The Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOF is so much more comfortable when youre wearing necklaced backup regulators. And it doesnt stress the strap as much pulling it back on.

Not lost a mask yet and i figure if i do losing one mask every 6 years isnt going to be a huge issue to me. Pros outweigh the cons.

Oh as this thread could get huge i'll stir it up some more - ive never once found a use for a snorkel when diving either :)

you obviously havnt ever been diving in large waves with no air. its much easier to breathe in choppy condition with a snorkel...other then that, theres no real point unless your doing your rescue, DM or IDC, as you need it for your surface swims/tows

i loved the guardian. top 5 movies ive ever seen :D:D

Large waves?! The north atlantic tends to develop those so id say yes, every weekend. Choppy situation, inflate wing, float very high, breathe normally. If the swell is anything over 30cm a snorkel is entirely useless anyway.

Surface swims, again on back or breathing from the reg using negligable air on the surface.

I can see where this is going...and the scenery is way too familiar.

Personally, I keep my mask on, but that's mainly because I have corrective lenses in mine and putting the mask on my forehead means I don't see things up close well. So if I want to see, mask stays in front of my eyes, and for that reason alone I have never risked losing my mask or having someone grab me in a choke hold, flip me on my back and try to start towing me to shore.
As for the snorkel, I find it much easier and faster to make long swims with it. Certainly, filling the wings and floating high is an option...if I don't want to make significant headway in a forward direction in good trim. When I'm diving in very controlled conditions (quarry, confined bay, etc...) I leave the snorkel off. If it's open water or drift diving, I have it on.
So now we have a choice...flame wars or not? I'll get my fire extinquisher ready.

String:
Large waves?! The north atlantic tends to develop those so id say yes, every weekend. Choppy situation, inflate wing, float very high, breathe normally. If the swell is anything over 30cm a snorkel is entirely useless anyway.

Surface swims, again on back or breathing from the reg using negligable air on the surface.
With all due respect, the Atlantic doesn't know what large waves are, fetch is too short. Why would a 30 cm swell keep one from using a snorkel?

:popcorn: haha MOF, snorkel or not to snorkel deja vu.....

andydiver06:
Have you people seen the movie "The Gaurdian"

I think they're running it for in-flight movies on airplanes now.

As this thread isnt about the irritating plastic tube im bowing out before its hijacked.

If anyone really wants to search and breathe new life into one of the hundreds of existing ones then i'll respond on that.

thanks string for being the bigger man and finning away :D

honestly, snokels and MOF is a personal choice. im not one to judge, and neither is anyone else for that matter.

but the gaudian is a great movie. i like seeing aston play a more serious role then those in which he is usually depicted.

What I like about this thread is the obvious efficiency in combining MOF/NMOF with snorkel/no snorkel.

Back
Top Bottom