The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a big group 'awwwww' for the LDS which:

has brain-dead sales staff who give out bogus info instead of saying they don't know the answer to your questions

has staff that can't negotiate any prices until the owner comes back from the Red Sea or whereever...

never has what you are looking for, but can order it

thinks 200+% markup is fair

is 'sure' I want to go to Coz for my next vacation

never bothers to consider that a customer might have more experience than OW class

bad mouths equipment they don't carry

There are over a DOZEN local shops to choose from here, exactly TWO give me reasons to do business with them.

I think a bit of ethics and morality do come into play here. unfortunately, too many people in our society don't give a damn, and think everyone in any service industry (whether that is retail or truly service based) is there to service them. It's really an unfortunate aspect of our society these days. What they don't realize is that the service you're receiving is impled that you'll reciprocate in kind and buy.

My personal philosophy is that if there is gear I want, I'll look and try it where I can (friends, whatever) find it, or just buy it online sight unseen. If I take up a store owners time with questions/service/advice, I'll usually give every opportunity for the store to match the pricing I can get within reason. Within "reason" being defined as 10%-15% above what I can get it for (even though I still have tax, I'll usually gain in better service, and no shipping). My store appears to do that quite willingly and I appreciate them for it and I reciprocate my business.

For instance, an Apeks ATX200 set is usually online for 450ish, if my local store comes anywhere around 500ish, I'm ok with that. Yes, I don't like paying 50% markup on scubapro anymore than anyone else, but as long as the store is willing to work with me, its all good. I just don't think its right for me to take up a huge amount of their time (and being able to try on their gear at their location with their fixed costs and inventory) and then go elsewhere with the business. That's just piss-poor.

anthem once bubbled...
...too many people in our society...think everyone in any service industry...is there to service them.

Ah, so the people in service industries are there to provide service to someone else. Just not to these people you mention? Not sure what you're trying to say... :confused:

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
These are nice people
No, they aren't. And the grouper guy is right. These folks, who don't need to be chincy, will take you for every bit of your knowledge and time they can get away with. You have to figure out how to charge them for it, or to get rid of them. Every free minute you give to them is grocery money you aren't making.
Rick

chris_b once bubbled...

Ah, so the people in service industries are there to provide service to someone else. Just not to these people you mention? Not sure what you're trying to say... :confused:
No, people in service industries are there to *sell* service. It's how they put food on the table.
Rick

ZoCrowes255,

This is just part of sales. Don't take it personally. You have done well by maintaining a positive attitude and getting whatever sales you could from them.

You work in a store where people are welcomed, I assume, to come in and look at gear and maybe try it out, along with getting information from you, with no obligation to buy. Not everyone that picks your brain and tries gear out is going to buy, and not everyone that does'nt is going to walk out empty handed. Some people will go to the extremes to exemplify these points, just another day in the job. Nothing personal.

Another suggestion, ask them what you could have done in order for them to buy from you. They may provide you with a good reason and you may gain some useful tips to use in the future. Then again, they might just lie, or be embarrased about telling the honest truth. You tried to do what you could.

Oh goodie another thread about the blatently immoral practices of consumers and retailers, the fabric of society, and the philosophical consequences of one's actions.

I've read several thoughts on ethics, honesty, and morality, about being disrespected, belittled, treated unfairly, and being taken. Ah, the moral climate that capitalism breeds.

Nearly from birth in most countries we are taught get as much as you can, as quickly as possible, for as little as you have to give back. We have no patience for anything that deviates from our programming. The constant cry is "I've been inconvenienced" "I've lost my most precious resource - time" and yet we can't put a dollar value on it. Over ions the earth's rotational period is the exact same length as it was for our most distant ancestors - yet each year we have less time for everything, and yet too much month left over at the end of our money. What a dilemma.

What we need is to care more, think more, act more, and plan for the future. Get away from the live for today for tomorrow we shall die philosophy, and take WAY MORE RESPONSIBILITY for our actions. Starts with engaging our brains before we speak or act. The more melted the gap becomes between common sense and foolishness, genuine concern for others and me first at all cost, have it all right now and worth waiting for, and finally respecting others and being respected ourselves - the more our society will suffer.

Ok that was really gloomy, but self-reflection is paramount. We (I) must personally change, before anyone else will.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
Oh goodie another thread about the blatently immoral practices of consumers and retailers, the fabric of society, and the philosophical consequences of one's actions.

I've read several thoughts on ethics, honesty, and morality, about being disrespected, belittled, treated unfairly, and being taken. Ah, the moral climate that capitalism breeds.

Nearly from birth in most countries we are taught get as much as you can, as quickly as possible, for as little as you have to give back. We have no patience for anything that deviates from our programming. The constant cry is "I've been inconvenienced" "I've lost my most precious resource - time" and yet we can't put a dollar value on it. Over ions the earth's rotational period is the exact same length as it was for our most distant ancestors - yet each year we have less time for everything, and yet too much month left over at the end of our money. What a dilemma.

What we need is to care more, think more, act more, and plan for the future. Get away from the live for today for tomorrow we shall die philosophy, and take WAY MORE RESPONSIBILITY for our actions. Starts with engaging our brains before we speak or act. The more melted the gap becomes between common sense and foolishness, genuine concern for others and me first at all cost, have it all right now and worth waiting for, and finally respecting others and being respected ourselves - the more our society will suffer.

Ok that was really gloomy, but self-reflection is paramount. We (I) must personally change, before anyone else will.

Ya know they have medication for your habit now DiverBuoy. :angel:

But you have a very valid point.

Living where I do miles away from salt water and as such miles away from an LDS I envy those with choices. Online and the phone are my LDS. I have issues with sizing charts ( they all lie Nobody is 6+ ft tall 170 and over 40 :) Service for me is everything in a supplier. Price is important but how you treat me and help me is far more important. I have had great service online and over the telephone. I have had lousy service in person too. Outfits like Leisure pro have in my experience been great to deal with so far.
In business I have always made it a point to try hard to treat the "difficult" customers with as much kindness as possible. My revenge on some one who abuses my kindness is to be even kinder. Usually I find they change and if they dont I walk away with the knowledge that I am the better for it. And every time someone sees me acting that way my business and reputation improves. Try it, the turn the other cheek stuff is actually profitable.....hard but profitable.(not a comment on religion at all)

Rick Murchison once bubbled...

No, people in service industries are there to *sell* service. It's how they put food on the table.
Rick

I guess I thought those were salespeople. So who *provides* services?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom