The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not running the line. I would not take the line past 130, but that's me thinking clearly at the surface. What happens in bad vis or silt out conditions if someone finds the line and goes the wrong way Narcd out? I also think too many people use the lines at Windy PT thinking they are "safe". Too many different levels of divers there.

My suggestion is the line should not exceed 130'. Maybe a jump from 130' to 150'. Those who know how to make the jump can(not me yet)

I'm not running the line. I would not take the line past 130, but that's me thinking clearly at the surface. What happens in bad vis or silt out conditions if someone finds the line and goes the wrong way Narcd out? I also think too many people use the lines at Windy PT thinking they are "safe". Too many different levels of divers there.

My suggestion is the line should not exceed 130'. Maybe a jump from 130' to 150'. Those who know how to make the jump can(not me yet)

The line was at 130, someone changed it, its been like this for a long time.

The other issue is 130 when, when the lake is full? when the lake is 40 feet low?

I say leave it, if someone tries to commit suicide on it, well, you can't keep people safe by protecting them from themselves.

The line was at 130, someone changed it, its been like this for a long time.

The other issue is 130 when, when the lake is full? when the lake is 40 feet low?

I say leave it, if someone tries to commit suicide on it, well, you can't keep people safe by protecting them from themselves.

Works for me. :cool2:

Any recent vis reports? Thinking about checking out the progress on a NYD scooter dive w/DM.

Thanks,
Trey

ah, on the next dive, can you take a bag of knots down and put them on the line every 10 feet?

:cool2:

Fixx, you owe me a keyboard for this one. For some reason I'm not getting e-mail updates from SB anymore, so I've missed all of the updates since about last May. Good reading. :popcorn:

I haven't been down there in a while, been busy with crazy things that tied me down for a while.

When you get to the other side there is a long section where the line is IN the mud, you'll have to lift it out to follow it. It comes back out at a tree tie off then is up off the mud for a while, I plan on going back and adding pvc "cages" to hold the line up off the mud, stakes can't be used as there is solid ground just a couple inches under the mud/silt.

I know there is at least 1 tie off up the other side that is very sketchy then a couple solid ones with long runs between, good tie offs are few and far between up the other side. At the end my reel is just stuck in the mud.

If anyone extends out my reel I ask just sink it back in the mud if there is still line on it or bring it back up and arrange return if you pay it all out.

Was just down on the line this past weekend. It looks like it has been awhile since anyone was on it, followed it across the river bed and up the other side a ways (not to the end). It was very buried in several areas, pulling it out knocked the 2' vis down to zero. All of the stakes are still sunk in well etc... I still want to do some survey work on it but will need to wait until vis is a bit better.

It's pretty amazing how fast lines get silt on them out there. Last year we added some line then would come back a week later to find a thick layer of silt on it.
Suspect the stakes will remain solid. Pulling them out is really hard as they seem to get a vacuum/suction effect that holds them in place.

What depth did you have?

It was not just a little layer, the line was buried 3-6".

I hit 153' ffw max depth before it started heading back up again, lake was about 18' low I think. Id like to get out there again allthough I'll need to find an affordable place to fill tmx in Houston. I used some 22/27 left over form my last dive in lower orange grove this time.

Back
Top Bottom