The humiliations of Fundies have already begun . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
And as if that lesson in humility were not enough . . .

I did dive the gear tonight. I felt very much as though I had been immersed in a bowl of overcooked spaghetti and was trying to eat it neatly while wearing thick, neoprene gloves.

I was attached to far too many things, all of which were connected to me with recalcitrant bolt snaps, and none of which were where I thought they were when I tried to find them. I did manage to get my SPG unclipped to check it, but never managed to get it clipped again, and decided a runaway ascent was not something I was willing to risk to try any harder -- it could hang. I did manage an air-share with Bob (he wouldn't have died) but kicked up a square meter of silt doing so, and never got the hose tucked under my light canister again.

And at the end of the dive, Bob still had to get me out of the harness. This is definitely going to take work.

I love these threads. I had a whole series recounting my public humiliation. Stories in front of the TV, watching WestWing clipping and unclipping stuff to the harness while wifie thinks I'm mental.

Walking around the house donning and doffing (thumbs in the shoulder D-rings was the ticket for me) the rig, etc.

I thought I had it all dialed in (consulting the NoCal Beatnik and all) - then when I took Fundies and my instructor loosned it all up so I was no longer a prisinor. In fact, all 5 of us had the harness too tight!

DO NOT STOP POSTING THIS STUFF.

You rule. HBdivegirl is taking her Fundies in Nov... I'm sure her public humiliation will begin any day now... :wink:

---
Ken

LOL....your story was funny, sorry to laugh but it was. I've been there, well not to that degree but i have. Here's what i do. I'm sure your familiar with the two stoppers we use on the bottom of the backplates where the webbing goes through. Well, i don't put one on the right side of the plate. This allows me to pull the shoulder strap out and easily get out of the rig. When diving, i use a canister light and a buckle on my right waistband, and that compensates for the missing stopper, if i don't use a canister, then i just use the buckle, although a couple of times that i forgot it i encountered no problem, because your waist buckle keeps everything in place anyway. I hope this helps.

Well, I would have practiced clipping and unclipping (which I practiced, really I did, before tonight, but not with my gloves, darnit) during NCIS tonight after the dive, but I thought my husband might really object to the wet wing sitting in our upholstered chairs.

As Fundies gets closer, I may stop worrying about such things.

TSandM:
Well, I would have practiced clipping and unclipping (which I practiced, really I did, before tonight, but not with my gloves, darnit) during NCIS tonight after the dive, but I thought my husband might really object to the wet wing sitting in our upholstered chairs.

As Fundies gets closer, I may stop worrying about such things.

After Fundies you'll have a whole new set of stuff to worry about... :11:

---
Ken

PS: about the hardest thing for me to get dialed in was re-clipping the SPG. I learned to back kick before I learned to re-stow the SPG with any grace... :rolleyes:

I learned to back kick before I learned to re-stow the SPG with any grace...

Oh, dear, and I understand some of us never get the back kick during the class . . . Will SPG clipping be my nemesis? The guys who devised this whole DIR system did NOT have any arthritis in their hands, I am quite sure.

As you know, Mo2vation, I am using your DIR-F reports as a guide for surviving this whole experience . . .

TSandM:
Oh, dear, and I understand some of us never get the back kick during the class . . .
Actually, whats worse is having it and when they put that camera on you...you lose it. I lost it for 1 1/2 dives. Drove me nuts.

TSandM,

I know I should feel sorry for the hardships that you had to endure, but...

ROTFLMAO

Thanks for sharing this with us and making me laugh (that hard that my tummy hurts)

I hope Dir-F itself is painless/easier

Mo2vation:
I love these threads. I had a whole series recounting my public humiliation. Stories in front of the TV, watching WestWing clipping and unclipping stuff to the harness while wifie thinks I'm mental.

Walking around the house donning and doffing (thumbs in the shoulder D-rings was the ticket for me) the rig, etc.

I thought I had it all dialed in (consulting the NoCal Beatnik and all) - then when I took Fundies and my instructor loosned it all up so I was no longer a prisinor. In fact, all 5 of us had the harness too tight!

DO NOT STOP POSTING THIS STUFF.

You rule. HBdivegirl is taking her Fundies in Nov... I'm sure her public humiliation will begin any day now...
03.gif

---
Ken
...I knew I should have put my specs on to read the fine print in the Fundies class description!!! So all those pretty pictures were just the bait on the hook... now we see the True Face of Fundies:

Diver against Rig! Full take-downs in the kitchen! :maniac:

Insane spouses wearing dive gear on the couch! :shocked:

SPG Snapbolts from Hades! :lightingz

Back kicks that abandon ship!
outtahere.gif

Near-death by Threesome !:smileysto

Oh, the humanity!!!

Oh my...here we go.....
scared.gif

Thanks, TSandM for taking us all along... that was brilliant! More! More!!

TSandM:
Oh, dear, and I understand some of us never get the back kick during the class . . . Will SPG clipping be my nemesis? The guys who devised this whole DIR system did NOT have any arthritis in their hands, I am quite sure.

As you know, Mo2vation, I am using your DIR-F reports as a guide for surviving this whole experience . . .

No worries. DIR-F is not meant to teach you everything in one weekend. It took me quite some time after DIR-F to get it done *reliabily*.
The main focuses of fundamentals are trim, buoancy and team awareness. The rest of the stuff is just there to make it hard ";-)

Laughing so hard I almost spit my coffee out..

I feel your pain. I bought a used BP/W and had to put new webbing on it. Long story short, I had it all rigged up but didn't put chest D rings on it yet. I only had the fundies book as a guide. So here I am, putting the thing on over my wetsuit.. alone.. and got things cinched down.. Then I tried to take it off. I was dancing around trying to shake it off, trying to use the door frame to lever it off. I really thought I'd have to call someone to help get the thing offa me. Finally after about 15 minutes and sweating like a pig I finally got it slipped down enough I could use the edge of the dinning room table to help push it off. It seems we all have our first PB/W horror stores. :)

Thank you for yours!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom