realized how freak'n cold I was. We cut the dive short ... each surfacing with over 1500 psi. The thought of drysuit is sounding more and more appealing. The $50 entry fee would have been better spent toward a suit or some training :wink:

Date: April 22, 2006
Dive Location: Mission Bay - Yukon & Ruby E wreck dive
Buddy(ies): Scott, Jeanne, Pam, Robert, Juan
Time: 9:15 am & 11:45 am respectively
Bottom Time: 23 minutes on each dive
Max Depth: 100' and 85' respectively
Vis: 10-15' -- murky--YUCK!
Wave height: 4'+ swells
Temp at depth: 51 degrees
Surface Temp: 59 degrees
Tide information: Worsened throughout morning
Comments: Dives enjoyable, but difficult to see. Couldn't really appreciate the majesty of the Yukon (366' long) when you can only see it 10-15' at a shot. The Ruby E was a little more interesting with the colorful life forms on the stern. Water was really cold. I used a .5mm isotherm underneath the 7mm wetsuit and was the only wetsuit diver who wasn't freezing cold upon ascending and exiting the water.

Hopefully I can go back on a clearer day, but still had fun on the dive!

Date: April 23, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Merry, Evil Jeff, Larcifer, Reverand Al
Time: 9:07
Bottom Time: 1:02
Max Depth: 47'
Vis: 20'+
Wave height: 0-2'
Temp at depth: 51F
Comments: We specifically dropped down in the are where I saw lots of Dendronotus iris (Rainbow nudibranchs) yesterday and hit the Motherload. We saw dozens eating and laying eggs.
SV5000312.JPG

We also found some massive ones today, up to 9" long.
SV5000492.JPG

SV5000522.JPG

SV5000482.JPG

SV5000322.JPG

SV5000463.JPG

SV500011.JPG

SV5000161.JPG

SV5000612.JPG

SV5000433.JPG

SV5000422.JPG

SV5000392.JPG

SV5000362.JPG

SV5000203.JPG

SV5000152.JPG

Awesome pics, Phil (as usual). We saw loads of egg ribbons on the backside of the reef at Shaw's yesterday. It seems like the only species we see with any regularity are Spanish Shawls, but I thought their egg masses were supposed to be a pinkish orange color. These were bright wite and looked sort of like this :

3nudieggsdsi.jpg

Anyone have any ideas ? BTW ... congrats on ML dive #200 !

Went to the Dive Animals camping trip this weekend. Managed 5 dives over the three days. Conditions varied from good to REALLY REALLY GOOD.

I was going to write a long report but I figure with 40 people in attendance...someone else will.

If the 200 plus pictures I took, I will only torture you with 77

Image gallery: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v109/divinman/Two Harbors 04232006/

CatalinaDiving_14.jpg

CatalinaDiving_15.jpg

CatalinaDiving_20.jpg

CatalinaDiving_21.jpg

CatalinaDiving_29.jpg

CatalinaDiving_45.jpg

CatalinaDiving_51.jpg

CatalinaDiving_53.jpg

CatalinaTopside_10.jpg

CatalinaTopside_24.jpg

Terry S.

riguerin:
Awesome pics, Phil (as usual). We saw loads of egg ribbons on the backside of the reef at Shaw's yesterday. It seems like the only species we see with any regularity are Spanish Shawls, but I thought their egg masses were supposed to be a pinkish orange color. These were bright wite and looked sort of like this :

3nudieggsdsi.jpg

Anyone have any ideas ? BTW ... congrats on ML dive #200 !

Created by San Diego Dorids. Yellow with brownish spots on their backsides.

Date: April 24, 2006
Dive Location: Vets Park
Buddy: HBDryGlovePrincess
Time: 7:29 PM
Bottom Time: 81 minutes!! (gotta love the 130)
Max Depth: 73 FSW
Vis: 1' at 15 FSW, 5' at 30 FSW, 10' at 70 FSW
Wave height: 2' maybe
Temp at depth: 53 degrees
Surface Temp: whatever - we're in drysuits...
Tide information: typical 2 foot wind blown Vets swells, with occasional rogue 4+ footers. Rising high tide at 7:59 PM

Comments: Sing it with me: "Red, red tide.... I can't see sheee-ahhht tonight..." OY. Thought we'd be crafty and get below it. When we did, the red stinky yuck was replaced by general rising high tide deep canyon detritus. OY! We saw herds of Hermissinda's, buckets of crabs, plates of flatfish, A buffet of shrimp, Eels, some other Nudi's (latinus whateverus.... HBReefCheck can fill in the real names) and the biggest freekin' Sarcastic Fringehead EVER!

She was scratching its chin and it came all the way out of its snail basket like some King Cobra to a snake charmer. It was so very way cool. Of course, with all the junk in the water, if you pause for even a moment with our 18 and 21 watt lights, you're immediately overcome with little critters... so all the pictures of the charming are all UHF with snow.

I took in the real camera (finally got it in on our weekly Vets dive) so I've posted some pics below. I was so pleased to shoot in the canyon after all this time diving it... I just wish we had better conditions. We had to go all commando... spot something and hide the light, get buddy's attention and hide the light, direct buddy to target and hide the light, try to line up a shot and hide the light... otherwise it was a complete white out.

Holding the stop at 15 was easy... we sort of slid up to 15 feet of water and got neg and held on the bottom. We could hardly see our gauges, let alone each other. I'm all pressing the thing against my mask to count down the 3 minutes.... viz at 15 FSW was measured in inches.

Another long (81 minutes), relaxing (.42 SAC) and mellow dive with HBShoreDiveGoddess. Once again I ran out of the surf.... :eek:uttahere Pee Valve is next on the list. Now that me and HBSipperGurl are regularly doing dives in the 70's, 80's and 90+ minute range, I just can't take it... I want to explode. We've licked the exposure thing (DC gloves rule) and licked the gas thing (130's rule) but now we're ending dives cuz I gotta go. I gotta fix that in May and I'll be so much more comfy!

Vets is such an excellent night dive - there is just so much to see. I had the best time. Thanks again!

---
Ken

Sand Eater
59198544.SandEater.jpg

Horse With No Name
59198541.HorseWithNoName.jpg

Chicken Face Flatty
59198539.ChickenFaceFlatty.jpg

Can't See Me!
59198538.CantSeeMe.jpg

Lil Cartoon Crabby
59198542.LilCrabby.jpg