The Mighty Lexy FEBRUARY 2006 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime:
Date: February 19, 2006
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): DiveVets group
Time: 9:21
Bottom Time: 1:14
Max Depth: 64'
Vis: 20'
Wave height: 0-1'
Temp at depth: 54F
Comments: As we neared the point we saw a large Gray whale swimming by just a couple hundred yards offshore. We had an uneventful entry, which is always nice. After swimming out as a group to the edge of the reef, we chose sides and dropped down. I found my first of close to a dozen Hopkin's Rose nudibranches on the first rock I saw. The vis was good and the surface was flat, so I made a very slow swim toward the cove. Along the way, I saw the usual critters including several octopus, nudis, a school of Sargo and even a Garibaldi. They are actually uncommon on the main reef. The sand was stirred up in the cove, so I stood up when I got to seven feet and easily walked out. We debriefed in the parking lot, which took 3 1/2 hours. It was such a nice day, nobody wanted to leave.

REALLY REALLY great photos, MaxBottomtime!!! Thank you for sharing them!

Jennifer

MaxBottomtime:
... BTW, the reef you were on has only about 10% of the life that the other one does. Next time you dive there, enter at the other point or make the long swim about 120 degrees from the cove. It's definately worth it.

Fantastic pictures Max! I'm jmdiver's usual buddy and I'm really sorry I missed out on this dive. We will have to try the other side as you suggest, but it looks like a long surface swim for me...the rocks over on that side looked rather dicey.

It's not as bad as it looks if the swells are down. Yesterday I was in a group of seven. We all entered off the point and nobody fell. I have been beat up there a few times in rough surf, but the long surface swim from the beach is definately worth the dive experience.

Date: 2/20/06
Dive Location: North Crescent Bay, Laguna
Buddy(ies): Brandon Guerin
Time: 12:39pm
Bottom Time: 80 min
Max Depth: 32 fsw
Vis: 15-20+ ft
Wave height: 1-2 ft
Surge: 1-2 ft
Temp at depth: 56 F
Surface Temp: N/A
Tide information: Mid, low going high
Gas mix: Air

Comments: Nearly a carbon copy of yesterday's dive. Had slightly less visibility and some very minimal surge. Brandon and I took a little more westerly heading today. Our track kept us over shallower reef (~23 fsw avg) where the vis was better. We had a fun exploring the cracks and holes in the reef. We saw tons of marine life, including a couple large octopi. We got some pretty good air fills this morning. The tanks were actually filled to their service pressure. So, we got a few more minutes of bottom today. It was another nice long and fun dive.

I have been traveling to Portland Oregon for the past 3 years to conduct instruction for the Army. So this month, I flew up a day early and drove up to Seattle WA to do some diving. The first thing that happens it I am on the plane in Los Angeles and here comes ScottFiji! He is going to hang with some friends. Small world. Scott, the diving was terrific, you should have gone diving.

Date: 16 Feb 2006
Dive Location: West Seattle WA, Alki Beach, Seacrest Cove #2
Buddy(ies): WADiverBob
Time: 8:04 p.m.
Bottom Time: 52:30
Max Depth: 87
Vis: 15 -20 feet
Tank: HP 100 Steel (first time, sweet)
Wave height: Ankle Slappers in Puget Sound
Temp at depth: 46F Sunnto Degrees
Surface Temp: 46F Sunnto Degrees (Weather station put it at 41F with 26 knt North wind) It was COLD with the lowest recorded temps in 10 years.
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Comments:

Met with Bob Lew to dive West Seattle Alki Seacrest Cove Number 2. http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/cove2.gif The dive plan was to go to 100 feet for 1 hour with a slow decent and accent up from that depth checking out the structures along the way. Objective was the Giant Pacific Octopus (GPO) and maybe even a 6 gill shark. Found the Honey Bear boat wreck and also under some overturned metal bins, GPO with suckers larger than a quarter. Estimated size at 5 feet. This was a beautiful dive with huge anemone. Just Great and one of the best dives in years. I saw many familiar species, but the size, huge.

Date: 17 Feb 2006
Dive Location: Edmunds, WA, Edmunds Underwater Park
Buddy(ies): WADiverBob
Time: 7:45 a.m.
Bottom Time: 54:40
Max Depth: 37
Vis: 15 -20 feet
Tank: AL 80
Wave height: Ankle Slappers in Puget Sound
Temp at depth: 46F Sunnto Degrees
Surface Temp: 45F Sunnto Degrees (Weather station put it at 25F with wind chill bringing the temperature down to zero (o) 26 knt North wind) It was with Ice on the drysuit before we could get them off.
Comment:
It was bitter cold when we arrived at the Edmunds Underwater Park. Air Temp was in the 20’s with wind chill bringing the temperature down to zero. Having worn my Dry suit undergarment to the site, we quickly suited up. Bob took me and showed me the map of the park. Ropes and chains laid on the ocean floor to form a grid pattern. Simple enough to navigate. The objective of today’s dive, fun. That we had in spades. We went to the Triumph (a former tug boat), Cupid, Mesmerized and Genius wrecks, Cathedral, boat yard and Enhancement (big industrial sized tires). Spotted ling cod (3-4 feet), Cabazon (also large -2 feet or so), stripped perch, sea lemon and Hooded Nudibranch.

See my seperate post on this dive for photos, particularly the hooded nudi

Hi Pasley,
What kind of tank setup do you dive with.

John

I normally dive with an AL80 3000 PSI max. On these dives the first dive at ALKI beach Seacrest Cove #2, my dive partner loaned me his HP100 at 3500 PSI. Due to an error on part of the dive shop my dry suit undergarments were XS instead of ML and the boots were size 6 not 9. So I used a different type of dry suit undergarment that was very thick, were talking 3/4 to 1 inch thick which made the dry suit a bit of a snug fit. Then the wetsuit boots and of course rented fins which were more buoyant than I am use to. The bottom line, I really had to fight to keep my feet down the entire dive (something I had no problem with in my dry suit certification dives). I figured the steel tank would offset the additional undergarment buoyancy. Add to that and the cold outside air and water made for poor air consumption with a SAC of 0.51.

The second dive was an AL80 . Again due to the above sited factors I was fighting the dry suit and feet issue. I had added 4 pounds weight but at 700 PSI the whole rig became a challenge to hold my depth. Add to that at the end of the dive the famous Puget Sound currents we had to fight to get back to the beach. SAC rate an atrocious 0.56. Both well above my normal 0.4

JMdiver:
Hi Riguerin,
What kind of tank setup do you dive with ?

John

Hi JMdiver,

I just recently got an XS SCUBA X7-100 made by Worthington Cylinders. It's a hot-dip galvanized HP 100cft steel tank with a Thermo PRO yoke/din valve (240bar). I was able to drop about 8lbs compared to an AL80. They're a pretty good deal at $265

Date: 02/22/06
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores/Vallecetos Street and south
Buddy(ies):Sean, Jen
Time: 7:05pm
Bottom Time: 53 minutes
Max Depth: 59ft
Vis: 10-15
Wave height: small, weak, maybe 2 ft
Temp at depth: 57F
Surface Temp: 57F
Tide information: Out and going out
Gas mix: Air

Image gallery is here: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/022106/

Comments:

Sean, Jen and I met up at the shores for a night dive. Geared up as the sun was setting and headed out into the small weak surf. Tide was out and we strolled for what seemed like most of the way to the drop point. After completing our final checks we descended into the darkness and joined up at the bottom in 31ft of water. All ok signs given and we started off for the canyon edge at a leisurely pace. We didn't go deep but there was tons of life to see. Tiny nudibranchs, tiny crabs, tiny scorpionfish, big big moon snails, big male hornsharks, fringeheads and more. Water above the thermocline was 57 by both my computers. I was toasty and poor Jen, diving wet, said it wasn't that cold for her either. Reaching our turn around pressure we headed back up the slope and across the sand. Minimal surge and moderate biolume in the shallows. COLD on in the parking lot but a quick change was all that was required to remedy that. Another nice night of diving. Thanks Sean for coming out and thanks to Jen for joining our board and our dive. See you at the next one.

Terry

LJS022106_1.jpg

LJS022106_9.jpg

LJS022106_10.jpg

LJS022106_13.jpg

LJS022106_17.jpg

LJS022106_18.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom