The North America(n)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Several years ago, Tommy Thomson and Berry Schots (sp) found the Central America (sorry, I got the name wrong) off the coast of North Carolina in a mile and a half of water. The ship was on it way back from the West coast loaded with minted coins and gold valued at 400 million. A hurrican took it down in 18something. Tommy invented a silicone substance that he could cover the stacks of coins with and bring them back to the surface in one chunk using an uw rv that he also built. When the discovery became public, several insurance co. filed on the contents of the wreck and it went into litigation. I have since lost track of the final outcome of this find. Tommy and Berry were both high school students of mine back when. I have not been successful in contacting them over the years. If anyone has a web site or knowledge of this find, please post. Thanks in advance. Since I posted this, I did find a web site with info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom