The November '06 Pasley Dive Report (hurry home, bud!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Date: 11/19/06
Dive Location: Laguna Beach, Deadman's Reef
Buddy(ies): James and Eric
Time: 10:45 AM
Bottom Time: 45 min.
Max Depth: 46 fsw
Vis: 12-20ft
Wave height: 2-4 ft
Temp at depth: 60
Surface Temp: ?
Tide information: mid tide going out
Gas mix:air

Comments: had a great dive at Deadman's reef in Laguna today. Beautiful sunny day. Entry was easy between sets, very clear water over the sand on the swim out to the end of the point. Swam past seal rock, decended and did the south by southwest swim underwater to the reef. Saw some sardine schools during the surface swim, and found a small flatfish on the sand on the underwater swim.

Once we found the reef, we saw a couple of nice sized octopus, the largest guitarfish I have ever seen, big schools of what my buddies thought was Sargo, although I think it was something else, they were fairly big fish in a tight school. Seen them before at a different Laguna site. The reef was covered with scallops, gargonians, sea hares and sponges.

There were giant schools of Blacksmith all around the reef, all different sizes. Many Garibaldi of course, as well as lots of different sized sheepshead. We saw some real big scorpionfish and large sand bass too.

I didn't see it, but other buddies saw a yellow goby, maybe a black eye goby, but more yellow.

It's such a fantastic dive site, it's too bad it's so far from shore, the underwater trek eats up lots of air, leaving little time to explore the large deep reef out there.

Exit was also very easy, the showers at this site are a great for a quick rinse.

- MikeT

Date: 11/21/2006
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Glycerin
Time: 6:46 AM
Bottom Time: 82 MIN
Max Depth: 45 FSW
Vis: 15 FT
Wave height: 1 FT
Temp at depth: 61 F
Surface Temp: 62 F
Tide information: 8:17 AM PST 6.06 feet High Tide
Gas mix: 21%
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: So Cal joggers :eyebrow:
Comments:
[3 Hours Ago 04:22 PM] riguerin: ... in case we get silted out by the army of Garibaldi that follow Josh around.
[3 Hours Ago 04:03 PM] riguerin: We'll have to lay down some cave line next time
[5 Hours Ago 01:59 PM] Glycerin: ....nice swim-throughs
[6 Hours Ago 01:26 PM] riguerin: ... oh and Josh was showing off his new back kick. Looks pretty cool !
[6 Hours Ago 01:24 PM] riguerin: ... surge was minimal so we got to do a few fun swim-throughs. Thanks, Jan !
[6 Hours Ago 01:23 PM] riguerin: ... and a frisky sea lion
[6 Hours Ago 01:23 PM] riguerin: ... lots of friendly fishes
[6 Hours Ago 01:22 PM] riguerin: ... bunch of morays
[6 Hours Ago 01:22 PM] riguerin: ... octopus
[6 Hours Ago 01:21 PM] riguerin: Lobster
[6 Hours Ago 01:01 PM] SurfHopper: Okay, can you just help a poor diver stuck at work going crazy needing relief?
[6 Hours Ago 01:01 PM] SurfHopper: I need details, critter details that's all I need. Can you help a goddess?
[6 Hours Ago 01:00 PM] riguerin: I need data
[6 Hours Ago 12:50 PM] SurfHopper: Come on now, how hard is it to post a report from work after diving?
[7 Hours Ago 12:36 PM] riguerin: HA HA HA !
[7 Hours Ago 12:20 PM] Glycerin: Report. The dive was great
[7 Hours Ago 12:18 PM] riguerin: ... or Josh could post a report. Hey, isn't it your turn, dude ?
[9 Hours Ago 10:48 AM] riguerin: I'll post a report when I get home and download computer.
[12 Hours Ago 07:19 AM] SurfHopper: I was awake at that time, running not diving. Don't forget to share when you get back.
[14 Hours Ago 05:01 AM] riguerin: Wakey Wakey

Anyone considering diving PV over Thanksgiving, I'd highly recommend it. With the morning high-high tide vis is kicking ***!

Date: 11/21/06
Dive Location: White Point
Buddy(ies): solo
Time: 8:13 AM
Bottom Time: 53 min
Max Depth: 40 fsw
Vis: 25-30 ft
Wave height: <1 ft, super flat today
Tide information: high-high, just going out
Comments: Film crew on site today, but they didn't give me any trouble. Went in the usual left side of the cove, high-high tide made for an easy swim out and byoo-ti-ful vis! Descended off the rocks at the east point, headed south into deeper water. Never been here with this kind of vis, so enjoyed the scenery, checked out the vents, and spied a few bugs.

Time: 10:02 AM
Bottom Time: 1 hr, 5 min
Max Depth: 30 fsw
Vis: 25-30 ft
Wave height: <1 ft, still flat
Tide information: high going out
Comments: Descended on the same spot, but this time headed east around the point into Abalone cove, then back out. Calm, calm, calm. Found a nice fishing pole on the bottom at about 30 ft. Don't really fish, but maybe I can now. :)

Time: 2:06 PM
Bottom Time: 1 hr, 14 min
Max Depth: 20 fsw
Vis: 10-15 ft
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 61
Tide information: almost low-low
Comments: Entered off the rocks on the right side of the cove this time. The kelp is thick! Vis degraded with the low tide, but still not bad at all. Surgy over the reefs, but lots of schools of halfmoons, surfperch, and topsmelt. Calicos aren't shy here at all! Hung out in a few underwater "rooms" beneath the kelp canopy, with sunlight filtering down thru the portholes above. Arrgh no camera!

happy turkey day,
Adam

Date: 11/22/2006
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove, Laguna Beach
Buddy(ies): Kelphelper
Time: 12:57 PM
Bottom Time: 71 MIN
Max Depth: 36 FSW
Vis: 15 FT
Wave height: 1-2+ FT
Temp at depth: 62 F
Surface Temp: 65 F
Tide information: Draining - ~3ft
Gas mix: 21%
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: Diving with birthday girls.

Comments: Today I had the honor of diving with birthday girl, Deb. We met at Shaw's around noon time. A quick conditions check revealed a noticeable bump in ground swell energy from the previous day. Some modest sized knee-waist high waves were breaking in the cove, resulting from a combo of building NW energy crossed up with some background SW. Skies were sunny and clear. The tide was draining and coming off a huge +6.05 FT high earlier this morning.

We eventually suited up, made our way to the water, and made an easy-peasy entrance. We descended near the opening to the crevice and made our West. As we approached the Arch we encountered some noticeable surge (~2-3+ft). The bigger surprise was the amount of water rushing into Shaw's from the Crescent side (likely due to the large tide swing). After tooling around for a while, we reversed tracks and let the current sweep us back into Shaw's. Once back, we turned South and slowly followed the reef line out toward deeper water until it ran out ... we eventually turned around and headed back. Doesn't get much easier than that.

As far as critter sighting go, some of the highlights are: a couple Hopkins Rose nudies spotted by eagle eye Deb; a young California Halibut trying to its best to conceal itself; a beautiful two spot octopus showing off its wall climbing skills; a mutant sized cabezon posing for mug shots; a few well hidden bugs; as well as the entourage of typical reef fish.

Upon exiting, we were greeted by a large group of jr college biology students who were on a field trip. As they approached us Deb said, "Ok, you do all the talking ... I'm winded" (She was carrying extra lead for dry suit). However, when the first question was fired out ("So, what did you see out there ?"), Deb promptly intercepted it. She patiently described the critters we encountered as well as many interesting facts about them. When asked about absent species, she very eloquently described the upset in the fragile balance that our local reef system has experienced - the over abundance of urchins ... the decimation of the kelp ... the diminishing numbers in the species that predate on urchins. I just stood in awe. I was completely amazed at how comfortable and connected she was with the group. After some time, the leader finally asked, "How do you know all this stuff ... are you a Biologist ?" She replied, "No I am not. I'm just someone who has a passion for the ocean." After a brief pause, the group of ~20+ young adults broke out into a round of applause.

It took a while for that experience to really set in. You know, most of us have some kind of "passion for the ocean" ... heck, we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't. But I think what really sets Deb apart is the willingness to share that passion with others. OC Diving is a wonderful resource for local divers. It would not exist without one individual's passion for the ocean and a willingness to share it with it others. Thanks, Deb.

Some pics from today:

Shaws112206_0001a.jpg

Shaws112206_0019a.jpg

Shaws112206_0022a.jpg

Shaws112206_0025a.jpg

Shaws112206_0030a.jpg

riguerin:
Upon exiting, we were greeted by a large group of jr college biology students who were on a field trip. As they approached us Deb said, "Ok, you do all the talking ... I'm winded" (She was carrying extra lead for dry suit). However, when the first question was fired out ("So, what did you see out there ?"), Deb promptly intercepted it. She patiently described the critters we encountered as well as many interesting facts about them. When asked about absent species, she very eloquently described the upset in the fragile balance that our local reef system has experienced - the over abundance of urchins ... the decimation of the kelp ... the diminishing numbers in the species that predate on urchins. I just stood in awe. I was completely amazed at how comfortable and connected she was with the group. After some time, the leader finally asked, "How do you know all this stuff ... are you a Biologist ?" She replied, "No I am not. I'm just someone who has a passion for the ocean." After a brief pause, the group of ~20+ young adults broke out into a round of applause.

It took a while for that experience to really set in. You know, most of us have some kind of "passion for the ocean" ... heck, we wouldn't be doing this if we didn't. But I think what really sets Deb apart is the willingness to share that passion with others. OC Diving is a wonderful resource for local divers. It would not exist without one individual's passion for the ocean and a willingness to share it with it others. Thanks, Deb.
BRAVA, Debbie for your knowledgeable generosity!!

BRAVO, Rick, for your eloquent appreciation of one of our sparkling coastal jewels: Debbie.

Beautifully offered, both of you :)
Claudette.

Date: 11/24/06
Dive Location: Wreck of the F.S. Loop, off the breakwater near Angel's Gate, LA Harbor
Buddies: Ross and Elaine
Time: 10ish AM
Bottom Time: 46 minutes
Max Depth: 75fsw
Vis: 10-15 feet... obnubilate
Wave height: Shore? What shore?
Temp at depth: Sweet 61F
Surface Temp: mid 60s
Gas mix: regular
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: To remind all of us that we're really hoovers by comparison.

A slooow drive through heavy fog made for a relaxed start, but Ross and company were soon afloat and bound for the San Pedro Shelf and the Palos Verdes peninsula. 5 divers, 16 tanks, and a mountain of gear! It takes a lot to put land mammals underwater repeatedly.
Elaine, Ross and I slid down the line through clear surface water. Our smiles dimmed as did the light around 50fsw.. this was not to be a repeat of last weeks 40 foot viz on the inside wrecks. Dang. The anchor had splashed nicely onto the edge of the chaotic debris field that is the Wreck of the F.S. Loop. Welcome to NUDIBRANCH RANCH! MacFarland's Dorid, Sea Lemons, Cadlina luteomarginata, Spanish Shawl, Hudson's dorid, Tritonia festiva, Monterey dorids, San Diego dorids, Triopha catalina... It's like a walk through the the Wild Nudi Park. "And on your left you can see two Tritonia festiva's attempting to locate each others stomas for hermaphoroditic mating... it's a mechanical act they never tire of." (Doesn't everyone hear narration like this when diving? It keeps me cracking up...) Elaine framed up many pictures while Ross and I wandered over the debris enjoying the creatures but remembering the glorious 40 foot viz we had last week. It was Dark!! But warm.... 61-balmy degrees on a wreck that is 51F most of the year. The nudi's were probably panting in the heat wave! Last sweet surprise was a picture-perfect swell shark egg-case, hung like a Christmas ornament on a gorgonia, with a perfect nudibrach egg spiral at the upper corner. And when lit from behind, a perfect baby swell shark wriggling inside, no more than 2 inches long! Back up the line, out onto the deck, and batten down the hatches for the roaring drive to Hawthorne Reef.

Dive Location: Hawthorne Reef, offshore from the end of Hawthorne at Palos Verdes Drive
Buddies: Penny
Time: noonish
Bottom Time: 44 minutes
Max Depth: 80fsw
Vis: 30-40 beautiful feet
Wave height: Below the gunwales
Temp at depth: Summery 63F
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: Because sand is more fun when it's wet.

The Dive: Penny and I splashed in and floated downwards into a fluttering flock of blacksmiths! There were so many it was dazzling, and they spread out and made room for us bubbling big-things. We found the anchor, reclining lazily on the rippled sand in the misty green light. Sand stars raced about on errands. We finned toward dark sillhouettes which crystallized into beautiful reef structure, blanketed in corynactis and kelp, anemones and limpets. This reef really has great rock structure!! In the great visibility, it was fun just to motor slowly around and between the towering pinnacles, many rising over 20 feet from the surrounding sand. Ross pointed out a large swell shark sleeping whaaay back in a deep crevice. Fish surrounded us through out the dive. Penny was looking calm, collected and happy in her new dry suit as we hovered hither and yon pointing out pretty stuff to each other. A Tiny Triopha catalina (Clown) nudibranch caught our eyes, along with a tinier Facelina stearnsii next to it. Spanish shawls fluttered on nearly every vertical ridge. Our deco-less bottom-time nearly exhausted, we finned to the anchor-line as I gathered the line back onto my fingerspool (This place was a maze.. having a line back was great security :) Giving one last look at the distant rocks, my eyes snapped open, looking into the calm eye of a Giant Black Seabass! Only modestly giant (perhaps 4 1/2 feet long), it's still a Darned Large Black Seabass!! I looked to get Penny's attention, but she was already entranced and smiling as the fish rolled slowly by, about 12 feet away. We lost sight of it as a mass of fluttering blacksmiths came between us and the still nearby bass. Some time ya can't see the fish for all the fish!!
Sweet dive in a gorgeous place. Smooth ascent with stops at 40, 30, 20, 10. Sunshine welcomed us back on deck. Did I mention how much gear we had?
Deck? What deck???!?

Dive Location: Wreck 27E, Palos Verdes Kelp beds
Buddies: Scottfiji
Time: 3ish
Bottom Time: 61 minutes
Vis: 1 - 8 feet, sandy, swirly, opaque, surgey, silty, dark :D
Wave height: Way in the distance, they looked small.
Temp at depth: Soft 63F
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: Lobsters are fattening.

The dive: What's the wreck called? I dunno. But it's neat!
As Scott and I descended, I saw something big and white glowing directly beneath me. What is THAT? Concrete? Plastic? Hey, it's got spots... and...fur?? Hey! It's a lounging Harbor Seal, looking gently over it's left shoulder as us bubbling monkeys! We came down softly and the seal lingered for a couple of minutes in the dark silty water. It seemed much less skittish than most I've seen while diving... perhaps the dreadful viz slowed everything down? The seal wandered into our view three more times during the dive, each time slow and relaxed. We headed off on compass headings, seaching for the wreck. Time and sand passed. We turned left 90 degrees and continued. More sand and rock passed. We signalled and turned left again :confused: realizing there is nothing as good as silty water when you want to hide an entire wreck! Hmmmm... let's regroup and talk this over like smart monkeys. We surfaced, finding that we had indeed boxed three equilateral sides of a square from the boat. Thick kelp separated us from the bobbing boat. We took a heading for the boat, descended, kicked forward for about 5 minutes, and ran smack into the wreck at minute 20 of the dive. Apparently Scott really did smack into it pretty hard at one point! The surge was comical... wildly forceful waves swooshed us back and forth next to the prickly and rusted old skeleton of the ship. We wanted to get close to see things, but then had to fend ourselves off the structure using both hands. It's a huge sprawling thing that we circumnavigated in 30 minutes of close examination. I sighed at the ever worsening viz... and then laughed to realize: "HOLY Mackeral.. the sun is setting! No wonder it's feeling like a night dive!" We surfaced to see the sun's red ball vanish behind the distant fog bank. We had left the dock 8 hours earlier and the day had rolled by in laughter, friendship, and the joy of repetitive mechanical acts. :D I love diving. Wonder what we'll see next time!

Thank you Ross for a fantastic day of diving and exploration. Thanks to dive buddies Elaine, Penny, and Scott for all the good fun.

Claudette

Date: 11-25-06
Dive Location: Anacapa/Santa Cruz
Buddy(ies): RObert Morgan
Time: Daytime
Bottom Time: Enough
Max Depth: 33
Vis: 50+
Temp at depth: 63
Surface Temp:
Gas mix: Air
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: The donuts
Comments:

With my regular buddy JMDiver being out of town and unable to connect with some of my other semi-regular pals, I opted to take a chance and try out the Raptor dive boat out of Ventura. Once on board, I hooked up with a relatively new diver, Robert Morgan (who turned out to be from the same area as John and I). For those that have not been on Raptor before, it's a very fast, moderately sized (20 divers max) craft, styled after resort type boats you find in Florida, Hawaii, etc. We only had 10 divers this time so it was really roomy. They supply tanks, 85 cf steelies, 3 per diver on this trip. Saturday morning was gorgeous with not a single cloud in the sky. The trip out to Anacapa took about 45 minutes in a modrate wind chop. Raptor prides in going to places the other boats dont usually go to and our first stop (like the others) was new to me, Underwater Arch. We moored in 25 ft and as I dropped in, I looked down and could count grains of sand on the bottom! Viz was at least 50 ft! A moderate current pushed against us as we made our way towards the arch. Great site! Lots of life...as well as the arch, there is a decent sized overhang/cavern structure. For safety's sake, I limited our dive to my less experienced buddie's air pressure so we only spent about 30 minutes there. Snapped the FexEx nuddie shot below on this dive.

Second dive was at Fish Camp, a few hundred yards west of the u/w arch. Decent reef structure with very little kelp and waaaay too many urchins. Good viz at 40+. My partner's eyes were sharp and he spotted a Bat Ray and a completely exposed horn shark (photos not worth showing unfortunately). Returning to the boat, I discovered we were actually moored over some type of wreckage and regretted not spotting it sooner. In the meantime, the wind kicked up and we headed west towards Cat Rock. Finding that blown out, the skipper decided to try for Santa Cruz. He firewalled the throttles and we made it to (??) Pirate's Cove (??) in less than 20 minutes! Again with good visibility in the 35-45 foot range. Were shadowed by a very rotund harbor seal. Return trip to Ventura was 40 minutes with the wind at our backs.

Raptor pluses: Fast. Roomy. No step entry (swim platform is almost at water level). Good ladders for exit. Friendly and helpfull crew. Fast.
Raptor minuses: Limited dry area. No hot food. Only 3 dives (but at least in port by 4 PM)

SpanishShawlnudibranch.jpg

RobertMRaptor11-25.jpg

Nice report, Orange.

Fed Ex - always a crowd pleaser. I like it when they get all strechy.

I love harbor seals. I SO want to get a good pic of one sometime. We'll be up on the Spectre next Sat for four on Clemente / 'Capa. Can't wait.

Hey Capt Morgan: mix in some de-fog, bro.

:D

Nice pix.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom