The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently purchased a Suunto Stinger online from Singapore. I did a huge amount of research on the net about it and other options. But when spending AU$1350 on a piece of equipment, I first want to get a good look at it.

So I drop into my LDS, ask to have a quick look at one, and a bit of a play while the sales person helps someone else. I don't take more than 5 minutes of the guys time, because I know I'm not going to give them this sale.

After having a look and feel, I purchased the Stinger online (yes, I know Suunto don't authorise online sales) from a Singaporian store for S$660 (AU$690) - about half price than purchasing locally, and even cheaper than the 2nd hand Spyder that the LDS had.

This case was an exception because the price was so much better. Usually, even if I find a price up to 10-15%, I will give my business to the salesperson that invests a lot of time and honest opinion on my needs and their products.

Before I go any further I should perhaps clarify that equipment prices in LDS’ in my area (Brisbane, Australia) are at least double of what I would have to pay from LP. Since I am diving with my family (and paying for their gear) I would find it very difficult to even consider scuba as a possible hobby if I wasn’t aware of the savings to be had when purchasing online. Consequently thanks to the fact that I can purchase scuba gear online my local LDS can have at least some of my custom such as training, diving trips and hire of tanks plus air. It is also likely that I will purchase from them at least some of the less pricey gear and I will get them to service my equipment. To put it simply if local LDS was my only source to purchase gear I would find some other hobby thus depriving my LDS of any of my business whatsoever.
I should add that I have never tried/measured or even discussed any gear in my LDS with the intention of later purchasing it online. Such practices are not only unfair to the shop owner but are also likely to affect any future dealings. On the other hand what would be your feelings regarding your LDS if you found that the gear they have sold you at supposedly discounted price was available online for $3,000 less?

I bought my fins, mask, snorkel from the local shop when I first took the OW class. Then, I saw that Leisure Pro offered the same fins, mask, snorkel, boots, gloves for about 60% cheaper than the dive shop. Yes, I was a little pissed. I now buy my non-life-preserving equipment such as wetsuits, replacement masks, gloves, flashlights online now. I don't blame people for buying their stuff online, even if it is BC's, regs, computers, etc. I DO think it is a little wrong to go in, try on for correct sizing, and then order online, especially if you are putting the salesman on, like you're about to purchase it there.
sharkman
:guitar:

froop once bubbled...
I recently purchased a Suunto Stinger online from Singapore. I did a huge amount of research on the net about it and other options. But when spending AU$1350 on a piece of equipment, I first want to get a good look at it.

So I drop into my LDS, ask to have a quick look at one, and a bit of a play while the sales person helps someone else. I don't take more than 5 minutes of the guys time, because I know I'm not going to give them this sale.

After having a look and feel, I purchased the Stinger online (yes, I know Suunto don't authorise online sales) from a Singaporian store for S$660 (AU$690) - about half price than purchasing locally, and even cheaper than the 2nd hand Spyder that the LDS had.

This case was an exception because the price was so much better. Usually, even if I find a price up to 10-15%, I will give my business to the salesperson that invests a lot of time and honest opinion on my needs and their products.

IMO - this is wrong. First because it's unethical, secondly because you didn't even give the LDS a chance to match price or come very close. You basically used the LDS for the touchy feely part (dress shop) then went online to purchase. If you decide to give the LDS a shot at this in the future - remember to make the conversation private, that is out of ear shot of other patrons - it will increase your chances of success.

Governor once bubbled...
...To put it simply if local LDS was my only source to purchase gear I would find some other hobby thus depriving my LDS of any of my business whatsoever.

Do you really feel this way? You wouldn't even know that their prices were out of line - if they were really your only choice, because you'd have no point of reference for comparison.

But that aside, if you love scuba you find a way. No please don't take this as doubt in your passion for the sport, I'm just saying it's the love of the sport that you currently have that would drive you to find a way - a way to save the money, a way to bargain with the shop, a way to ...

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

IMO - this is wrong. First because it's unethical, secondly because you didn't even give the LDS a chance to match price or come very close. You basically used the LDS for the touchy feely part (dress shop) then went online to purchase.

It may be The Wrong Thing to do, but I don't believe that what I did was in any way unethical. Agreed, I did not offer my purchase price, nor did they ask, but I did say that I had a much cheaper price, and was informed that dropping their price to any more than 5-10%, they would rather not make the sale.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...

Do you really feel this way? ...
Actually, Yes. The prices (as quoted by LDS) kept me away from scuba for the last 30 years or so. I love water and I have been swimming and snorkelling with some (very basic) free diving ever since I can remember. Nevertheless I have many other interests and I could easily get by without ever trying scuba and it was the affordability factor that finally made me to embrace the sport. I didn’t need to know that “the prices were out of line” to know that they were too high to be justified. Unlike some more passionate members of this board I have no intention of defending my point of view or discussing this particular issue any further. I believe that I have explained my position adequately but if someone chooses to held different view so be it.

Genesis once bubbled...
there are multiple ways to skin this cat.

You can fix this Mike.

You just have to want to.

Ah....A man after my own heart, a true capitalist!

I love it!

Keep preaching, someday someone in the dive racket will listen!

Dave D

My experience:purchased several items from 2 LDS's. Full retail prices or frustrating delay on orders. On the other hand, every order I have placed online, including Leisure Pro and Diveinn.com (Spain)has arrived within 4 days. Everything has been satisfactory online. The prices are typically 40% off, plus no state tax. BTW:If a LDS is easily angered by potential customers trying on equipment and not purchasing it there, the shop should post a sign "IF YOU TRY IT, YOU BUY IT!!!!", or simply charge a stiff fee for the privilege of trying on the equipment while a salesman gives his best pitch.

How many times have you gone into an LDS seen that wetsuit ,BC, reg ,computer etc that you have been reading about heard excellent reviews and on and on . you are salivating cant get to the cash register fast enough. of course nothing is marked with a price . you ask the price as you pull out your credit card.the clerk tells you the price and you hit the floor it is as much as your last house payment and car payment put together.crestfallen you put it back tell the clerk you'll think about it ,and you do every second of the day then you just happen to see it online at 1/3 the price.you wanted to buy it from the LDS after all you took your classes from them . but tiny tim needs new crutches also. if there is anyone out there who actually sees that wetsuit on e-bay and goes to the LDS to see if it will fit . they should leave a 20 on the counter as they walk out .but I bet most of us go to the LDS fully intending to buy until we see the price
joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom