The Mighty Lexy FEBRUARY 2006 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made three dives this morning at my friend Marc's "secret" spots that only 3,000 other boaters know about. We still did well. We came back with 14 lobsters between us. I attempted to dive the Dominator wreck and get some pictures in the nice vis we had, but the ripping current kept me from getting too far from Marc's anchor. My friend Susan will eat well this week. :)
SV500007.JPG

We stopped at the fuel dock and watched all the people who came down to look at the Queen Mary II. I don't know which is larger, the ship or the throng of tourists here today.
SV500013.JPG

Date: 12/25/06
Dive Location: La Jolla Cove
Buddy(ies):
Time: 6:30 PM
Bottom Time: 56 m inutes
Max Depth: 22'
Vis: 20' +
Wave height: 1'
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Comments:

Beach report said 20' + vizability so I snuck in a sunset dive. I haven't dove La Jolla Cove for several years, and it was fabulous. Viz was at least as good as advertized, light surge, easy entry. Being a game preserve, there were so many lobster littering the bottom it looked like a convention, including one that was so big I almost spat my regulator out. It had to be pushing 8 lbs. Also saw an octopus, 2 horn sharks, 1 guitar fish, many garibaldi, calico bass and all the usual suspects. Even saw two good sized abalone. All in all, the prettiest dive I've had since last summer in Catalina. Even got a parking space within 100' of the stairs. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Date: 12/25/06
Dive Location: Refugio State Beach, 20 miles north of Santa Barbara
Buddy(ies):3rd dive-Sidwise (first two dives will be in a report by Irdcn3)
Time: 3:30 PM
Bottom Time: 41 min
Max Depth: 20'
Vis: 10'-12'
Wave height: 1'
Temp at depth: 57deg Cochran
Surface Temp:
Tide information: low tide
Gas mix: 21%
Comments:

A few of us met up with some divers from sbdivers.com. I did 3 dives total. This place is excellent! Jacek commented that the winter storms depleated most of the kelp beds. The reefs and ridges are still there, and they are awesome. We seen lingcod, bass, sargo, senoritas, crabs, a skate, differant variety of nudi's, and the colors, WoW! Right when we turned back, Sid seen an octo under a ledge, he tried to get my attention, but I was looking at other things, so I missed that. On the sand leading to the reefs, there was also alot of things to see, including crabs, sand dollars, various shell fish and a skate.

Over all I rate this dive in the top 3 that I have done in SoCal, not counting the Islands:D

If you are thinking about the drive up next Sat for the dive/picnic, it is well worth it. Hope to see everyone there!

(Irdcn3- your turn on the other two dives:wink: )

Date: February 26, 2006
Dive Location: Secret spot, Palos Verdes
Buddy(ies): Marc Bacon
Time: 8:22
Bottom Time: :40
Max Depth: 60'
Vis: 20'
Wave height: Nil, none, nada, zilch
Temp at depth: 50F
Surface Temp: 56F
Tide information: low
Gas mix: Air
Comments: After getting our limits of lobster yesterday Marc asked me to join him for more fun this morning. As I geared up, I realized I forgot my hood and gloves at home. I decided to try it anyway. I then forgot to check my neckseal. It must have been folded over, because my socks and underwear were soaked after the dive. Brrr. The ice cream headache kept my mind off my numb hands until I grabbed a lobster. I allowed him to pull back into his hole. When I reached in for a better grip I pulled back a bloddy nub. The lobster's spines and sharp edges of the rocks sliced my hand.
I sat out the next dive and took a shower, made hot chocolate and sat in the Sunlight watching a pod of dolphins cruise by. I plan to sit in front of the heater for awhile now. :)

Date: 26 Feb 06
Dive Location: Laguna Beach, Deadmans Reef
Buddy(ies): Bundy, also diving today were Sapphire, wetrat and others
Time: 9:23 a.m.
Bottom Time: 44.10
Max Depth: 61 fsw
Vis: 10-20 depending on where and how deep. Better in the shallow water. Green at the reef.
Wave height: Weren’t any. Occasional big wave of less than 1 foot. Most in the 5 inch or less category.
Temp at depth: 55F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 57F
Tide information: High: 07:29 a.m. 6.44 feet Low: 2:26 p.m. -1.51 feet
Comments:
Met up with John Bundy(Budny), John (Wetrat), Jennifer (Safirer), and Andy. Swam out on line with the red stairs (should have been the clif face and the flag pole. Dropped woen into 62 feet of water and had missed the reef. Swam to the north west and found a reef and followed that back in. Several Octopi out in the open. Bundy experienced his first fly by by a sea lion. Waves were under 1 foot. Water a tad green on the deep reef with better visibility in shallow. Saw lots of octopus.

Date: 26 Feb 06
Dive Location: Laguna Beach, Crescent Cove West side
Buddy(ies): Wetrat, Adam, also diving today were Sapphire, and Sid of NC
Time: 12:00 p.m.
Bottom Time: 57:50
Max Depth: 39 fsw
Vis: 10-20 depending on where and how deep. Better in the shallow water. Green at end of the reef.
Wave height: Weren’t any. Occasional big wave of less than 1 foot. Most in the 5 inch or less category.
Temp at depth: 55F Suunto degrees
Surface Temp: 59F
Tide information: High: 07:29 a.m. 6.44 feet Low: 2:26 p.m. -1.51 feet
Dropped down on top of an octopus out for a stroll. Sparp eyes of dive buddy found him. Spotted many others this dive. Vis wa not bad in 20 feet, but at 30 feet it was pretty green.

Robert Phillips being down sick was noted and his presence was missed. Feel Better Robert, we missed you.

Great report, Melvin. Thanks! On the first dive, Adam and Jennifer and I got dive bombed by a juvenile sea lion too! That was cool. Sid from North Carolina gets the studmuffin award for the day - pretty sure he has more dives than God and looks like a cave and wreck-diving Sean Connery!:god:

Two dives in great conditions today: we went out with Barbara, Merrianne and Jackie in the ScubaDo (Mike was attending a navel contemplation class and couldn't make it). We left the bay to find almost zero swell and just a tiny bit of chop but even that disappeared by the time we got to our destination. Jackie spent some time on the way out threatening to "anglicize" me: doesn't she know I was *born* in angle? Hey, ho, we got there eventually.

Dive 1 The Yukon
Depth 95 ft
Time: 37 mins
Temp: 54 according to my suunto; but what does it know?

Jackie and I got the chores out of the way by doing our surface interval first, and then went to take a look at the reportedly awesome vis. We were not disappointed; I measured 41ft of clear vis, which is by far the best I have ever seen on the yukon.

We skirted the bottom of the superstructure down by the sand, and made our way around the stern to take in the rudders and the single visible prop - there is more and more life every time. This time I even found hermissendas, which is a first for me on the yukon. Even better, back over on the other side, where we went so Jackie could retrieve some gear she had found, I came across two mantis shrimp in an area which looked as though it had been carpet bombed with weight pouches.

IMG_4632.jpg

Dive 2 The Ruby E.
Depth 77ft
Time: 32mins
Temp: My idiot suunto says 66 - I hope the deco algorithm bit works better than the thermometer!

Another great dive, I love the Ruby E and today it was absolutely crawling with hermissendas. The vis was just awesome but it was coooold!

IMG_4635.jpg

IMG_4644.jpg

A great day of diving in tremendous conditions - lets hope it lasts.

photos in the usual spot:

http://www.mcguinness-family.net/albums/diving/SanDiego//WreckAlleyFeb_06/

and I got lots of movies which I need to edit before posting them

cheers,
Peter

Date: 2/26/06
Dive Location: North Crescent Bay, Laguna
Buddy(ies): Brandon Guerin
Time: 12:06pm
Bottom Time: 84 min
Max Depth: 36 fsw
Vis: 10-20 ft
Wave height: 0-1 ft
Surge: 0-1 ft
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp: N/A
Tide information: Mid, going low
Gas mix: Air

Comments: Brandon and I hooked up with sapphire, wetrat, and other SB folks at N. Crescent today. We spent the first part of the dive with that group, poking around the crack in the shallow reef. After about 20 minutes, we split off and stayed on the shallower part of reef (23 fsw avg depth) where the vis was noticeably better. We encountered numerous octopi, lots of lobster, and a few horn sharks. Brandon pointed out one pretty good sized shark (approx 3 1/2 ft) tucked back in a small cave. We caught a couple lobster, which measured short. We had some awesome fills, so got plenty of bottom time. We came in because we were both starting to get chilled ... surfaced with about 800 psi. The conditions were really fun today. It was nice was meeting and diving with some more SB folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom