The most dangerous thing about scuba is...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings SB members and I am guilty of all the following!
I am still married but only because of a full discloser agreement with my wife who is a diver but happy with single tank recreational gear.
Since moving into advanced diving; doubles, tech training, cave diving ALL disposable income and then some has been spent on diving, gear, and training.

I think the most dangerous thing about diving is the addictive nature of the experience.
Not only gear but the cost of going there and experiencing the incredible environments that are available today.
How I have survived is by explaining why I need the extra gear to manage the risk of more advanced dives.
Allowing my wife to see the needs to execute the dives and then commit to a plan of getting the appropriate gear and training.
There have been set backs but hey at least I am moving in the right direction to meet and achieve my personal dive goals.

Diving is dangerous but I agree the collateral things associated with it are equally so when left unchecked and not under some sort of control.
I am a gear addict and do not try to hide that fact but it is nice to have a sponsor for my wife!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

I'm frequently asked by students what's the most dangerous thing I've ever seen underwater.

My answer is typically "another diver" ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh no, that is not the most dangerous but it is the gateway drug, the dangerous part is your wife catching you with the catalog open and credit card in hand....or you don't make it home before she does. :)

This is why I do all my online gear purchasing and receiving at the office.

The trick is to sneak it into the house and gear bag when she's not home. Sometimes a new piece of gear has to ride around in the back of the Jeep for a few days before the coast is clear, so to speak.

Of course, the day of reckoning always comes when we go dive together. She'll look at my new [insert piece of gear here] and say, "When did you get that?" I always respond, "This old thing? I've had it a long time. Er, let's do a buddy check. Oh wow, your hose is disconnected! Wait, no it's not. Shew, that was close. Is that a dolphin in the water?" Etc etc.

At least I don't talk about it on my cell phone behind the wheel.

You obviously don't live somewhere where you are organizing dives after work . . . :)

I'm lucky that my husband and I BOTH dive, so there has been very little grumbling since the change from Cobra to SPG (which was truly a war).

I think the worst, most dangerous and inaccurate thing my OW instructors ever taught me was that "once you buy your gear, this sport is cheap". Of course, the "if" statement is never fulfilled . . .

inaccurate thing my OW instructors ever taught me was that "once you buy your gear, this sport is cheap". Of course, the "if" statement is never fulfilled . . .

WTF? yeah, the sport is cheap once you buy your gear only if you limit your diving to the community swimming pool!

Instabuddies :mad::mad:

Arrogance...

Getting in a situation where you will panic, especially underwater. I believe everyone, regardless of experience will eventually panic if they believe they will drown.

I rock climbed for many years, in the Club we had more accidents driving to & from the rock than we ever did on the hill. I suspect it is the same with diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom