The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

I know...A hub with an integrated closed circuit rebreather! And...maybe attached fins...A built in scooter?...
What if it has an integrated tank that refills itself (compressed air only of course) on your SI?

Now, I think we've got something!

O-ring once bubbled...
All the complexities and none of the advantages...I would get a rebreather before I would get one of these things.

You mean that there is a Halcyon manufactured DIR product which isn't safe?

You mean that there is a Halcyon manufactured DIR product which isn't safe?
If you are talking about Halcyon's RB80, I don't think it is unsafe...just a lot of unnecessary task loading and potential failure points that are not justified unless the dive plan cannot be carried out on open circuit. I don't see myself ever diving a rebreather...not worth the expense and increased risk (IMHO) when I can safely accomplish all my dives with a set of doubles and/or stage(s).

O-ring once bubbled...

If you are talking about Halcyon's RB80, I don't think it is unsafe...just a lot of unnecessary task loading and potential failure points that are not justified unless the dive plan cannot be carried out on open circuit. I don't see myself ever diving a rebreather...not worth the expense and increased risk (IMHO) when I can safely accomplish all my dives with a set of doubles and/or stage(s).

So 'Potential Failure points' on a Halcyon product don't make it unsafe but they do on any other manufacturer's products (e.g the HUB)

Ian

Ian Wigg wrote...

So 'Potential Failure points' on a Halcyon product don't make it unsafe but they do on any other manufacturer's products (e.g the HUB)
That's a novel conclusion. May I ask how you reached it?

Failure points on a rebreather are necessary in order for a rebreather to function. By design, a rebreather is a much more complicated piece of equipment than open circuit. My point, that got lost somewhere, was that there is no need to include that many failure points and convoluted nonsense in an open circuit setup...why add the risk to an otherwise simple machine. If you are going to add all that crap, why not get a rebreather and at least get the advantages too..

This ill-designed piece of 'dive equipment' is simply a marketing effort to give the masses something NEW to buy.

As many have pointed out, it grossly violates the KISS principle and conveys no advantages to the wearer.

It does serve one purpose, tho...helps identify those divers you wouldn't want to buddy with...

Inflatable camband....stop it, you're cracking me up...

Hi folks,

This is my first post on the board, so don't slaughter me. I have been thinking about purchasing a Mares (Dacor) HUB integrated bcd and regulator system. I do not own a BCD or regulator currently. I have over 60 dives under my belt and the majority of those were in the caribbean. I do dive here in Newfoundland, but only when the water warms up to wetsuit conditions (I consider this to be when the water has no surface ice present).

Would this be a good purchase or should I go with a more traditional purchase?

Thanks for the help.:confused:

It is generally not highly thought of by people on this board.

If you go to the 'Buoyancy Compensators' section and use the search (at the bottom of the page) and search fro 'hub' you will find a lot of references.

Personally, I prefer something a bit simpler and I don't like the idea of putting the octo in a pocket.

Back
Top Bottom