The Great Travis Traverse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the zig zag repair, did you run a new line between stakes then try to clean out the zag? is thats what is lose?

The line is continuous, we removed at the midpoint, in hindsight not favorable, but the line is no longer tied off the zig peg, not cut but removed. I'd expect it to be somewhat bundled, but who knows. It it still fixed by outside posts.

Simple fix:

Careful out to stake w/ limp line opposite side. Cut line on far side of that stake, tie off current wrap on stake (or 2nd tie), then reel in w/ empty finger spool brought for this purpose. Cut line and tie off on same stake.

Last edited:
Keeping up with this thread makes me wish I was back home.. T-Minus 11 days and I'd be happy to lend any support I can. Does anyone else working on this have a scooter? I'd be willing to lend mine to the effort if something is going on while I am around.

Scooter is the way to do the distant stuff, I never really realized how far of a swim that is until I scootered it, the entire time i was holding the trigger down I was thinking holy crap, I swam this?

cuts way down on the required deco

Nice day at Travis w/ DownUnderJen, Cavemn, & LVX.

LVX & I dropped down to the GTTP to remove the loose line from the zig-zag.

Everything went smooth, with removal and tie-offs. LVX hovered above me the whole time providing exceptional light support during the tie-offs. That's the complete opposite scenario of my first dives on the GTTP supporting FIXXERVI6 & Trimix1050 in ZERO VIS... those were great dives w/ Zero issues :)
I'm just saying, the bottom vis is rocking right now! Checked the next post, line looks awesome stretching off into the darkness :D

While vis is poor shallow, it opens up at 70' and gets better the deeper you go.
Vis on bottom is excellent, 15' easy, max depth 159', temp 56f.

Thank you LVX for your support and glad it was a very enjoyable dive.

Amazing how fast the silt builds on that line... looked like rope almost till touched to reveal #24 line, leaving tracers of silt suspended.

I do think it's time to add a jump gap, for safety and practice, but where?

Anyone object to a short, easy, & logical jump somewhere below the deep platform?

My choice would probably be the section connecting to the first stake, or very close to that...

Regardless of lake depth, following that line far and safely returning requires technical skills including some lengthy decompression stops. I don't want a rec diver simply following the line straight from top to bottom w/out a break "because it's there." or surfacing out in the middle unprepared :confused:

A jump in the right place will significantly help IMO. Simple and effective. Plus good practice.:wink:

FIXXERVI6, Trimix1050 what do ya'll think?

Last edited:
Do you have a destination in mind? if so you gonna double arrow it with the name of the line? I think it wiould be cool to have a jump running to that house boat that sunk off WP, I'd put it in if I knew where it was.

I'd love to see jumps off this thing

jumps would really allow for expansion beyond just the swim to the middle of no where too, cause thats a long swim out there and back through the desert channel.

Side note I believe I have an anchor design to solve the problem with the line on the other bank, I'll post pics when I get something put together.

Do you have a destination in mind?

What I meant was put a gap in the existing line, say between the log tie off and first stake, or somewhere near the river bank. Something separating it from the 130' of continuous chain/line above. Doesn't need to be much, a few feet in the right spot.

I think the houseboat you're referring to sank at Volente Marina. There is a small houseboat missing from Wreck Alley, but I think it was only towed a short distance to deeper waters.

Last edited:
The GTTP line never did come up to that platform, someone else took the liberty of changing the line more than once to get it the way it is now, I'd rather leave it alone because if a gap is put in, someone is going to just mess with it again.

With that said I'm not too hip on it being attached to the deep platform either, if your motovation is to hide the line for safety's sake I'd be all for it, but how? It was found and changed before I'm willing to bet they would just do it again, and since it has been attached to the deep platform it appears to be un molested for the most part.

The line used to start at 130 feet on a tree - used to.

Good point... I guess either way works fro me, just don't want anyone following too far and getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom