The hunt is on for missing diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The four were diving in the area of Pasco Reef 2, about 14 miles off the coast of New Port Richey.
The divers were at a popular diving spot where two sunken military tanks sit near a reef. The water is about 15 feet deep.
That is very shallow even for some one with only 2 dives. It seems hard to believe that she did not make it to the surface from this depth.
Are the currents strong in this area?

I am hoping with Frog, she came to the surface and is down current.

I have been out there many times (fishing mainly) and most of the time the currents are not very strong in the area.... it really depends on the tide.

Has anyone heard any updates? I was one of her college roommates and obviously am anxious to hear anything.

There is this:
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?s=search&storyid=35183

and this is all I can find yet.... I sure hope they find her but it doesn't sound good at all, my heart goes out to her friends and family.

NEW PORT RICHEY - There were no signs of scuba diver Ashley Mauldin on Tuesday as Pasco County Sheriff's Office and Coast Guard officials searched by air and sea.

Mauldin, 28, was reported missing at 3 p.m. Monday after being separated from her group about 14 miles off the Pasco coast.

Mauldin manages Belmont Heights Estates in east Tampa, a complex that offers market-rate and public housing. At a meeting Tuesday of east Tampa's revitalization group, redevelopment manager Ed Johnson asked partnership members to keep Mauldin in their prayers.

The search continued Tuesday night. Officials expect to announce today whether they will keep looking.

A staff report

I just spoke to my Aunt, the search is to be called off at sunset. The news stories have been a little off, Ashley had never been diving before it was supposedly her first dive and she was never certified. They have not found any trace of her, not a flipper, goggles..nothing. The FBI has been tipped off in regards to possible foul play. They are in the process of investigating.

cody, thank you for your updates ...

do you know if Ashley was diving with an instructor in the process of becoming
certified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom