The November '06 Pasley Dive Report (hurry home, bud!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMdiver:
Hi Divinman,
Nice shots as usual & that's a good shot of a copper rockfish.

Happy Diving
John

Great job Terry.

John, I'm pretty sure that's a gopher rockfish. Here's a couple copper's I've seen at marineland:

OML1+073.jpg

OML4+012.jpg

Nope according to my RC ID cards it's a Copper Rockfish. It's too light & has a yellow bottom lip. The Gopher is darker.

Happy Diving
John

LLKZ16:
Hey Scott, this was from Friday.

Look familiar.....:11:

holy **** Lee!

I took my photo a few months ago...

that is unbeleiveable...

I guess that's his home... btw, I've read that rockfish can live a long time, up to 115 years.... hopefully we'll see him/her for many years to come...

scott

JMdiver:
Nope according to my RC ID cards it's a Copper Rockfish. It's too light & has a yellow bottom lip. The Gopher is darker.

Happy Diving
John

nice, I love a good Fish-id challenge... It's been a while :)

well, your reef-check id cards may need to be reprinted, lol.

should we make a friendly bet? dinner? air fills? carrying one's gear up and down a dive site of the winner's choice in malibu?

scott

scottfiji:
nice, I love a good Fish-id challenge... It's been a while :)

well, your reef-check id cards may need to be reprinted, lol.

should we make a friendly bet? dinner? air fills? carrying one's gear up and down a dive site of the winner's choice in malibu?

scott

Sounds good to me. Lets put it out there for concenus & maybe my RC mentor Chris can help us out.

Happy Diving
John

Date: 11/4/06
Dive Location: Pt Lobos
Buddy(ies): Dan, Dave, Mike, and Chris
Time: 10:30 ish and 12:30 ISH
Bottom Time: 45 min & 55 min
Max Depth: 106 and 60
Vis: 30- 40'
Wave height: hahaha, no waves...on a BOAT!!!!
Temp at depth: not long enough
Surface Temp: chilly...and foggy, wait, thats not a temp is it?
Tide information: huh???? oh yeah, it was very very high
Gas mix: air
Top reason Pasley should hurry home: we miss you!
Comments:

I was so happy to get back up to Pt. Lobos...although the camera curse of Pt Lobos continues to haunt me. This time, o-rings were stretched too big :(

First dive was at the Great Pinnacle. At 100 feet down, looking further down the colorful wall, I could still not see the bottom somewhere below at 230 feet (ok, I know, "that's a good thing, laurel...") even with the fifty or so feet vertical vis. We saw a very pregnant lingcod, lots of nudis, tons of cup corals and anemones, metridiums, and Dan and Chris "say" they saw a couple of Mola Mola go by...but my mask was fogged :shakehead

The second dive was on the south part of Blue Fin Cove...in an area with a lot of swim throughs. I found three diff species of crabs...NO I did not bring them with me, sillies! The first was a small sheepcrab, the second and adorable little decorator crab with both white and blue sponges on it. I put this up to my mask and Dan took some silly pics of me...The third was a golden colored kelp crab and the last a dead cancer crab molt being eaten by a starfish. It was weird looking.

Again, more nudis, one new species, I am not sure of whem I look in the old nudi book...lots of different rockfish, kelpfish, ohhh... a new rockfish (for me) a kelp rockfish...found an octo at the end of the dive, tried to feed it a live sheepcrab (juvi) but it didn't grab it. I guess it wasn't a GPO. GPOs grab those suckers FAST!

The only sad thing about the dives, were even up there, the kelp is dying.

Date: 11/10/06
Dive Location: Vet’s
Buddy(ies): Jimmy and Angelique
Time: 7:54 pm
Bottom Time: 41 min
Max Depth: 90 feet
Vis: 15-20
Wave height: 2-3 ft
Temp at depth: 59F
Surface Temp: 64F
Tide information: Pushing Low
Comments: Camera Malfunction CRAP!!

Since we could not dive this morning (kids and the holiday) we decided to do a night dive. The waves looked pretty small with only an occasional 3 footer rolling through.

After an easy entry we kicked out in line at the end of the pier and descended. The vis was pretty great tonight as we slowly made our way out to the monument. There were a ton of small scorpion fish hanging out there. Jimmy caught a lobster but it was a little short. As we started to make our way out to deeper water, I noticed my shutter button was sticking CRAP!! There was a ton of cool stuff out tonight but I only managed to get a few so-so pictures. We came across a baby giant sea bass but my camera refused to operate correctly. See the picture below of his top fin. DAMN I was so excited to see this guy. Oh well, better luck next time. During our dive Angelique and I rescued a large crab caught in a huge ball of fishing line. After we got him free, I tried to bury the ball of line as deep as I could so no other creature would come across it. We worked our way back up the canyon and decided to make this a short 41 min dive. I had over 1000 psi left on my 80.

Vets is a wonderful (and easy) night dive we had a great time.

Crab1.jpg

BSF1.jpg

Fish1.jpg

MC.jpg

Fish2.jpg

Oct1.jpg

BSF2.jpg

SP2.jpg

BGSB.jpg

Quick report:

Time: Morning
Viz: 10-20', usually 15-20'
Water: 63F
Surge: light
Surf: 1 ft, inconsistent

Conditions were pretty nice today. Lots of life out. Over two dives, we saw probably 6 significantly large bat rays. Lobster and octopus everywhere.

Hooray!

/End quick report

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom