The humiliations of Fundies have already begun . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was for the sake of discussion only. However, I have seen it asked for in some training regimens, and it might be useful in a midwater entanglement but I haven't experienced it.

Doc Intrepid:
Identify, in some detail, a set of circumstances where - while diving with a team - the optimal response to an unforeseen problem is to doff your rig underwater.

PerroneFord:
It was for the sake of discussion only. However, I have seen it asked for in some training regimens, and it might be useful in a midwater entanglement but I haven't experienced it.
When diving as a team, the team responds to the issues of any single member. Entanglements especially... :)

Team? You mean, you don't dive solo? :)

Doc Intrepid:
Identify, in some detail, a set of circumstances where - while diving with a team - the optimal response to an unforeseen problem is to doff your rig underwater.
At the beginning of '05, I took the tests to try and become a volunteer diver at the national aquarium (didn't make it, but didn't expect to at the time either). On the swim test, they put a 50gal drum (or something similar) on the bottom that you have to swim through. The only way to do it is to remove your rig. Some other candidate was nice enough to tell me that up front. At the time, I had a back-inflate BC with weight-integrated pockets. I put a weight belt on which helped, and I could get in and out of that rig fairly easily under water. I'm not sure what's going to happen with my BP/W, but I'm guessing that over-the-head will be necessary if I do the test again.

Chris

cmalinowski:
At the beginning of '05, I took the tests to try and become a volunteer diver at the national aquarium (didn't make it, but didn't expect to at the time either). On the swim test, they put a 50gal drum (or something similar) on the bottom that you have to swim through. The only way to do it is to remove your rig. Some other candidate was nice enough to tell me that up front. At the time, I had a back-inflate BC with weight-integrated pockets. I put a weight belt on which helped, and I could get in and out of that rig fairly easily under water. I'm not sure what's going to happen with my BP/W, but I'm guessing that over-the-head will be necessary if I do the test again.

Chris
It's not necessary.

I doff and don my BP/harness in the pool all the time to show students how it's done. In a wetsuit, if the harness is properly adjusted it's simple to chicken-wing out one side, and "roll" out the other. Putting it back on is no different than doing the same thing in a traditional BCD.

The same procedure works in open water, in a drysuit ... you just have to be mindful of your wrist gauges and dump valve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
It's not necessary.

I doff and don my BP/harness in the pool all the time to show students how it's done. In a wetsuit, if the harness is properly adjusted it's simple to chicken-wing out one side, and "roll" out the other. Putting it back on is no different than doing the same thing in a traditional BCD.

The same procedure works in open water, in a drysuit ... you just have to be mindful of your wrist gauges and dump valve ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I may have to loosen my harness up a bit. But I'm going to play with this in the pool lots of times before that anyway. I'll try both ways and see which one I like best. I would think that over-the-head may be cleaner from a hose standpoint, but I'd have to think about that a little more.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom