The new Freedom Contour - The Rolex of backplates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like to request a spot on the waiting list. Hoping that it isn't locked down.

Thanks.
Hi Neighbor,

Looking at your avatar, I think you mean TWO (or more) spots on the waiting list. :stirpot:

Hi Neighbor,

Looking at your avatar, I think you mean TWO (or more) spots on the waiting list. :stirpot:

Ha! Good eye! And I very much appreciate a light hearted throwing under of the bus. I would gladly order two! As it is, my wife is in a lower end Zeagle jacket. It is comforting because it is familiar, and she doesn't need me messing with her stuff. Last week I was able to get her into a nice Henderson 5mm to extend our fall diving. But that was only because she is enjoying the diving (some enthusiasm) _and_ she didn't see the price until I was already signing the receipt at the shop. She tolerates a lot from me. And this is our first joint hobby. As long as she is happy I am treading lightly on her set-up. :) If I can get her in some floaty fins we'll be doing good.

I would like to request a spot as well for two plates. Would prefer aluminum but would happily take steel as well. I will also pm Eric about it directly but posting here just in case he sees it.

These look like real things of beauty, but also a very practical benefit. My wife has lower back issues and contouring the plate to wrap more around the hips, even slightly, would be great for her.

It sort of reminds me of those Aqualung fiberglass backpacks that we used in the '70s. They are still the most comfortable thing I can remember for walking around with a tank above water, and super stable with no tank rotation in the water. They were great (except for having to use the yellow horse collar). Something like that, in elegant steel, and with a wing--just wonderful . . . .

Are there photos of how to run a harness? The slots at the top look different from standard plates so I was wondering how that would work.

NEVER MIND, saw some posts on this as I was working my way through the thread.

I'm interested in getting on the "SS wait list". I'm looking for a second backplate and was intrigued by this years ago.

from a previous response on here it seems the waiting is approx 1yr? is this correct?

from a previous response on here it seems the waiting is approx 1yr? is this correct?

The wait time was around there for me. Slightly less than a year.

Reactions: Jay
Right now I’m estimating winter to early spring. Plates are a side hobby I do in wintertime when my regular work slows down. I’m a signwriter by trade, and for some reason traditional hand painted signs and pinstriping has been ‘rediscovered’ and has experienced an explosion in popularity, don’t ask me why. It was supposed to be headed for extinction years ago, but apparently it’s not going anywhere anytime soon as evidenced by the overwhelming amount of inquiries I get. Maybe the dry souless world of digital perfection has finally taken a toll on the minds of real humans? Maybe that’s why you guys like those plates so much that I hammer out one by one. You’re all art collectors whether you realize it or not.
Somehow I need to figure out how to fit all this in.

Right now I’m estimating winter to early spring. Plates are a side hobby I do in wintertime when my regular work slows down. I’m a signwriter by trade, and for some reason traditional hand painted signs and pinstriping has been ‘rediscovered’ and has experienced an explosion in popularity, don’t ask me why. It was supposed to be headed for extinction years ago, but apparently it’s not going anywhere anytime soon as evidenced by the overwhelming amount of inquiries I get. Maybe the dry souless world of digital perfection has finally taken a toll on the minds of real humans? Maybe that’s why you guys like those plates so much that I hammer out one by one. You’re all art collectors whether you realize it or not.
Somehow I need to figure out how to fit all this in.

Now I can finally boast to my friends and family that I'm an art collector... :yeahbaby:

On a side note, looking forward to get my 2nd plate soon! Hopefully I'm in the queue for the next batch of steel hammered with love :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom