The New Atomic TFX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"breathes noticeably better" and "lighter because it's all Ti" are 2 reasons that combined might be enough to get me off that much money.

I don't foresee AA or SP ever coming out with something that breathes better than a TFX AND is also significantly lighter. So, no, if I buy one I legit expect it would be the last single tank rig I ever buy (unless I buy a second one for a significant other who does not currently exist).

It will be very difficult to top this one any time soon for certain.

It will be very difficult to top this one any time soon for certain.
Agreed. The two guys that designed this also designed the D400 and probably have been dreaming this up since then. And I am sure there is nothing that they could not implement for concern it would increase the price.

I would not go as far as expecting it to blow other excellent regs out of the water, so no need to give up diving if one can only afford a G260... :wink: But I think the TFX will beathe really great (a subjective thing though) and the seat saver and titanium will make it keep the tune and be robust.

Agreed. The two guys that designed this also designed the D400 and probably have been dreaming this up since then. And I am sure there is nothing that they could not implement for concern it would increase the price.

I would not go as far as expecting it to blow other excellent regs out of the water, so no need to give up diving if one can only afford a G260... :wink: But I think the TFX will beathe really great (a subjective thing though) and the seat saver and titanium will make it keep the tune and be robust.

My thoughts exactly. They have most likely been thinking and working on it for a very long time, I bet since they left SP. They waited until the patent expired on the D400 I think.

Another (though perhaps admittedly silly) thing that delights me about the TFX is that when the D420 came out I emailed a fellow reg nerd that SP missed a design opportunity in not making the front round, like most regs are. The diaphragm below the cover is round, and form following function would suggest a round cover somehow. It's a silly subective thing, but a round front cover on a reg just looks more pleasing to most people. As Rob said, Atomic hit this one out of the park.

Let's wait until we assess exhalation effort before we go crazy. Case geometry-wise, that's still an open question...
Yeah, the exhaust tee wings will be good for bubble dispersion. But how is the flow around that sexy soft cover to get to them?
For 90% of rec diving, who cares?
For photos and bubble distraction, it may be a slight improvement.
For hard work at high gas density, I'll wait to see.

The big question is, how will it exhale if you're at high gas density (a deep dive in Nitrox in current)?
How a deep dive can be done in Nitrox?
I you dive at 50m or more, It will be air. Deep air, which Cmas, Bsac and other agencies still consider fully recreational, alongside with "light deco".
Such deep air dives are the real critical test case for a regulator, and this is what the Pilot or the following Air1 was designed for
Now there are folks that pooh-pooh lightly tuned regs, and like a stiffer action. I just happen to disagree. Really strongly. Try swimming back to your buoy line on the Vandenberg in current in Key West at 100ft. You'll drop your stiff breather like a hot potato, once you get back to the boat.
Well, perhaps I am one of those folks.
I like my 109s, modified to BA.
I actually tune them VERY light, with the knob fully out they hiss also outside water.
But with one or more turn on the knob they stop hissing.
I get this tuning not simply screwing in properly the orifice, but also bending the lever, if required.
This way I have still a very minimal gap between lever and diaphrgm.
I usually dive with the knob screwed in. I like to suck the air slowly and with some effort, keep a 5s inspiratory pause and exhaling slowly, with again some effort due to the small valve of the 109.
I learned to breath this way when I started diving, as at the time training was done, for months, using a single-hose pure oxygen rebreather.
This highly controlled respiratory cycle is a good way of preventing to loose control of breathing, as it happens under heavy load, swimming against current, etc.
But when needed, as in the case you cite, I can unscrew the knob and get effortless inspiration (perhaps with some air lost, if swimming against current and if I unscrew too much).
Still exhalation requires some effort. Which is not a bad thing, it keeps on average your lungs at positive pressure, preventing IPE and still forcing you to perform slow deep exhalation, which prevents CO2 accumulation and loss of breathing control.
I fully understand how divers who just "breath normally", following PADI recommendations, with shallow breathing and no inspiratory pause, can prefer (or, better, need) a light-breathing reg with small expiratory effort.
This is one of the typical cases where equipment is called to circumvent a skillness/training problem.
I am fully aware that the 6-months-long introductory diving course done using a CC rebreather is unacceptable nowadays, and that 99% of divers "just breath normally".
So these high performance regs are really useful for them, they can literally save their life.
I posted just for explaining the position of us old divers trained in another way, and why we prefer every day a 109 over a Pilot or its descendents...

I do not think we are so far apart.

Think upon what we both are saying.

Back
Top Bottom