The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with Brandy, although I do realise that for alot of people, the nearest dive shop is hours away. I know our shop does email sales, although we are not really an "on-line" dive shop. The manufacturers know we do this, and approve (we match online pricing w/ full manufacturer warranty) HOWEVER, we do check and make sure there are no Dealers nearby (within 1/2 drive time) that carry or can special order that item for the customer before we make the sale. We try not to step on any "territorial" toes or take business away from local shops. But, it is amazing how many people live 4 hours away from the closest dive shop. For these people, buying gear online is the most practical option they have.

And Buff, how much are you willing to pay for airfills? If you think compressors are cheap (even online) you might be in for a surprise! Even small compressors use gobs of electricity...not to mention the maintanance (oil, filters, cleaning...).

Basically, I think some people are going to buy gear online instead of through their dive shop. And, truthfully, I can't blame them sometimes. The prices the Diveshops pay for the gear is outrageous, so their retail price is going to be more so. But, this is life support equipment, so it isn't going to be "K-mart" pricing.

I think the majority of people still like the "one on one" relationship they have with their dive shop. Maybe the internet is a good thing. It will make the dive shops more customer oriented and price competitive. I'm not saying that most dive shops AREN'T trying to make their customers happy. But, maybe they have to start offering something else besides just selling gear. I agree that gear sales is how most of them stay in business. And, there usually isn't alot of profit made..they do it because they love diving. And their loyal customers will keep buying from them. I think alot of people still like that "instant gratification" of walking out of a store with their new regulator in their hands..rather than waiting a week to 10 days for it to be delivered to them.

Ok....done rambling now. As you can probably tell, I can see both sides of the issue here (what can I say...I'm a Libra!)

KCdiver...they are charging me a nomial $20 charge. I'm having them take a quick look to see if all is well before I dive it and before the 14-day return window runs out.

I agree with keeping the shop in business. All of my "hard" gear dollars go there as do my training dollars. But I still desire to keep my equipment costs reasonable so that I can afford to take classes and trips through the shop. So I try to keep my purchases balanced somewhat.

Like someone said before...if the shop has major input into assisting you in your selection (aka invests time in you) then make the sale with them. However if the item is simple enough that you don't need their expertise, and you can find the best deal online....buy it online.

--TexasMike

For Sale: Used Soapbox, going cheap. Perfect for expounding religous sermons, political pontifications, and providing your opinion on any number of subjects.

As long as I can bring my genuine gatorskin bang stick! :jester:

Always enjoy diving and exploring with new folks. That's what made today's trip to Terrel Springs so much fun. Where are you located anyhow?

What is the board's experience with online and catalog buying of equipment? Our local dive shop will give a 10% discount on a package purchase of equipment. I have seen some package deals online that will beat the 10% discount, but sometimes I have found that paying a little extra locally will get you favorable treatment down the line. (no charge for small parts or repairs that end up being minor in nature, etc.) Any thoughts on this?

As far as experience buying online, I have only made one purchase. It was a couple of hooded vests from Divers Direct They sent exactly what I ordered, it cost about half what the dive shops were quoting, and instead of having to wait a couple of weeks (I needed it that weekend) for a local shop to order them I got overnight shipping. They arrived when they were supposed to, they were exactly what I expected. No complaints at all.

Most of my buying, however I do at a local shop. It is my experience that they will work with you on a lot of things. Most shops appreciate a good relationship with "loyal customers". Be it service, advice, any little "extras", it's like most small or family owned businesses. They will go the extra mile for a good customer. It helps you out and at the same time, is pretty good assurance that you'll continue to do business there. It works out well for everybody concerned.

As with my other replies on this issue, I advocate a balance between where I make my purchases. There are things that are best purchased at your LDS (such as the major life support equipment), but I also feel that purchasing the non-life support equipment that does not require a shops input (such as accessories) online is okay.

And training is something that cannot be obtained via mail order (or a cracker jack box), so my LDS will always get my bucks on that.

I had a bad experience with diversdiscount.com I'm sure they are good for US customers. I liked their range of products also. And the root of the problem was the length of time it was taking to process the credit card and their lack of replies to email. I believe they are understaffed.

They have trouble with processing international credit cards (Unlike amazon.com and tons of other sites).

They do not answer emails so I had to call them up.

They are supposed to have a price guarantee but do not honnour it. Case in point they have a yahoo store front with the Sherwood Brut for $159.99, on their other site Diversdiscount.com they have the reg for $169.99. When you refer to this they do not answer the email.

When I phoned them up they wanted me to call back so they could check up on the items to see if they were in stock. I called them back 30mins later and they were unable to send my package because UPS had left 15 mins perviosly, something they had omitted to mention would be a factor.

However there is a site in Europe with fantastic prices, at least 30% cheaper than most US sites I have checked.
This site sent the gear by DHL it took 4 days to arrive from order date and with freight of $32US was still 50% cheaper than the cheapest US site. ($199us versus $299) I also got a manufacturers warranty. The downside is that they do not carry Sherwood and have a more limited range than Diversdiscount.

I believe that the US sites such as Diversdiscount are great for US customers how they cover the warranty is a concern as customer service is lacking. European sites seem to have the edge in pricing of Mares, Apeks, Scubapro, Oceanic and some US Divers gear. And seem to have better delivery and customer service. However the choice is much more limited.

If there is a great priced US site with good customer service I would like the name as i still want a dive light and some clips. Dive lights are expensive out of Europe and most Europe sites lack accessories.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom