The humiliations of Fundies have already begun . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Despite her protestations otherwise, my friend is making good progress. We're not going to worry about back kicks ... or even frog kicks ... at this point. Her Fundies instructor can do a much better job of teaching those to her properly than I can.

Our goal, really, is to get her comfortable with the gear so she can concentrate on skills during class. We've got some minor adjustments to make, but she did a good job setting things up after reading the Fundies book and Dan McKay's book (much better than I did on my first set-up).

I've counselled Lynne ... as I will any new diver who's thinking to take Fundamentals ... don't worry about trying to practice skills to get ready for the class. Work on getting comfortable with the gear, and on buoyancy control. Let your instructor show you how to perform the skills, and be mentally committed to working on them after the class is done.

... and don't worry about "passing" ... the C-card isn't the goal, really. It's the skills that matter, and the class simply teaches you how to develop them properly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As one who's just takend DIRF, I agree with you wholeheartedly . Do not focus on passing or failing, but on learning new skills. Afterall, DIRf used to be a workshop without a C card of any sort. I think market pressure changed that for GUE. But you're right, get comfortable with the equipment and let the instructors teach the skills.
She's lucky to have you as a mentor. :) You're a good guy.

NWGratefulDiver:
Despite her protestations otherwise, my friend is making good progress. We're not going to worry about back kicks ... or even frog kicks ... at this point. Her Fundies instructor can do a much better job of teaching those to her properly than I can.

Our goal, really, is to get her comfortable with the gear so she can concentrate on skills during class. We've got some minor adjustments to make, but she did a good job setting things up after reading the Fundies book and Dan McKay's book (much better than I did on my first set-up).

I've counselled Lynne ... as I will any new diver who's thinking to take Fundamentals ... don't worry about trying to practice skills to get ready for the class. Work on getting comfortable with the gear, and on buoyancy control. Let your instructor show you how to perform the skills, and be mentally committed to working on them after the class is done.

... and don't worry about "passing" ... the C-card isn't the goal, really. It's the skills that matter, and the class simply teaches you how to develop them properly.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

She's lucky to have you as a mentor.

Believe me, she knows it! :)

TSandM:
Believe me, she knows it! :)
All this prictice with Bob... You're cheating! :D

TSandM:
I've already cinched everything up a bit over my down jacket, but this afternoon, I don undergarment and drysuit (in my 70 degree house) and put the BP/W assembly (sans tank) on to check the fit. It's actually pretty good -- snug around the shoulders but enough to get a hand in when bending over. I check the length on the waistband, which needs to be cut down, and go to take the harness off so I can cut the webbing.

This is where the problems start. I can't get it off. I can't chicken-wing my right arm through the strap, and I can't slip the left arm off because of the dry suit valve. Hmm. I remember a thread about this, and somebody said the trick was to put the tank down on something and allow the harness to slip up. So I back up to the back of a chair and try this . . .

This is why I "flip" out of my rig. So much simpler to reach back and grab the tank valve, or top of the wing, bend forward and just let it slide off...

PerroneFord:
This is why I "flip" out of my rig. So much simpler to reach back and grab the tank valve, or top of the wing, bend forward and just let it slide off...

Oohhh so easy in an alum 80, but try it with a lp95! :D

Well, we won't go into whether I succeeded in reaching my tank valve last night or not . . . that was a whole 'nother set of contortions.

Rick, remember I'm starting way behind the curve -- I NEED all the help I can get!

I got trapped in my self donning drysuit the 1st time I tried it on (with thermals) and could not for the life of me get it unzipped. Of course I was alone and was going through all these contortions trying to remove it and was about to make a very awkward phone call to have a friend come get me out of it when I got the zipper undone. It still took several minutes to wriggle out of it from that point and I was so mad and frustrated. The heat was unbearable!
The funny thing is that I have never had that much trouble getting out of it since and never need help. I still won't get in it with my thermals if I am by myself though.
so yeah you arent alone :)

Robert Phillips:
Oohhh so easy in an alum 80, but try it with a lp95! :D
Please don't :11: .....but...If you do, please let some of us be there with a first-aid kit....and a camera eyebrow !

cool_hardware52:
Reminds me of the first time I tried to mount a "sew-up" bike tire. I glued both thumbs to the inside of the tire, and all eight fingers to the rim. I was all alone in my shop on a friday night. Felt like a roach in the roach motel.

Tobin
:lol3:...:rofl: coffee down the front of my shirt... (better than on the keyboard!) And you just leave us "there"... wondering how you got out!!! Do you have any fingerprints left???

Thanks for the excellent tip about leaving on keeper off to learn.
Claudette

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom