The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
However there is no way known you would take this BCD anywhere near Technical Diving.

6: everyone on the boat will laugh at you ( No forget that, they won't let you on the boat) :(

LOL. Wish I would have thought of that :D
Exactly true though.

Phil

cptcrush once bubbled...
Several mentioned that HUB is not good for technical diving. Can you or someone give detail on that.
First of all, what do you consider technical diving? Sydney_Diver has already made a number of points that demonstrate why the HUB is not a technical BC.

Thanks for good info.

1. Not technical bc-> Can you explain this. (only ask because I don't know)
2. Can't you use an adapter to mount 2 tanks?
3. Failure points. How so?
4. You right it only has 35lbs of lift.
5. I am not sure how deco tanks usually secured. Perhaps there is a way to rig something.
6. Laughing part.. Hmmm... Doesn't qualify as valid point.

On the other hand with absolutely nothing hanging from it and nothing around fist stage, wouldn't this be better for wreck or cave diving, since you decrease your entanglement chances.
Just asking

The Hub is a good concept that works well for Recreational Diving, I have dived one a few times and found it rather pleasent.

However there is no way known you would take this BCD anywhere near Technical Diving.
1: it is not a technical BCD
2: Only takes ONE tank
3: to many failure points
4: not enough lift
5: nowhere to secure Deco and Stage tanks
6: everyone one the boat will laugh at you ( No forget that they want let you on the boat) :(

cptcrush once bubbled...
Several mentioned that HUB is not good for technical diving. Can you or someone give detail on that.

Thanks

Price has nothing to do with it. Hell, my doubles alone cost almost as much as that thing!

As I said above, there is nothing on this system that is even close to being acceptable for technical diving. You need to find out what tech diving consists of, what equipment is required to do that, and then you can evaluate this thing yourself.

I would suggest you explore www.gue.com to see what "tech" equipment looks like, and why it is what it is. Then go to www.iantd.com and look over the equipment specs and student tasks for some of the technical classes.

Phil

Don't let these guys kid you about using this BC for tech diving. In fact, George and Jarrod use theirs all the time.

When totalling up the costs, keep in mind that you'll need other equipment to complete the ensemble...you know, things like:

- a nitrox snorkel

- travel weights (just fill'em up with water once you arrive!)

- farce fins

- and maybe a spare-air, too.

Can't forget those!

Oh, and be sure everything is color-coordinated. Very important!

metridium once bubbled...
In fact, George and Jarrod use theirs all the time.

Yea, and they have their own boat too! :bounce: :D :D

This has got to be a troll....................

No reason to get upset, Phil. I am not trying to piss anyone off here. But boards has always been good source for information. And thank for posting those links. But if I haven't asked I wouldn't get this info.

Alex

MechDiver once bubbled...

Price has nothing to do with it. Hell, my doubles alone cost almost as much as that thing!

As I said above, there is nothing on this system that is even close to being acceptable for technical diving. You need to find out what tech diving consists of, what equipment is required to do that, and then you can evaluate this thing yourself.

I would suggest you explore www.gue.com to see what "tech" equipment looks like, and why it is what it is. Then go to www.iantd.com and look over the equipment specs and student tasks for some of the technical classes.

Phil

OK last post on this one for me
at 35Lbs of lift there is now way the hub is going to get you off the bottom without using a drysuit as well. first faliure point

For Tech Diving you will be carrying a minimum of 3 tanks, two on your back and one slung , the HUB has no DRings to Sling tanks from.

Faliure points include the power Inflator for your BCD, if it dies you are not going to be coming up from the dive.
The Plastic Backplate can crack and your tanks fall off your back
The Plastic Shoulder buckels break and your rig falling off.
The Hub does not have the holes to attach bands to carry two tanks.

You do not want to be doing Technical and Deco diving with a HUB , it was not made for it !!
It is a grat recreational BCD but if you want to tech dive forget it !!

Chris

cptcrush once bubbled...
Thanks for good info.

1. Not technical bc-> Can you explain this. (only ask because I don't know)
2. Can't you use an adapter to mount 2 tanks?
3. Failure points. How so?
4. You right it only has 35lbs of lift.
5. I am not sure how deco tanks usually secured. Perhaps there is a way to rig something.
6. Laughing part.. Hmmm... Doesn't qualify as valid point.

On the other hand with absolutely nothing hanging from it and nothing around fist stage, wouldn't this be better for wreck or cave diving, since you decrease your entanglement chances.
Just asking

To use a hub for technical diving would be like to use an old vw Beetle in the Wrc, the only difference is with the hub you will probably get hurt :jester:

Chris are you saying that you can't use hub unless wearing a dry suite????? I find that hard to believe.

Power inflator failure... so you use oral inflator. isn't that true. you do the same with regular bc if its not inflating.

Ok tech diving again. I see that you may need to carry a whole bunch of stuff with you and its not for that, ok. But it has rings.
• Stainless steel rings Two 40 mm rings on the shoulder straps. Two 40 mm rings on the BC body.
I am not sure if that is good.

As far as plastic buckles and backplates. Doesn't most bcd have those?
No hole for adaper, that I didn't know. So that's why I ask.

I think its nice that its weakness is revealed. So unless you need to carry 2 tanks its seems pretty good.

Alex

Thanks Chris

OK last post on this one for me
at 35Lbs of lift there is now way the hub is going to get you off the bottom without using a drysuit as well. first faliure point

For Tech Diving you will be carrying a minimum of 3 tanks, two on your back and one slung , the HUB has no DRings to Sling tanks from.

Faliure points include the power Inflator for your BCD, if it dies you are not going to be coming up from the dive.
The Plastic Backplate can crack and your tanks fall off your back
The Plastic Shoulder buckels break and your rig falling off.
The Hub does not have the holes to attach bands to carry two tanks.

Trust me Phil you do not want to be doing Technical and Deco diving with a HUB , it was not made for it !!
It is a grat recreational BCD but if you want to tech dive forget it !!

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom