The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sure you are right in revealing fashion to be a major driver in divers buying new SCUBA gear. I remember threads here where people asked reg advice for their girlfriend, because her G250 looked too "dated" (only to be followed by a public outcry on the forum.. :wink: ).

But I think most of the people actively posting in this thread are hanging on to their unfashionable D400s, and are finally offered a replacement. I abandoned my D400s as I preferred the advantages of titanium (and parts availability) in my upgraded T1s, but the TFX leaves me no excuse except $$$...

I am sure you are right in revealing fashion to be a major driver in divers buying new SCUBA gear. I remember threads here where people asked reg advice for their girlfriend, because her G250 looked to "dated" (only to be followed by a public outcry on the forum..).

But I think most of the people actively posting in this thread are hanging on to their unfashionable D400s, and finally are offered a replacement. I abandoned my D400s as I preferred the advantages of titanium (and parts availability) in my upgraded T1s, but the TFX leaves me no excuse except $$$...
@buddhasummer would know nothing of which you’re intimating.

Thanks for your excellent review! Great job describing those nuances that aren't easily measurable.

When I compared a hot tuned D400 to my T2s, I also felt the differences were subtle. It seems the TFX can flow more air on a sharp inhale (I assume stronger venturi response), so that's great news for me.

I wonder if the long exhausts on the M1 trap some air in front of the exhaust membrane for a little while when inverted, and the exhaust diaphragm does not have enough time to leak water into the reg between breaths?
Although the venturi adjustment linkage is different, I get the feeling that both the TFX and the D series shoot air directly to the mouthpiece and on down your throat when fully open. The orifice might be larger on the TFX, though. Also, the cam and the actuator geometry might favor the TFX. For me that's not a big issue. My main thing for the D series is easy breathing in all orientations. Something the Atomic design is pretty good at, too. As far as dry breathing: it's a matter of how well and how quickly the exhaust valve seals, and the position of the exhaust valve in the case to scavenge water. I think both the Atomics and the D's (and the TFX?) are pretty good at this. A brisk exhale can help, too.
Outside of a larger exhaust valve and pathway I still don't see how the TFX is much superior to the D350/400. Perhaps if I live long enough to see the TFX seconds drop to affordable (for me) levels I'll change my mind. Prices dropped with the d420 pretty quickly.

Indeed, and a lot of used T3s were popping up at >50% new as well, so there is hope!

[snip]
But I think most of the people actively posting in this thread are hanging on to their unfashionable D400s, and are finally offered a replacement. I abandoned my D400s as I preferred the advantages of titanium (and parts availability) in my upgraded T1s, but the TFX leaves me no excuse except $$$...

[snip]Outside of a larger exhaust valve and pathway I still don't see how the TFX is much superior to the D350/400.[snip]

I love my unfashionable, but cult D400(s) still, but only 2 letters define the need.

I had a blast doing Blackbeard's last year and plan to go again as soon as practical - that is a week of no-rinse salt cycling. :eek:
@scrane if you'd only seen the D300 I opened up last week [shudder]. If I decide to get a kit and rebuild it, it would probably work fine, but a single poor or delayed rinse would start that erosion all over.

Somebody (who will currently remain blameless un-named :wink:) got me started down the great dusky Ti road paved with good intentions and empty wallets. And now I am finding my way to an all Ti travel set. The gateway Mk11Ts have been in place for a year and I started the snowball careening over the precipice when I pulled the trigger on June 6 (yea, not much of a wait if you look at the start date on this thread) for what I hope will net me a TFX 2nd stage. AND I just ordered two Ti2s 2nds for main tank secondary/octo and pony use.

Only silver lining that I can find is there isn't that much more to buy ... (yea, right! :rofl3: )

Anyone remember the Kink’s Dedicated Follower of Fashion?
[snip]
Kinks were always a favorite jam of mine ...

And I am typically about 180* out of phase with fashion. I started wearing light-hikers (Nike Lava Domes) as my daily wear in the early 80s when everybody was into running shoes. My primary vehicle is a 20 year-old rear wheel drive station wagon with a manual transmission. (4th vehicle of that description). I may be an enthusiast geek though ... :wink:

The gateway Mk11Ts have been in place for a year and I started the snowball careening over the precipice when I pulled the trigger on June 6 (yea, not much of a wait if you look at the start date on this thread) for what I hope will net me a TFX 2nd stage. AND I just ordered two Ti2s 2nds for main tank secondary/octo and pony use.

Are you saying that you plan to run TFX and Ti2 second stages on a ScubaPro Mk11T first stage?

1695678886418.png

Darn tootin!

Oh, as a heathen, I am all about the mixin and the blasphemin! :rofl3:

NOoooo!!! Those 2nd stages are designed only for a piston 1st stage. You can't mix them with a diaphragm 1st stage. They will explode. You will die!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom