The magic of OLED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are correct, I do not have the "+" stock bifocal masks on our site yet. We are working on it, PM me what you are looking for and I can show you an option. Hopefully we have some up soon!

Oh, I would imagine I'll eventually put bifocals in this mask, too -- I wasn't trying to say that I didn't need bifocals any more, I was just utterly delighted with the fact that I didn't need them to read my computer. (The compass is a bit more of a challenge -- I can do it in daylight, but I'd expect trouble at night.) Luckily, my vision issue is purely age-related presbyopia, so I can really enjoy the underwater world around me quite well without the bifocals.

I like AI so I went with the Galileo Sol which uses the older LCD matrix technology. I found if I set the computer to "light" display so there is less data but much larger digits, and set the backlight to push ON/OFF I also do fine at night even without looking through the bifocal part of the lens.

With the backlight on throughout the dive, the numbers show fine as long as it's dark enough, and after 6 months I still have a full battery gauge even with the backlight on throughout the night dives.

I'm forever tinkering with my gear and always trying to make it as perfect for me as possible. I've pretty much got the gear I wanted the way I like it. However last year I spent a 5 weeks diving around Indonesia and did quite a lot of night diving, usually walls. I wear my computer on my right wrist I also carry my light in my right hand. To see my comp I had to either switch the light from right to left hand or turn the computer back light on or shine my light on the comp which I found less than ideal, not a major issue but from that point decided I wanted an OLED computer as this would instantly solve the issue, just look at the screen, no pushing buttons, no shining a light on it, perfect. So cut a long story short "yeah" for OLED. Now just need to find the money for a Lynx.

Off-topic - Prescription Masks (Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.) will glue in readers for ~$115, and they really stand behind their work!

Another shout out for PDM. I've been wearing bifocals since my mid-30s--longer ago than I care to think about--and send my new mask to PDM every time my prescription changes. It makes for an expensive piece of dive gear but well worth it.

And I've been using Atomic's Cobalt computer with an OLED screen ever since it was released. Easy to operate, easy to read. So much better than my old Suunto Cobra with its small dark gray numbers on a light grey screen. Great piece of gear.

I'm forever tinkering with my gear and always trying to make it as perfect for me as possible. I've pretty much got the gear I wanted the way I like it. However last year I spent a 5 weeks diving around Indonesia and did quite a lot of night diving, usually walls. I wear my computer on my right wrist I also carry my light in my right hand. To see my comp I had to either switch the light from right to left hand or turn the computer back light on or shine my light on the comp which I found less than ideal, not a major issue but from that point decided I wanted an OLED computer as this would instantly solve the issue, just look at the screen, no pushing buttons, no shining a light on it, perfect. So cut a long story short "yeah" for OLED. Now just need to find the money for a Lynx.

I'm the same way in that I'm always tinkering. I don't think the Lynx is available yet. One solution to the light problem is to put a small light on a Goodman handle on the left wrist. I use the XTAR D01 light in an Oxycheq Light Sock. The XTAR light is a twisty switch, but it also has a variable light slide that can shut down the light or turn it down. Very handy for reading gauges.

I don't think the Lynx is out, but the non air-integrated Axiom is. I haven't seen one yet.

Back
Top Bottom