The Pasley April 06 Dive Report Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pasley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Date:
Dive Location:
Buddy(ies):
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Comments:

Date: April 1, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Evil Jeff and HBDiveChicaBabeSpotDetteGirl
Time: 12:12
Bottom Time: 1:06
Max Depth: 65'
Vis: 25'+
Wave height: 1-2'
Temp at depth: 55F
Comments: After sleeping in from a late night at the Cabrillo Beach Grunion Run, Claudette called me and said to get over to Marineland. I'm so glad she did. The vis was so nice that we could still see the bottom before dropping down into 42 feet off the Point. As usual, there was so much to see that we stayed too long at depth. I got some shots of one nudi I had only seen once before, Atagema alba, and one that I had seen a few times but never when I had a camera with fresh batteries, Flabellina trilineata. Claudette pestered a Sheepcrab while I laughed. It was so nice to have great vis again that there will be a large group there tomorrow. DiveVets will hold our usual Sunday Service and we will be joined by the Sandeaters. If conditions are anything like today, there will be a lot of dive reports tomorrow.
Hermissenda_crassicornis1.jpg

Triopha_catalinae5.jpg

SV500098.JPG

SV500082.JPG

On my favorite wall, I found a tube anemone of some kind. The tentacles look like a centipede. Anyone have an idea what this is?
SV500067.JPG

SV5000652.JPG

SV5000592.JPG

SV5000611.JPG

SV5000491.JPG

SV5000481.JPG

Diaulula_sandiegensis5.jpg

This is the first Flabellina trilineata I have taken a picture of.
Flabellina_trilineata.jpg

When I downloaded my images from today I noticed a very tiny one between these mating Hudson's dorids.
Hudson_s_dorids_with_Flabellina_trilineata.jpg

SV5000571.JPG

SV500093.JPG

MaxBottomtime:
I actually made it my wallpaper too. :)
I could spend hours underwater there on each dive. Everyone in the DiveVets group calls that reef Nudibranch Central.

That's a shot for California Diving News Phil - send it in!!

Date:4/1/06
Dive Location:Hendry's Beach (Arroyo Burro)
Buddy(ies): veek (Vanessa) & Ultimate Fly Fisher (Gerald)
Time:9:30 & 11:30
Bottom Time:24min & 25min
Max Depth: 26' & 17'
Vis: 16'+ and 18-20'+
Wave height: 1'-2'
Temp at depth: 54deg
Surface Temp: 65deg
Tide information: low tide, tide coming in
Gas mix: 21%

Comments:
1st dive:
We suited up and headed out. This was Gerald's first beach entry. He did great! We surfaced it out past the surf zone and decended. The vis was about 7-9ft to begin with. It openned up to 16'+ this was a good dive. We were looking for some structure to look at, but, only found a few little spots. Vanessa pointed out a Thornback Ray, I found a crab(about 6-7inches across) half burried in the sand. He latched onto my flashlight and wouldn't let go:D This was a good dive over all.

2nd dive:
Vanessa and I did this dive. The vis was better 18-20'. We went straight out on the beach this time, and found a nice rock and reef system, where we spent the rest of the dive. We seen a huge male sheep crab, with monster claws. There was a few fish, crabs, and a million baby lobsters. They were so cute, only 2-4" long., peeking out from the rocks everywhere. Near the end of the dive, the surge picked up alittle, and when we surfaced, it was a little bit choppy. Over all, another great dive.

I want to thank Vanessa and Gerald for being great dive partners. We will have to do this again.

Rick

Date:
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Bob and Merry
Time: 9:44
Bottom Time: 59 minutes
Max Depth: 59'
Vis: 12-15'
Wave height: 0-2'
Temp at depth: 53F
Comments: I told Bob and Merry to look for Hopkin's Rose nudis for me. Not only did Merry find a pair of them, but she also spotted a Dendronotus Iris, the first I've seen on a rocky reef. They are all over La Jolla, but very rare in Palos Verdes.
The surf was up today at the point and the vis was down from yesterday considerably but it was still a great dive. I didn't get as many images as I usually do because of the surge, but seeing the Iris and a tiny (1/16") Blue-ring Topsnail made up for it.
SV5000411.JPG

Hopkin's Rose

SV500032.JPG

Dendronotus Iris

SV500030.JPG

Dendronotus Iris

SV5000252.JPG

Triopha catalinae

SV500023.JPG

Blue-ring Topsnail

SV5000221.JPG

Hermissenda crassicornis

SV5000103.JPG

Cadlina limbaughorum

SV5000072.JPG

Cadlina luteomarginata with a baby below it

Date: 4/2
Dive Location: Crescent Bay/Deadmans Reef
Buddy(ies): Wetrat (John L)
Time: 8:34
Bottom Time: 74 minutes
Max Depth: 63
Vis: 25+
Wave height: 1-2' with some 3'
Temp at depth: 55°
Surface Temp: 56°
Tide information: low
Gas mix: 30%
Comments: I woke up late for this one. I set my clock ahead correctly, but set the alarm for P.M. not A.M. DUHHH! When I got to the beach John was still there waiting for me. He said he was going to give me an hour just in case I forgot the clock thing.
We geared up after checking things out and headed to the beach. There were some random 2-3' waves crashing but mostly it was Lake Laguna conditions.
On the swim out to Deadmans we saw a pod of Dolphin swimming toward Seal Rock. The swim was easy and after a briefing we dropped down on top of the reef in 30' and headed to the outside of the reef. As we were following the reef/sand interface and checking things out on the rocks, I happened to look into a tiny hole (thumbnail size opening and about an inch deep) I saw a Hermissenda hiding in it. I had my camera but I don't think I could have gotten a picture of it as the opening of the hole was so small. I showed it to John but he had a hard time telling what it was. I pulled out the wetnotes and wrote it out for him.
There was lots of fish out today, or it just appeared to due to the awesome visibility and as we neared the shrine, we saw a lone Sea Lion off in the distance. As my eyes left him the gazed across white mounds of squid eggs. We followed the eggs out to 63' and they were still going. Lots of eggs around the shrine and off to the limits of visibility.
I got some shots of a San Diego Dorid and came across two Flabellina trilineata's, one of which was tiny.
After John signaled turn pressure we headed towards the inside of the reef and back toward shore. On the way, but still on the outside of the reef, I came across a Sarcastic Fringehead almost completely out of his hole. As we approached, he stayed out and allowed me to get a couple of shots of it.
Lots of Octo's sleeping, Lobster out roaming in the daytime and awesome conditions were some of other things we saw today.

What a great day for diving. Get out there before that southern swell hits!!!

Robb
Some pics:
S_shawl_edit.jpg

dorid1.jpg

eggs21.jpg

eggs2.jpg

flab1.jpg

fringe.jpg

lobster11.jpg

Thanks for the friggen' incredible dive, Robb!! Don't forget the moray. :D All the fish know Robb so well out at Deadman's, they act like the gang at Cheers when Norm walks in. No matter what they're doin', they stop and say in unison, "HI ROBB!" :cheers:

Seriously though, you're an awesome diver, dude. Thanks for answering all my questions and for pointing out so many cool things! Too bad Ken wasn't there, he mighta had fun!

wetrat:
Too bad Ken wasn't there, he mighta had fun!

Kenny may have, but he was diving OML with the National 'Dette. (too bad Ken didn't get an invite to OCal.... AHEM!!!... making me beg, dang you.)

After loaning my reg to a diver that left there's at home on Friday, I got to OML this afternoon, only to realize I left MY REG at home (never put it back in the gear box... me so lame...)

So our own Phil Max Garnertime was there to step up and save my butt. Buddy, you rule. Thanks so much!

Me and CD saw TWO (count 'em, two) of those wacky Dendronotus Iris nudis! One on a rock, and another crawling up the side of a big 'ol Tuber.

87 minute dive, max depth 68' (gotta love the 130...) Awesome. Nudis, octos, huge fishies, and more. She'll chime in with her dive report, I'm sure.

I'll post some pics later. Ike is in the shop, so I was with the Sony P&S.... so bogus.

Phil - you rule.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom