The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was not just a little layer, the line was buried 3-6".

I hit 153' ffw max depth before it started heading back up again, lake was about 18' low I think. Id like to get out there again allthough I'll need to find an affordable place to fill tmx in Houston. I used some 22/27 left over form my last dive in lower orange grove this time.

Hey man sorry I didn't make it out I totally forgot, this job thing kind of sucks sometimes :-(

The line is for sure buried up the other side in spots due to the shape of the slope and lack of tie off's.

I have a design for a line support device to keep it up out of the mud, just haven't been down there to install them.

After I get them built I'll make them available to anyone that wants to go install them if they get down there before me.

Completely understand that - I have been swamped since January - this was my first time out since then.

Let me know when you are wanting to go put them in, I will lend a hand.

I was there this past weekend, but never got the chance to dive the line. Hope to do this during the summer.

Blast from the past - someone told me this is still there, or at least part of it, is anyone maintaining or updating it? At one point I think someone drug an anchor over it when the lake was down.

I've been dry for years (injuries keep me on the surface) but I was surprised to hear at least part of this, is still there.

Holy thread of the walking dead Batman! The last post was from 2011. :cool:

I just checked in to see if any of you “Old Guys” were still around. I know a couple are no longer with us but it’s good to touch base with those that are.

Edited to add: TEXAS SWAMP DIVERS should be the name of the Forum. Not just Texas.

Many have moved away, Kurt - who was the compass man on the sections I staked moved away years ago but he still dives. Ended up selling him a good portion of my gear.

Titanium plates, screws, and hardware caused me to hang it up but I still dream about it.

Edited to add: TEXAS SWAMP DIVERS should be the name of the Forum. Not just Texas.
I've gotten used to diving blind. 5ft visiblity? Hah, try 5mm visibility.

What do you have that is Ti plated? 6 of my 9 broken ribs have Ti plating, and I did that before I learned how to dive. Although, I was still doing physio for my accident, when I learned how to scuba.
I have a plate and six screws in my neck so 5-7 is fused and 3-5 is paper thin as well as 7-t1 - I can't look up so it's impossible for me to swim prone in the water. I tried air filled caving but when I'm crawling I end up stuck staring at the floor using my hard had to figure out which way the tunnel runs.

Climbing sucks too, kinda hard to find a line when you have to contort your entire body to look up.

After I recovered from surgery reality hit me so I just walked away from it all, all at once.

Deleted all my group memberships and followings on FB etc because I'd see posts and pictures and it would punch me right in the feels.

To this day I'll dream about it and wake up all excited that I can dive again then I fully wake up and realize I was dreaming and it bums me out.

How did it happen? One day I looked over my right shoulder and I felt - bubble wrap, best way to describe it. Left side of my body curled up like a stroke victim with pain that can't be described.

In the end I have minor kidney damage (from all the drugs and way too much of them) and preeminent nerve damage at my C5-6 root so I'm affected from my neck down my left arm.

Life changed for me in a second, and all it took was turning to look over my right shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom