The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ordered my TFX in late July. I talked to my Huish rep a couple of days ago and he said my order is close enough to the front of the line that I will receive it out of the next batch they get. But, that will not be until November!

He must have heard my frownie face through the phone. He found me a dealer that had one in stock, willing to do a dealer-to-dealer sale. So, I have one that is out for delivery today. Yaay!

I'm still keeping the order in, so I'll get another one in November. That may be available for purchase shortly after.

I ordered my TFX in late July. I talked to my Huish rep a couple of days ago and he said my order is close enough to the front of the line that I will receive it out of the next batch they get. But, that will not be until November!

He must have heard my frownie face through the phone. He found me a dealer that had one in stock, willing to do a dealer-to-dealer sale. So, I have one that is out for delivery today. Yaay!

I'm still keeping the order in, so I'll get another one in November. That may be available for purchase shortly after.
Keep the first stage and sell me the 2nd stage🙇😊

But seriously…

I put the TFX on a tank to cop a quick feel.

If I breathe in very slowly, it’s fine.

If I take a normal, deep breathe, it honks badly. And when it’s honking, it feels like whatever is making the honki noise is also cutting off the air supply. I.e. it is hard to inhale when it’s honking.

Can anyone confirm whether that is normal? Should I still expect it to be fine once I get it in the water?

But seriously…

I put the TFX on a tank to cop a quick feel.

If I breathe in very slowly, it’s fine.

If I take a normal, deep breathe, it honks badly. And when it’s honking, it feels like whatever is making the honki noise is also cutting off the air supply. I.e. it is hard to inhale when it’s honking.

Can anyone confirm whether that is normal? Should I still expect it to be fine once I get it in the water?
It is obviously defective. You can send it to me for proper disposal at no charge. :wink:

If I take a normal, deep breathe, it honks badly...
Yes, completely normal! This is a very thin diaphragm, and the valve produces a smooth but large onset of flow. The internal volume of the case is low. All combined, this yields a fair velocity of air that is (starting) to provide the desired Venturi assist to valve opening.
On the surface, the problem with this is that it's a little like a flag flapping in the breeze. The vibration of the lever during the honking causes the valve to intermittently close for a fraction of a second, which yields the difficulty you feel in breathing. During a dive however, surface tension of the ambient water in contact with the outside of the diaphragm stabilizes the skirt completely. There will be no honk at ANY level of inspiratory flow, and the valve will stay open.

Mildly annoying, when you want to play with your toy on the surface.

For me, trying to run flow tests to simulate hard work at depth, I need to stabilize the diaphragm by immersing it in a half inch of water. This then almost opens my lightly tuned valve, making things a little squirrely. First-world problems...

I know it's OT, but since I think everyone who even might be interested in in this thread...

I just posted 3 x D400s for sale in the Regs classifieds. Just FYI.

On topic. Okay, near topic. I did go diving today. But, I did not end up getting my TFX wet. Long story short, it was a shore dive and the lake was down. Getting in and out over rocks in the water was a huge pain. Trying the TFX would have been a bonus mission and I was not up to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom