The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK once bubbled...

And just how would you add the backup regulator and what would you do about hose routing if you were to use twins on this abomination?

I have a question for the two of you who use these things. How do you do a predive bubble check to make sure the reg and hoses have no leaks in them? I can understand the reg, but how do you check for pinhole leaks in the hoses?

Fair point re twins - but don't forget that a lot of people dive with a single 1st stage on the manifold feeding second stage and octo. I'm not talking about tech diving here rather the ability to use say twin 10's rather than a single 15. As you will see from previously I have said that the HUB is definately NOT worth considering if you intend to progress to tech diving. That's not because you can't fit twins but because it's not designed for that.

Re the bubble check - reg, suit and gauge hoses can be checked exactly as 'normal' setup. If the 'internal' hoses have pinhole leaks the bubbles will show. Remember the hoses are merely routed behind the backplate not sealed inside the unit.

As to it being an 'abomination' Let me guess, if Halcyon manufactured it you'd be demanding that we all use it.

Ian

Thanks for your answer. When I looked at these in the LDS, this was my biggest concern. Being that the hoses are internal, it is possible for you to have a leak, and it be hidden from you until you are further into the dive. The air can be trapped inside before it leaks out.

Ian Wigg once bubbled...

As to it being an 'abomination' Let me guess, if Halcyon manufactured it you'd be demanding that we all use it.

Nothing could be further from the truth. You see, I have never demanded anyone use anything made by any company. If Halcyon made this, I still would not buy it. I do not like it. Also, I do not simply use only Halcyon gear. In fact, I only have wings made by Halcyon. All of my other gear is Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, Beuchat, Dacor, Sea Elite, etc etc. This is not about a companys products, and who makes what. I have no problem with Dacor or Mares, I just do not like this "system" they have decided to produce. If you like it, that is great. Dive it until the day you die. (**note that remark is not intended to say you will die using this gear**) I hope you enjoy it. You see, like you, I am simply giving my opinion on a piece of gear. That is still allowed here isn't it?

No offense taken. If I took your remark the wrong way, I apologize. Hopefully you did not take my reply as an offensive remark. Even if you did try to offend me, I understand, afterall I did call your gear an "Abomination". :D

I have looked at various threads on this subject already, but I am not sure exactly why you woulnd't or can't use this setup for technical diving.
Does anyone care to give a summary on this subject only.
Thanks

If your looking for a review of the HUB, I can provide a partial review. I dont myself own a HUB (AKA Human Underwater Breathing), but my buddy just bought one. He says it makes him feel very streamlined in the water, and seemed to be veryhappy with it. Good BC, good regs (if so equipped) and easy to assemble/disassemble. However, in my opinion not worth the price tag. Hope that helped.

cptcrush once bubbled...
I have looked at various threads on this subject already, but I am not sure exactly why you woulnd't or can't use this setup for technical diving.
Does anyone care to give a summary on this subject only.
Thanks

For tech diving???? You have GOT to be kidding! This thing isn't even safe for rec diving let alone anything else. I would strongly suggest you find out what "tech" diving consists of, and then re-evaluate your question. Not to put you off or make light of your question, but I'm not going to go point by point on this topic cuz I can't type that long.

Phil

The Hub is a good concept that works well for Recreational Diving, I have dived one a few times and found it rather pleasent.

However there is no way known you would take this BCD anywhere near Technical Diving.
1: it is not a technical BCD
2: Only takes ONE tank
3: to many failure points
4: not enough lift
5: nowhere to secure Deco and Stage tanks
6: everyone one the boat will laugh at you ( No forget that they want let you on the boat) :(

I have seen several reviews already with most non-owners bashing this thing. I like reading negative reviews, beacuse it really shows the flaws of the product. However there were none of the owners of this thing with anything seriously negative. Professional reviews all looked good. (Could be marketing, perhaps) In person it looks awesome. Most local shops praise the product.(even the ones that don't carry it) Also in my experience from other fields(motorcycle and car racing). I have seen this before. People are not willing to accept new things eagerly. (especially if they are expensive) Admit we are men and have to prove that we got is the best. That is the vibe I got from most negative comments on the HUB. Just like with anything else if you look hard enough you are going to find problems (at least hypothetically) Most people bashed this thing on price and the fact that you have to service the whole thing if anything goes wrong with it. Well with price its not that bad I think, unless you pay full pop retail. Otherwise you can have it for around $800-900. Which is not that bad coz it includes quality first and second stage with it. Not to mention a pneumatic valves( which I can't say nothing about coz I haven't tried it) And the only reviews of that were great by people that have used it. Tank air lock... hmmm. Can live without, but it doesn't hurt. So overall I think it can justify $800-900 price. As far as servicing that is the only realistic point that I could see. But do we know people who had major problems with this thing. I would like to have some faith in the manufacturer.

Several mentioned that HUB is not good for technical diving. Can you or someone give detail on that.

Thanks

SSIdiver02 once bubbled...
If your looking for a review of the HUB, I can provide a partial review. I dont myself own a HUB (AKA Human Underwater Breathing), but my buddy just bought one. He says it makes him feel very streamlined in the water, and seemed to be veryhappy with it. Good BC, good regs (if so equipped) and easy to assemble/disassemble. However, in my opinion not worth the price tag. Hope that helped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom