The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my area I only have 1 lds so it them or nothing, well theirs always online, I'll use the shop to find out what I want and size then buy it online or at an auctiuon site. One thing is good with the first three rentals of $50. each you can use the money to buy something in the store. So that's $150. basically for nothing. Not too bad even though I could proably save 150 going somewhere else:whoa:

Crash684

You may get the best price online but Texas Mike and Metridium make good points.

You may even find that a LDS will match an online price or just charge a small premium over the online price.

For equipment reviews and comparison tests I strongly recommend www.scubadiving.com which I found very useful when deciding what reg, BC and dive computer to buy.

I have a lot of sympathy for Mike. It's unethical to bend an LDSs ear and then buy online. I happen to know pretty much what I want because there is so much information out there I can carry out my own research. However, I will phone an LDS before I go there to see (a) do they have what I want in stock and (b) what is their best price - I quote them the online price. I'm prepared to pay more than the online price because there are some intangible benefits as set out by Scuba446 and OtterCat. I think this is fair. If they just want to quote me MRSP then I'll go elsewhere.

However, LDSs which aren't prepared to recognise that online stores have fundamentally altered their business model are in for a hard time. LDSs are going to have to focus on what is their value proposition. Golf Club Professionals had to face up to this much earlier, not so much from the online trade (though that is now well established) but from the warehouse operators like Nevada Bobs.

Some of you really have this all wrong. An lds is a very low margin business. We quote msrp because that is the only price we have. I can't quote a diveinn price as it would make more sense to burn the product. There are so many sources these days I have no way of knowing what the spread is. When we quote we explain that it is msrp. I also explain that that price can be used to compare models or brands. But lets face it for the volume we deal with and the size of our market. We will not double volume if we cut the markup in half. The products that don't give a worth while margin we just won't sell. Thats what the manufacturers and the online stores have pushed us for. For the amout of work I put into selling a reg, If I anly have a $20 markup on cost, I would rather not bother.

Just got a letter about the Serwood Maximus recall. They want to send us parts and have us repair these regs for people at no charge. However Sherwood doesn't pay us. Sherwood is all over the net, you can buy them almost for the same price I can. I can not sell a sherwood and make anything then we are supposed to repair them for free. If you have a Maximus send it to Sherwood or diveinn or wherever, but I can't afford to fix it. They also want us to search our records and help them track down Maximus owners who didn't register. This also is a free service. We haven't sold a Sherwood or Genises reg for over a year for just that reason. We took a bath fixing GS200 regs for free. Now you can get them on the net for my price.

Regarding Mike Ferrara's posts about Sherwood:
Admittedly, I don't know much about the relationships between manufacturers and an LDS, but that sounds like an outrageous request by Sherwood! I think this has been mentioned before, but it seems to me that the LDSs need to band together and demand that Sherwood pay them for doing free recall work for their customers, or face collective refusal to sell their products. If Sherwood refuses, then many LDSs will stop carrying Sherwood, and it will only be available on the internet. Many of the internet providers probably don't service the regs, or if they do, I would guess the waiting time is pretty long. Word-of-mouth from the reg owners themselves will eventually get around that having Sherwood products is a real pain because you can't get them serviced anywhere, and it will become a much less popular brand, until Sherwood convinces the LDSs to carry it again by agreeing to pay them for their labor!

It seems to me that someone REALLY needs to form an LDS trade organization! Both divers and LDSs would benefit, and in the long term, so would the manufacturers, since it is better to have LDSs carry their products rather than give up because the manufacturers are unreasonably difficult and demanding.

otter-cat

I guess I am old fashioned in a sense. I do not buy any online. I prefer to see and feel it before I purchase it. I also like to support the LDS. It is a bit hard to get tank fills online. I have considered purchasing a compressor and a blending station but I really don't think I would be able to save that much from purchasing online :)

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Just got a letter about the Serwood Maximus recall. They want to send us parts and have us repair these regs for people at no charge.

I don't understand this. It really makes no sense to me. I had always assumed with these recall type of situations that the LDS's fixed the regs, and then charged the manufacturer for there service. After all it wasn't the LDS that screwed up, it was the manufacturer. I had figured that there was probably a set price per reg, and that it wasn't set really high, but enough to cover at the very least costs, and more if you have a really good and fast technician.

How did this come about? What gave manufacturers the idea that LDS's would give their services for free. This whole relationship seems warped. Its like the manufacturer is charging the LDS for the privilige of selling their gear. Shouldn't the relationship be balanced the other way, where the manufacturer kisses the LDS's A$$ so they'll sell more of their product. This situation has to change, and the power has to shift to the LDS, or a lot of LDS's are going to be in trouble.

Darryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom