The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NOoooo!!! Those 2nd stages are designed only for a piston 1st stage. You can't mix them with a diaphragm 1st stage. They will explode. You will die!!

Ok, ok, connect the TFX ss to an MK2 Evo. That will be eye catching. It will be the only way to get @Nemrod to buy a TFX ss :)

(I think that I'll do that when my TFX ss arrives, I have an older MK2, pre EVO).

@stuartv got a piece; @Geo7 got a piece; @scrane got a piece; you're all right!

The direct flow from poppet to mouthpiece is one part of what makes the D's and TFX great, compared with the convoluted pathway in a barrel design.
The orifice is bigger than with a barrel design.
The cam on the lever augments valve opening as described, but is unlikely to be more than momentary at peak inspiration without the assistance of Venturi forces.
The strong Venturi assist of the D's and TFX (and their exquisitely sensitive adjustment) is probably what holds the lever at max excursion until the very end of inhalation, allowing the cam to open the valve wider, allowing the larger orifice to flow even more gas, which travels that extraordinarily short flow path to your mouth. It's quite amazing that the TFX is as smooth as it is with sharp inhalation.

You can't get a shorter flow path on any barrel reg except a C350 downstream, and that one's modest;
you can't get a bigger orifice on a barrel reg and stay even reasonably balanced;
you might add a cam to a barrel reg, but not without adding stiffness due to lever foot geometry.

'Bout the only thing you can get is good Venturi, at which the C370 excels! But it's an "in your face" kind of boost unless you subtly detune the Venturi on that reg.

No doubt about it. The TFX is smooth.

Ok, ok, connect the TFX ss to an MK2 Evo. That will be eye catching. It will be the only way to get @Nemrod to buy a TFX ss :)

(I think that I'll do that when my TFX ss arrives, I have an older MK2, pre EVO).

Oh dear. No way. A simple little thing like a Mark 2 Evo, beautiful in it's simplicity and then combine that with what might be the highest parts count and most complicated and possibly ugliest second stage ever mass produced and in such a combination an abomination of purpose, both an insult to the other and each the epitome of it's type, one as simple as dirt, so simple it really does not have a service interval except demanded by lawyers and the other complex to the point of being ridiculous, one inexpensive (well, sorta, it does have the $ on it), the other ridiculously expensive (can I use the word ridiculous twice in a single post?).

Oh dear. No way. A simple little thing like a Mark 2 Evo, beautiful in it's simplicity and then combine that with what might be the highest parts count and most complicated and possibly ugliest second stage ever mass produced and in such a combination an abomination of purpose, both an insult to the other and each the epitome of it's type, one as simple as dirt, so simple it really does not have a service interval except demanded by lawyers and the other complex to the point of being ridiculous, one inexpensive (well, sorta, it does have the $ on it), the other ridiculously expensive (can I use the word ridiculous twice in a single post?).
That is positively Shakespearean.
:like:
OMG.
"...beautiful in its simplicity, and then combine that with what might be the highest parts count, most complicated and possibly ugliest second stage ever mass produced, and in such combination an abomination of purpose, [each] an insult to the other and each the epitome of its type..."

I would comment however, that it is testament to my equanimity of spirit that I did not react inappropriately to the description "ugliest second stage ever mass produced". I would merely note in passing that, the beauty of the redesigned "scrotum" case lies in the eye of the beholder.

ugliest second stage ever mass produced".

He should be banned from SB for a couple of days at least for saying and thinking that. If nothing else, he goes to bed early without dinner.

with what might be the highest parts count and most complicated and possibly ugliest second stage ever mass produced and in such a combination an abomination of purpose,
I laughed so hard I spat coffee around the room when I read that, classic. :yeahbaby:
that it is testament to my equanimity of spirit that I did not react inappropriately to the description
So cool, class.:thumb2:

Both funny, love it.

I wish @Nemrod would stop beating around the bush. Just tell us what you really think, man!

He is so shy, he needs to get over his shyness for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom