The Great local dive shop vs. online debate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srmjohnson once bubbled...
...or better still find your size in a shop first, and then if you really need that better price, then buy that size online....
Ditto on the unethical. Don't take up a bricks-and-mortar store's time when you've got no intention of buying there. They have enough overheads without catering to people using them as a free fitting service.

This is coming from an online store owner.

I agree with Genesis on this issue

But..... would add that in all fairness, the LDS should get a small premium for having the item in stock (or able to get it with out a major hassle) and assisting with the fit and set-up. This amount would vary by item and the amount of LDS help actually received but I would have no problem paying 10% to 15% more depending on the item.

Scott

But..... would add that in all fairness, the LDS should get a small premium for having the item in stock (or able to get it with out a major hassle) and assisting with the fit and set-up.

Having it in stock is worth quite a bit, actually. Immediate gratification is something that has real value. So does the local support (if you need it) down the road.

As someone who does not have and does not use credit cards (which is actually just as well) I am limited to what I can get from my LDS.

Fortunately for me in my area there are more than one within the city and even more if I'm willing to drive a little.

Besides it's worth it to ME to build a rapport with a store and as a matter of fact even if I had a credit card I'd probably still buy from the store, not that it would stop me from asking if that was the best price they could give me. Most shops will recognize a customer's loyalty and throw in little perks (not always discounts) to maintain it.

Although, I'm the type of person to drive to the non-nearest/non-cheapest gas station because I prefer the service at the farther one........

Genesis once bubbled...

What IS unethical is trying it on with no intention of buying there under any circumstance. THAT is wrong. But to, after trying on the product, offer a given amount of money that you know you can pay elsewhere is not unethical at all - in fact, it is not only ethical, it sends a strong message that you will buy, but only if you get a reasonable deal in the transaction.

Well...I sympathize with the LDS and with the buyer...If I knew a particular price point was necessary for me to make a deal, and the LDS was going to take a bit of time sizing me(or otherwise spending time on the sale to make it right), etc., I'd make it known early on that they don't have a deal unless they make that price...

I wouldn't put the LDS through a bunch of work and then negotiate...(assuming I knew the price point beforehand)...And, I'm not saying someone here implied that they would put the LDS through the work beforehand...but merely point out that I wouldn't.

I've bought plenty in shops and online, and believe there are places for both....

Well...I sympathize with the LDS and with the buyer...If I knew a particular price point was necessary for me to make a deal, and the LDS was going to take a bit of time sizing me(or otherwise spending time on the sale to make it right), etc., I'd make it known early on that they don't have a deal unless they make that price...

I wouldn't put the LDS through a bunch of work and then negotiate...(assuming I knew the price point beforehand)...And, I'm not saying someone here implied that they would put the LDS through the work beforehand...but merely point out that I wouldn't.

There's nothing wrong with putting them through the "work" beforehand - until you know what they will do for you, it is not possible to negotiate from a fair position.

Its called leverage, and you have every right to use any legitimate tactic in negotiating a deal. The SELLER will (he KNOWS his cost - you do not with certainty and perhaps not at all), so why should not you?

There is nothing wrong with not disclosing your bottom line price to the seller until you have ascertained that the item is indeed that which you wish to buy. This is ESPECIALLY true if there is more than one piece you are considering - what you'll pay for one might be very different than what you'd pay for something else that does the same job, based on your perception of quality, features, etc.

Take a new car. The car has a sticker on it. Is that the price you will pay? Only if you're insane. Do you tell the dealer before you drive the car what you'll pay? No. You take your test drive, look under the hood, figure out if you like the way it drives, feels, looks - and only THEN do you tell the dealer what your number is. Why? Well there are lots of cars, and all will get you to work. But what you'll pay for one has no relationship to what you'll pay for another.

A smart buyer figures out which product he would prefer, and once he's made that determination he then figures out what he's willing to pay for it. If he is considering two or three competing products, then he will figure out the "bottom line" for each of them before commencing his negotiation and trying any of them on for size. Once he knows what he'd prefer, then and only then does money come into the game.

The dealer may tell you to pound. If he does, you can choose to try to negotiate or show him the back of your head. You can bet you'll get a call if you walk though, as long as your offer was over his cost - unless the dealer does something stupid.

Is the whole thing over when you (initially) walk? Of course not, unless the seller does something to make it that way, like insulting you on the way out the door, or telling you that he "can't" sell under a given price. As soon as a seller does any of those things, he's queered the deal - he's made a "take it or leave it" statement, and has to accept that, if you have done your homework and your offer is indeed over his cost, that the odds are nearly 100% that he just lost the sale.

The ONLY way he wins in that situation is if you INTENTIONALLY made a lowball offer under his cost, with the full intention that it would be rejected, as a starting point for negotiations. Of course if you've done that then that's cool, but if you haven't - if you really DO have a competitive price elsewhere at or close to your offer - the shop you are in has just written off the contents of your wallet with such a statement.

The seller knows, if you're a serious buyer, that your money is fragile. It will get spent, and once it is, he won't get any of it, because once its gone, its gone.

I find nothing wrong with going into a store, doing my fitting and/or examination, determining which product(s) I am willing to own, developing my sense of the value of the transaction in tiotal, including whatever the shop is offering in terms of service and customer relations, and only THEN telling them what I will pay.

I cannot possibly formulate a real number that represents what I believe the entire value of the transaction is until I fully understand how I'm going to be treated, how service before and after the sale will be handled, and how much I perceive that the shop values me as a customer. It is NOT just about the lowest price - it is also about what they have in stock, how quickly they can get what I require if its not in the building, whether they will intercede in warranty issues and cover them on their own (and then seek reimbursement or replacement from the manufacturer) or whether they expect me to deal with that directly, etc.

In short, its about value, and that is impossible for me as a buyer to determine until the entire deal has been presented to me. Once that has been done, then and only then can I come up with what I believe is a fair price for the transaction.

If I want a box out the door then there is no fitting or service issue in hand - I will simply walk in, tell them what I want and what I'll pay, and either walk out with it or not.

For most things that have a "fit and comfort" component, this kind of 30-second transaction is never going to take place.

Based on a conversation I heard this past weekend I am wondering if maybe there is some hope for the LDS and the pricing they get from the manufacturers. Something about fairness in pricing, Sherman anti-trust act or something. 15 USCA , 13 Ch 1. monopolies, Sec. 13 Discrimination in pricing...

Of all the things I might think I know a bit about, the law isn't one of them so maybe someonee with a background in this could help. I heard it as related to RVs but it sounded promising.

Wasn't in Genesis that said he had some state's attorney general interested in this very thing over a year ago?

Do I think what the manufacturers are doing is illegal? Maybe. What's the chance that they'll show up on anyone's radar that can do anything about it? Just about zero.

Roak

I buy most of my gear online. Period. My LDS in the neighborhood have helped me very little and pushed me towards buying the most expensive gear with lame phrases like "your life depends on it". Sorry, but I cannot stand this phrase anymore. I found most of my questions answered on this board anyway.

On top of that, the LDS price is generally 30-50% higher than LP. If something breaks, I'll return it to LP and get a new item back within a few days. If I return anything to the LDS, I have to argue and the hassle of waiting weeks for the warranty repair.

I do use my LDS to purchase accessories, for rentals, charters and to service my gear.

The decision is an easy one, at least for me.

As everybody knows, you can get SCUBA equipment on the Internet a lot cheaper than at your local dive shop. I personally feel like I am cheating my local dive shop out of business and money. I want to support the LDS but some of the times there is a huge difference in the price. I feel like I am using him because I have a different customer business relationship than I have with other retail businesses. Most people are friends with their LDS owner. I feel bad when I go diving with a new “toy” and he sees it and knows I did not get it from him.

From my limited understanding of being a dive shop owner I assume/think they have to sell at a certain price. Take a “SPARE AIR” you can buy it on the Internet for $200 but a LDS can only sell it for $299. I just purchased a regulator online for $197 and my LDS sells it for $350. That is $150 bucks difference!

My questions.
Do LDS have a minimum price they can sell at?

Are “these” Internet shops/sites doing anything wrong?

Are there regulations and agreements between dive shops and Companies (DACOR,SHERWOOD, etc)?

What are you views? (Shop owners and patrons)

I want to support my LDS! I feel bad not buying from there! But… money is money!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom