The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn'y use one to clean the bottom of a pool. Well...unless it was the rag.

Maybe the divers who use them like them but I don't believe that anyone who would use it would know good from bad. In fact, I would put money on that. As far as professional reviews like what? Rodales, Proffesional advertisers, maybe but pro divers...that will be the day!

The dive industry need to forget happy horse cocky like this and concentrate on learning to not muck up the vis!

Mike,

I think you have hit on something. The industry markets these contraptions to people who are either new divers, or do one dive trip every two years. Either way, they are not going to know enough to understand what type of equipment should be used.

Metridium that was just too funny!!!!!

cptcrush i can see why the Hub appeals to you as it did to me(i admit it and still getting counselling) when i first entered into this scuba sport ,in idea and concept it does seem to be an ideal package but as you progress and gain experience from diving ,meeting other divers,talking to people on this board you begin to realise and understand the vital flaws with in this system which could put your life in danger.(ask yourself why every one is selling them cheap or do not stock them).I hope you avoid this bc and then one day after many dives look back and understand the reason why ,because you will ,you have taken the first steps by talking to the good (if not sometimes sarcastic)and experiencsd people of this excellent board.Here is alink from an english guys website who has a whole page of his thoughts on the HUB ,but also browse his web site as he has some good tips for a newcomer .

HUB REVIEW

But on the plus side it is made by Mares which is italian designed and it would match my..
mares semi-dry
mares trunks
mares suit cover
mares flip flops(sandels)

...Got them free with wet suit at dive show but i turned down the bathrobe as i would be laughed of the boat wearing it at the SI.

Regards,

MAL..

That's what I think. And since these folks are trimmed head up, foot down and kicking like crazy just to avoid disapearing into the abyss and have leg cramps all the time they are prime candidates for a $175 pair of fins that are broken in the middle to ease the leg stress.

In my, not aleays so humble, opinion, the new diver would be wise to keep it simple when it comes to equipment. I would suggest concentrating on developing technique. Wether you chose a jacket bc, back inflation bc or, what many of us recomend, a bp/wing keep it basic. I would advise the same approach with other pieces of equipment like fins. Avoid gimics that offer solutions to problems that you won't have once you develope your technique. Then, I think you'll find that equipment choices will be easy because you will know what works and what you want without relying on "proffesional (ha) reviews".

cptcrush,

I've got a real world test for you, but controlled so that you won't die. If you survive this, let us all know how it felt.

Go into your local LDS and suit yourself up in a HUB. Turn the air on. Put your mask on. Put the reg in your mouth and start to breath. Now exhale and take the reg out of your mouth (your buddy just went OOA and grabbed it from you). Hold your breath (actually, hold no breath) and don't breath in (you're underwater, remember). Now go get your "octo". No cheating. Still holding? Find the zipper yet? Was it the right pocket that it was stored in. Did the zipper get stuck? No? Okay, good. Now unravel the cord and remove the velcro strap holding the cord together. How ya feeling with no air? Okay, you've got the velcro thingy off, now does your reg work? No? What happened? I got it, it was too much work to take it out and test it while diving, and then restowing it. Freeflowing maybe?

Anyway, I hope you get my point. The genius that thought of this contraption worked for their marketing depatment and wasnt anyone using their brains. Probably not a diver.

As much as I don't like jacket BC's, you'd be 1000 times farther ahead owning a basic one without gimmicks like this. In this case, gimmicks can harm you, your buddy, or both.

Dive safe,

Jack

Ian Wigg once bubbled...

Interesting statement - very interested you hear your reasoning.

Ian

There are many reasons why this thing is a deathtrap and just a horrible BC in general. Here are just a few:

1. Look at all the plastic buckles and quick connections. - All failure points

2. Not streamlined at all. Look how wide and bulky the rig is.

3. The reg is integrated into the BC, and actually routs under and into the BC itself to another connection point...sort of like an outlet - Horrible idea. More failure points and very difficult to take out for replacement, etc. In the review posted above, its states that one hose feeds both regs...not smart at all. If that hose goes bad, both regs are dead instead of just one. What were they thinking.

4. The backup reg is stuffed into a pocket. - You might as well not have a backup at all.

5. The SPG is also stuffed into a pocket. - Not a good place.

6. Look at the "inflator". - It will not be as effective. Plus, try to replace that mechanism on a boat when it fails. It a regular inflator ever fails, I can easily replace it in 5 - 10 minutes.

7. Look how expensive it is. It's much easier and cheaper to get a quality BC.

8. Comes with an inflatable camband. - Another failure point.

There are a ton of other reasons why this thing is just insane. Save your money and buy a real BC. These things are VERY dangerous and shows how irresposible companies will become to sell more junk gear. I would personally never use one or allow anyone I cared about to buy one.

ElectricZombie once bubbled...

Hi,

I'd like to comment on your points if I may.

There are many reasons why this thing is a deathtrap and just a horrible BC in general. Here are just a few:

1. Look at all the plastic buckles and quick connections. - All failure points

Most BCDs have plastic quick releases - they are no more of a potential failure point than metal ones.

2. Not streamlined at all. Look how wide and bulky the rig is.

No worse (actually better) than other jackets.

3. The reg is integrated into the BC, and actually routs under and into the BC itself to another connection point...sort of like an outlet - Horrible idea. More failure points and very difficult to take out for replacement, etc. In the review posted above, its states that one hose feeds both regs...not smart at all. If that hose goes bad, both regs are dead instead of just one. What were they thinking.

Single tank, 1st stage with both main dv and octo on it (normal recreational setup) - hose fails - no air on either very rapidly. No better or worse.

4. The backup reg is stuffed into a pocket. - You might as well not have a backup at all.

I agree with you on this one totally.

5. The SPG is also stuffed into a pocket. - Not a good place.

Only when you're not using it (i.e. out of the water) but I will concede it's not the best design.

6. Look at the "inflator". - It will not be as effective. Plus, try to replace that mechanism on a boat when it fails. It a regular inflator ever fails, I can easily replace it in 5 - 10 minutes.

Actually the inflator is on a quick release and can be replaced in under a minute (assuming you have a spare!)

7. Look how expensive it is. It's much easier and cheaper to get a quality BC.

Both the Mares Dragonfly and the fitted regs are top quality items - but I agree it is overpriced.

Only the avantgarde has this - I agree totally with you on this point. It must rate as one of the most pointless gadgets of all time.

There are a ton of other reasons why this thing is just insane. Save your money and buy a real BC. These things are VERY dangerous and shows how irresposible companies will become to sell more junk gear.

Can you quantify this ?

I would personally never use one or allow anyone I cared about to buy one.

Ian

Reminded me of a blood pressure cuff...really shows how lazy people can be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom