The Oasis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TexasMike, Corsair and wife and another member of the Texas Swamp Diver team made a trip to the Oasis yesterday. This is a small shallow spring fed quarry a little outside Denton. Water temp at depth was a balmy 90* with a max depth of 18'. Vis was at best 5 feet. I did work on UW compass navigation and swimming without my mask. I need much more work on UW nav.

Lessons learned:

I swim in circles. I have no idea why, but I swim in big clockwise circles.

There is much to be said for diving with gear you are comfortable in. I was trying TexasMikes Ranger BC and I realize now that part of my problem is it was too big for me.

Put all your gear in your dive bag. My primary mask and my log book were sitting on my dresser next to each other. I grabbed my log book and left my mask. At least I had a secondary.

Tom

I swim in circles too if I don't use my compass and I can't see the bottom or other visual references...the reason is because one leg is a bit stronger than the other so your "kick strength" will cause the turn when you don't have anything visually to orient on.

Big BC: Are you trying to say I should cut down on the Cheeto's and Oreo's for lunch??? :p Actually you're right, visualizing your size makes me think the medium shoulder harness would have been better versus the large I have, and a smaller cumberbund.

I will add that we did see some pretty good size fish (both small mouth bass, channell cats, and sunfish. But no pirhanna perch like we had been warned about.

Sounds like you guys need an ocean break.

Who was the other member? Anyone we know?

Not yet, but he will be here soon. Goes by the handle "TruckDiver". He drives for R&L Freightlines. Met him and his wife Shiela at Dinner Saturday.

Aaaand, I actualy came across him waaay back in March at a LDS's pool when he was trying to help his wife overcome some claustrophobia issues and I was playing with a Ranger BC to see if it was the one I wanted to purchase. Had a major case of "small world" syndrome happen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom