The Mares & Dacor HUB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex
Man give it up the HUB is not for technical diving

The HUB does have an oral BCD Inflator, try finding it in an emergency, stuffed into its little pocket when you are sinking at 100Ft a minute. When tech diving you must have a redundent air source for assent IE A DrySuit and a BCD

Alex The D Rings are in totally the wrong places to configure sling tanks, and are really there to clip your torch and slate onto.

Technical Rigs use stainless steel buckles or no buckles at all for the shoulder straps and securing tanks.

And as I said the main issues are
No holes to secure tank bands to so you can only ever use the HUB with a single tank
Not enough lift to bring to to the surface so you are going to drown anyway.
And No one is going to let you on their boat when said boat is going to do a tech dive.

And Finally I doubt you will find an instructor that will certify you tech if you are carrying round a HUB.

cptcrush once bubbled...
Chris are you saying that you can't use hub unless wearing a dry suite????? I find that hard to believe.

Power inflator failure... so you use oral inflator. isn't that true. you do the same with regular bc if its not inflating.

Ok tech diving again. I see that you may need to carry a whole bunch of stuff with you and its not for that, ok. But it has rings.
• Stainless steel rings Two 40 mm rings on the shoulder straps. Two 40 mm rings on the BC body.
I am not sure if that is good.

As far as plastic buckles and backplates. Doesn't most bcd have those?
No hole for adaper, that I didn't know. So that's why I ask.

I think its nice that its weakness is revealed. So unless you need to carry 2 tanks its seems pretty good.

Alex

Thanks Chris

Sydney_Diver wrote...
And Finally I doubt you will find an instructor that will certify you tech if you are carrying round a HUB.
Not even Gilliam?
:confused:

:D

Alex... there are only so many ways to polish a turd. No matter how hard you try to shine this one... it is what it is.

Understood. Thanks.

Sydney_Diver once bubbled...
Alex
Man give it up the HUB is not for technical diving

The HUB does have an oral BCD Inflator, try finding it in an emergency, stuffed into its little pocket when you are sinking at 100Ft a minute. When tech diving you must have a redundent air source for assent IE A DrySuit and a BCD

cptcrush once bubbled...
I think its nice that its weakness is revealed. So unless you need to carry 2 tanks its seems pretty good.

Alex

Thanks Chris

Absolutely not. The attached image should explain itself, but..

Look at all those hidden intermediate hoses and connections. This BC/reg setup more than doubles the number of O-rings that could possibly blow, even in the HP portion. This alone, IMO, is what makes this system horribly inferior to cheaper, better BC/reg systems.

The octopus is STUFFED INTO A ZIPPERED POCKET.

There are also problems with it being a standard jacket-style BC, but that's another thread. Search for BP/Wing or back inflate BC discussions for opinions on this. Keep it simple and streamlined.. the HUB is the antithesis of this.

And as for it not being possible to use it for technical diving.. if nothing else, diving doubles requires two tanks, two first stages, and a manifold between them. The HUB is based around the idea of a single first stage. If you remove the integrated reg setup, then you have a typical jacket BC, which also isn't suited to tech diving. I'm not a tech diver, but this BC doesn't give the necessary support of a metal backplate, no way to securely attach doubles, no place to mount things like deco bottles or canister lights, etc.

What advantages does the HUB really give? What problems does it solve?

Is it really worth it?

http://www.ab-d.be/mares/hubb.jpg

The HUB is a deathtrap. I can't beleive that someone would actually buy one.

Hey, it's got a really nice handle on it! I'd buy it for that.

If your definition of Technical diving is leaving your AL80 at home, and forgoing the weekend of 85 degree water, 45 foot reefs, and 200+vis for a weekend of diving with a steel HP100 in 75 degreee water and 50 feet of vis and a 50foot deep sunken bus in your local quarry, then yeah the HUB is GREAT for technical diving! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom