The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with most all of you. I figure I'm helping to feed someone somewhere. I agree with Mike that it takes a real screw ball to take advantage of an LDS's "free" services then go out and buy from somewhere else. I don't do that. That's low.

Mike

well what about if you LDS has your money but the owner went out of town Diving and no one else can cut a check to UPS. Making you wait an extra week for a product that you paid for 2 weeks ago. I could have ordered on-line and had the goods in three business days. Yes they fitted me let me try one in the pool and gave me a few other options to think about, but I dive this weekend without the BC that I paid for weeks ago. I still like the place but not sure i will ever special order from them again.

When it comes to procuring new equipment, my experience is that you should always beware of those willing to offer that 'FREE helping hand'!

Aquamore
:jester:

I try to support my LDS as much as I can, because: 1) The owner is a really nice, helpful guy, and I KNOW he doesn't make that much money
2) If the LDS goes under, where will I get my tank filled, where will I get my gear serviced? (If you live in a town with multiple LDSs this might not be as much of a concern, though.)

However, that said, I can't always afford to pay LDS prices. This is the compromise that I more or less work with:

If it is a purchase of anything that a malfunction would significantly affect safety, especially if it involves AIR (regs, bc's, tanks, computers, drysuits) I buy it from my LDS. THen I KNOW I can take it there for inspections & service, and I know it will be well-taken care of, and any problems means I can take it back to them. If it is something that is less safety critical, or has less possibility of malfunction (e.g. fins, mask, snorkel, wetsuit, weights, lights, knives, luggage etc.) I buy online.

What this means is that all the MOST expensive stuff comes from the LDS, but with it comes a good measure of peace of mind. The online purchases of other gear helps offset some of the increased LDS cost. Also, I occasionally will buy something on-line if my LDS simply doesn't carry it (or anything similar to it) but the little things like lanyards, clips, wetsuit shampoo, etc. I still buy from the LDS, because even if it is more expensive, they're still cheap enough that I can afford them, and like I said, I REALLY want to support my LDS.

Safety is the most important criterion for me. And I think that LDS purchases are really the way to go with anything my life may depend on.

otter-cat:)

I buy probably 75% of my gear online.... my local LDS (some of them) are selling gear at full MSRP and thats crazy to me - I don't have that kind of money. I am personally insulted that some of these LDS don't think that clients do their 'homework' to find out what gear retails for and what is discounted. I spent 16 yrs in sales, so I know hoe the sales game works. Many times there is 50-100% mark-up on gear sales. For example, a LDS was charging $109 for a mask and the mail order firms sell it for $75. Thats over $25 more, even when you consider S&H fees. Also, my LDS's just don't have the selection of brands as online firms do, and such items as neoprene weight belts, etc. are not being sold. I have had no problems in purchasing this way - so far, but usually purchase my regs at a LDS in case they need servicing or become a warranty issue.

I think that mail order is here to stay and in 1-2 yrs will be a major competitor. I think its time that some of the LDS's (not all) take a hard look at what they have been doing to this sport, and clients in general, for years, and get with it and stop raping customers.

Example: one local LDS was selling a AquaLung reg for $250...10 miles uptown, another was selling it for $209...same EXACT reg. I said to store 'B' - "Hi, do you know that XYZ is selling the very SAME reg for $209? If you'll match their price, I'll buy it here RIGHT NOW, but thats a significant differance!" They said "OK." THAT just goes to show the markup in this stuff - sicne they COULD afford to make that discount! A little knowledge of what this stuff should cost or sell for is VERY important for someone who needs everything starting new!

I bought my BC (and a few accessories) from www.scubatoys.com and was very happy.

Is there a reason no one seems to mention scubatoys?

hi
I recently called and made a purchase thru leisure pros in nyc
I've purchased from them before but always went to the location, this is my first time making a purchase over the phone with them.
I was offered a used Mares Abyss Reg for almost $150 off full price. I advised them i was leaving on a trip in 6 days to deliver ups express. i got it within 2 days. upon opening box, I received a Mares Abyss Octo not the Mares Abyss Reg. I sent them an email because because they were already closed.
Next business day i called them, told them what happened. said i was leaving in 2 days to please fix the error.
I was told they'll have to investigate, it'll take a couple of days, to send the octo back they'll have to check on the error. which is great for them but leaves me with nothing for my trip in 2 days.
Seeing this was an error on their part, wouldn't it be better if they helped in getting me the right product as soon as possible. they could have sent me the reg same way ups express with a box for box exchange when Ups came to my house.. but leisure pros didn't offer anything other than we'll check it out... some help that is.....

i've purchased online before and when a mistake was made the vendor made every effort to satify the customer...

i rate Leisure Pros with a - 10 with phone or online purchases. as far as purchases made at there location i rate them a 10.

if anyone has similar experiences or has a connection with them please i want to hear from you !!!

ScubaRescuePd@aol.com

hi
I recently called and made a purchase thru leisure pros in nyc
I've purchased from them before but always went to the location, this is my first time making a purchase over the phone with them.
I was offered a used Mares Abyss Reg for almost $150 off full price. I advised them i was leaving on a trip in 6 days to deliver ups express. i got it within 2 days. upon opening box, I received a Mares Abyss Octo not the Mares Abyss Reg. I sent them an email because because they were already closed.
Next business day i called them, told them what happened. said i was leaving in 2 days to please fix the error.
I was told they'll have to investigate, it'll take a couple of days, to send the octo back they'll have to check on the error. which is great for them but leaves me with nothing for my trip in 2 days.
Seeing this was an error on their part, wouldn't it be better if they helped in getting me the right product as soon as possible. they could have sent me the reg same way ups express with a box for box exchange when Ups came to my house.. but leisure pros didn't offer anything other than we'll check it out... some help that is.....

i've purchased online before and when a mistake was made the vendor made every effort to satify the customer...

i rate Leisure Pros with a - 10 with phone or online purchases. as far as purchases made at there location i rate them a 10.

if anyone has similar experiences or has a connection with them please i want to hear from you !!!

ScubaRescuePd@aol.com

I have ordered a lot of dive equipment online-much of it from LeisurePro. LeisurePro has a large selection of products at very good prices.

But they are NOT the personification of customer service. I have sent some goods back because they didn't fit or it just wasn't what I wanted and never had a problem with returns. But I actually feel more comfortable ordering from anywhere else, other than LeisurePro.

I ordered a macro lens for my camera and they sent the wrong one. I was leaving for Bonaire in 1 day.......they didn't care. They don't really care about the customer and they sell just on price. I feel more comfortable buying my gear overseas than from LeisurePro.

If you are looking for great prices - LeisurePro is the way to go. If you are looking for good service then go somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom