The hunt is on for missing diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=35064

Anybody have any details? From the description, I'm guessing they might have been on the M60 Army tanks. I'm not familiar with any other Artificial reefs (off the top of my head) at about 14 miles out in Pasco county. The description of "after 40 minutes" tells me they were probably in about 30 feet of water.

Here's the text in case you can't get to the site.

Hudson, Florida— After eight long hours of searching, there's still no sign of a missing diver who disappeared 14 miles off the Florida coast west of New Port Richey in the Gulf of Mexico. Sheriff's Deputies say 28-year-old Ashley Mauldin was diving near an artificial reef when she got separated from her husband and two other divers.

Sondra-Kay Kneen, US Coast Guard:
“When everyone surfaced, after 40 minutes, she didn't come back up, her time was up, so they immediately called the Coast Guard after that..”
Rescue crews worry Mauldin, who was only certified to dive in the last two weeks, may have become tangled up or trapped in the underwater debris. Strong currents also may have played a role, possibly pulling her away from the boat and leaving her stranded.

Jackey Angelis, Florida Fish and Wildlife Officer:
“It is very frustrating, and sometimes you look on each other for answers… and right now there's not too many answers out there”
Bad weather and poor underwater visibility made the search effort difficult Monday night. Rescuers plan to be back out all day Tuesday with crews searching from the air and underwater.

The hunt is on for missing diver
Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pasco County, Florida: authorities are on the hunt for a missing diver who disappeared Monday.

Deputies said 28-year-old Ashley Mauldin was on a 40 minute diving trip off the coast of New Port Richey with family when she vanished.

After the time elapsed, everyone surfaced except Mauldin. Friends and family said Mauldin is not an experienced diver and it was her second time diving.

Today, the U.S. Coast Guard is using helicopters and boats to try and find Mauldin.

(This article was on Bay News9.)

Darn, that sounds like it's not going to turn out well. Thoughts and prayers for her and her family.

Good thoughts, for the young diver and family. Godspeed to the rescue team. Pray it doesn't become a recovery team.

The tanks? Those are about 40 miles south, just off St. Pete.

Veterans is about the right direction, distance and depth, and it's artificial, but of course that's just a wildass guess.

There are several sets of tanks. Every Gulf coastal county had a chance to get 10 for artificial reefs.

I hope they find her afloat down current, but it doesn't look good.

Hey everyone I was trying to find some information about Ashley and ran across this site Ashley is a family friend she is originally from Tulsa, OK my Aunt and Ashley's mother have been best friends forever. They just arrived in FL this afternoon and there is not much news that I have heard other than what the article says. I do know that all the divers were in the process of loading back onto the boat when a swell came up and after that she was gone. the coast guard began searching within 25 minutes of them knowing she was missing. I know her mother (Charlotte) would thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom