The Mighty Lexy FEBRUARY 2006 Dive Reports Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Date:
Dive Location:
Buddy(ies):
Time:
Bottom Time:
Max Depth:
Vis:
Wave height:
Temp at depth:
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Gas mix:
Comments:

Date: 2-1-06
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Laguna
Buddy(ies): Robert Phillips
Time: 8:30ish
Bottom Time: 55 minutes
Max Depth: 43 feet
Vis: 20-30
Wave height: 1-3
Temp at depth: 53
Surface Temp: N/A
Tide information:
Gas mix: Robert was use 32% I believe, and just air for me.
Comments
Rob and I meet up at about 8am. Introduced ourselves and started gearing up. While getting geared up we went over hand signals and each others equipment. Surf was minimal and vis was good. Swam out a little ways on the north side of the bay, dropped down to about 23-27 feet and swam towards Seal rock. We had a really nice relaxed dive, saw a few octopuses, female sheephead’s, and a couple nice size lobsters trying to hide.
Headed back once I hit 1500 PSI, took our time and enjoyed the scenery. Followed the sand to shore when we got to about 7 feet we ascended.
Overall it was a great way to start out the day.

Date: 2/3/06
Dive Location: Crescent Bay, Laguna
Buddy(ies): Glycerin
Time: 7:34am
Bottom Time: 53 min
Max Depth: 39 fsw
Vis: 20ft
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp: N/A
Tide information: Low, approx +1ft
Gas mix: 21%

Comments: Snuck in a nice dive before work today :D Met fellow SB member, Josh, around 7am at North Crescent. We introduced ourselves as we assessed conditions. Ocean conditions looked favorable; light wind, glassy surface, minimal surf (1-2ft). However, there was some patchy coastal fog north of Dana Point ... clear everywhere else. We suited up, did our pre-dive briefing/checks and headed down toward the north end of the cove.

We finned out to the drop area, descended in approx 20fsw, and took a SW heading out toward Seal Rock. The water clarity was good; however, because the foggy conditions, light penetration was hindered. Still, we had approx 15-20+ft of vis and minimal surge (1ft) at the beginning of the dive.

We enjoyed a nice relaxed outbound leg. Stopped and checked out a decent sized octopi along the way. Came across a good sized bug backed up in his hole. It was very reachable ... I was tempted :wink: Later in the dive, I was peering through an opening and noticed something big bugging out the back entrance. I looked up over the rock and caught a brief glimpse of a ~3+ft bass ... couldn't quite identify the species (silvery with some dark vertical coloration).

We made the turn when Josh hit approx 1500 psi. We pretty much stayed on an exact reciprocal track. We saw lots marine life; more bugs, tons of little kelp fish and gobies, schools of top smelt and opal eyes. We stopped to say goodbye to our octopi friend, but he wasn't home. We spent the final few minutes of the dive in the shallow sandy flats. We surfaced in about 8fsw. The surge had notably increased on the way in (2-3ft). There were also some occasion 3ft waves now breaking in the middle of the cove.

Overall, it was a really fun dive and a great way to start of the day. It was really a pleasure to meet and dive with Josh.

Josh was doing a 2nd dive with LAJim. So, say tuned for more fun and excitement :D

Date: 2/3/06
Dive Location: Cresent Bay, Laguna
Buddy(ies): Glycerin
Time: 9:30
Bottom Time: 42 min
Max Depth: 36
Vis: 10-20 depending
Temp at depth: 55 F
Surface Temp:
Tide information:
Comments: Met Glycerin after he finished his first dive and headed out north along the reef. Saw a different bug. Was visited by sealions but they weren't as playful as the Anacapa ones ususally are. Was still very foggy and surge was picking up some as the morning progressed. Turned at 1500 and followed bearing back to 7 feet of water.

Jim

Date: 02/04/2006
Dive Location: La Jolla Shores/ North Wall
Buddy(ies): Tyler, Sean and Max
Time: 08:57a
Bottom Time: 63 minutes
Max Depth: 83ft
Vis: 10-15
Wave height: 1-3ft, well spaced
Temp at depth: 53F
Surface Temp:57F
Tide information: 1.1 and increasing
Gas mix: Air
Comments:

Tyler, Sean, Max and I met at the main lot for a nice easy dive on the north wall. Visibility was a decent 10-15 and the water was a chilly 53. Lots of the usual suspects out and lots and lots of squid beds down deep.

Image gallery is here: http://www.scubapost.net/forums/Scorpionfish/020406/

LJS020406_2.jpg

LJS020406_4.jpg

LJS020406_8.jpg

LJS020406_12.jpg

LJS020406_16.jpg

LJS020406_17.jpg

Date: 2/4/05
Dive Location: Marineland
Buddy(ies): Stoddu & wth
Time: 9:15am
Bottom Time: 55:00
Max Depth: 41’
Vis: 10-15’
Wave height: 1-3’
Temp at depth: 54F
Surface Temp: 57F
Tide information: low, high…don’t know…only cared that I was getting wet :D

Comments: Met up with Stoddu (Steve) and wth (Andy). I was going to meet up with Rickster but he was sick (hope you get better). After hearing that Rickster was not coming we geared up and headed in. The rocks have really moved around since I last dove this site. The viz was bad in the shallows, but once we made it to the reef structure it started to pick up. I would say about 10-15’. We started to explore the reef structure and I immediately noticed some of the biggest sea lemons that I have ever seen. I must have counted at least 15-20 throughout the dive. I also saw a few other nudibranchs, but do not know their names, besides the Spanish shawl. Towards the latter part of the dive I saw the biggest sea lemon I have ever seen. It was at 4-5” long (don’t know if others have seen them so big, or if I just spotted a freak of nature). Five different nudis on one dive (very cool). Of course, this is one of those dives I decided not to take my camera. Looking around the cracks and crevices, I spotted a few octopi hiding out. Then I spotted a big halibut (2.5-3’ long) eyeing us and hoping we would not disturb him. We watched him for a little bit then continued with the dive. Stoddu had the functioning light, so he was able to spot a few bugs. Most were undersized, but at least one would have made a nice dinner for someone. As we were heading back to shore, stoddu spotted a small octo in the open. We watched him for a while then he took off free swimming. We went after him and he swam some more. It was very cool to see the octo swimming (my first time seeing this on a dive). I really enjoy diving here as I seem to see new things every dive.

Thanks to stoddu and wth for a very nice, cold dive.

:14:
Date: 2-4-06
Dive Location: Old Marineland
Buddy(ies):Robert
Time: 9:10AM
Bottom Time: 39min.
Max Depth: 31 ft.
Vis: 10-15 ft.
Wave height: 1-3 ft.
Temp at depth: 53 deg.
Surface Temp:Warm
Tide information: Low to start
Comments: We swam out to the left just pass the pt. we dropped down & headed on a 60 deg. heading & found the reef. Then turned right & followed the reef. This was the first time we dove this site & it was awesome. We saw 5 to 6 Octopi, a cabezon, a few lobsters in hard to get spots, a couple of different types of nudibranchs & a bunch of scallops. I was looking for Rickster & other members of Scubaboard but noone was fessing up to it. I was in the black truck up front.

Happy Diving
John

Date: 2-4-06
Dive Location: Old Marineland
Buddy(ies): Robert & Victor
Time: 11:25 AM
Bottom Time: 31 min.
Max Depth:39ft
Vis: 5-8ft
Wave height: 1-3ft
Temp at depth: 53 deg.
Surface Temp:Warm
Tide information: coming in
Comments: Victor was a sray diver so he joined us for our 2nd dive. The vis. dropped to around half of the first dive. Seen much of the same but not as much. We seen a creature I think is a nudibranch but not sure, it looked like a piece of ribbon. If anyone knows what this is please tell me. My dive buddy who usaually brings his camera but because it was a new dive spot for us he didn't. All in all great dives & great site.

Happy Diving
John

Date: February 4, 2006
Dive Location: Eagle Reef, Seafan Grotto and Isthmus Reef
Buddy(ies): Hilary A. and Mike Madden
Time: 1:04, 3:24 and 5:03
Bottom Time: 1:17, :37 and :29
Max Depth: 75', 63' and 121'
Vis: 25-40'
Wave height: None
Temp at depth: 57F
Comments: So much for the earlier post about the 10 to 10 trip on the Pacific Star being for hardcore bughunters and going to good spots, not marginal sites. We ended up at the same boring reefs all the boats take OW students to. I never even saw a legal size bug, while Mike and Hilary didn't even see a short. I even was admonished for living up to my moniker on the first dive. Capt. Dave informed me that no dive boats allow dives of over an hour. :(
Oh well, I still have Marineland.
SV500003.JPG

SV500014.JPG

SV500001.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom